Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2012, 05:31 PM

4,612 posts, read 4,905,305 times

Advertisements

From time to time, I see posts that claim organized religions have rules against homosexual acts.

How do homosexuals deal with this? Do they avoid organized religions, or do they simply ignore the rules of their religion, as many people do on other issues?

Still, it must be tough for them. I'm glad homosexuality is more accepted these days.

Old 12-20-2012, 05:39 PM

1,487 posts, read 1,710,394 times
I believe if more of these ancient religions would have started in the society we have today. Those issues with homosexuality wouldn't have been much of a problem. Religions are tell-tale signs of the times those folks lived in....and that's why the adherents are always so perplexed with the way societal think evolves, while they are left with the words in their books which tell them not to.

Old 12-20-2012, 05:48 PM

344 posts, read 396,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
From time to time, I see posts that claim organized religions have rules against homosexual acts.

How do homosexuals deal with this? Do they avoid organized religions, or do they simply ignore the rules of their religion, as many people do on other issues?

Still, it must be tough for them. I'm glad homosexuality is more accepted these days.
When it comes to religion, one of the things I rail about is the religious restrictions placed on what is in actuality perfectly moral human behavior. I'm talking about everything from homosexual behavior, women's rights, even such things as masturbation. I'm sure that many religious people simply ignore their specific religious tenets if they feel those tenets simply unjust. But many who are devout in their religion do not ignore the tenets no matter how absurd they may be. Many of those people who violate their religious doctrines go on to feel tremendous guilt.

I'm sure that there are religiously devout gays who find it impossible to resist their natural urges, so they partake in gay sexual activities, but often at the price of pointless faith-based guilt. Just because some silly, antiquated, religious doctrine is not adhered to does not mean that violating that doctrine does not carry with it a penalty.

Old 12-20-2012, 09:20 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,230,802 times
Quote:

The ones that I've seen that claim to be homosexual and that God's ok with it tend to reinterpret a certain set of verses that say otherwise. Or they just rip them out of their Bibles.

Old 12-20-2012, 09:33 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,798,810 times
Quote:

Many gays have abandoned all forms of organized religion, because of it. It's hard to accept a religion that says God hates you for something you have no control over and never chose.

I do not believe the Bible condemns all same-sex relationships, as the original scripture dealt with pagan cultures and worship rituals, not monogamous 21st Century relationships. Most Jews and liberal/moderate Christians agree with this view.

Conservative Christians continue to condemn gays, and will to their grave. God will not be applauding them for it, however.

Old 12-20-2012, 09:39 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,230,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Many gays have abandoned all forms of organized religion, because of it. It's hard to accept a religion that says God hates you for something you have no control over and never chose.
The Bible tells me that pre-marital sex is wrong. I had the ability to not do it. I don't understand how a gay person can't do the same thing. Of course, I don't think gay people are animals that can't control their urges.
Quote:
I do not believe the Bible condemns all same-sex relationships, as the original scripture dealt with pagan cultures and worship rituals, not monogamous 21st Century relationships. Most Jews and liberal/moderate Christians agree with this view.
You believe wrongly, then. We've been over this many times.

Old 12-20-2012, 10:11 PM

8 posts, read 22,314 times
Being gay, having gay sex, and premarital sex are not wrong at all. We're humans, these are all human things, and I don't care what an old book says . Now cheating on or abusing your partner, gay or straight, that is wrong. Leading someone on to get what you want then not calling them the next day, that is wrong. Etc etc. These thing actually hurt people. It's pretty simple moral reasoning to me.

I think many gay people get turned off by organized religion due to the general attitudes toward gay people and a seeming total lack of empathy and reasonableness. I left my church when a friend in the church said "so and so is such a nice person, it's too bad he's gay and going to hell. All while fawning over someone else who got "saved" and the very next week committed armed robbery. I was out of there.

Old 12-21-2012, 03:34 AM

1,487 posts, read 1,710,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
The Bible tells me that pre-marital sex is wrong. I had the ability to not do it. I don't understand how a gay person can't do the same thing. Of course, I don't think gay people are animals that can't control their urges.

You believe wrongly, then. We've been over this many times.
Yeah, we've definitely have dealt with your false beliefs. Time and time....again.

Old 12-21-2012, 07:52 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,245,775 times
Quote:

The way I deal with it is easy, I left the church.

I have nothing to do with organized religion, and the hypocrisy that they preach.

Old 12-21-2012, 08:23 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,388,037 times
Andrew Sullivan writes at length about being a homosexual Roman Catholic. In blogs and books and talks he has discussed it.

One quote from him which comes to mind is:

Quote:
Perhaps the institution dearest to me, the Catholic church, greeted the emergence of gay people in a way that never truly reflected the compassion of Jesus or the good faith arguments many of us offered as a way forward. This was sad to me, but not life-changing. I know the Holy Spirit takes time, as James Alison reminds us. But then came the sex abuse crisis. Like many others, the truth about the evil in the heart of the church, and the cooptation and enabling of that evil, and the refusal to take real responsibility for the evil, simply left me gasping for air. I realize now that my Catholic identity never recovered, even if my faith endures in a far more modest and difficult way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality