Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2009, 02:13 PM

1,544 posts, read 3,600,291 times

Advertisements

What does the Lord have to say about remarrying your first spouse? Are you suppose to return back to that spouse or marry someone else. And is it possible for God to end the second marriage in order to return the orginal spouses together because God honor the first marrage above all other marriages following?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2009, 02:51 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,627,765 times
I have an aunt who was married five times and the last one, my uncle Jimmy, also happened to be the very first one as well. There was some strange circumstances when she was married to the fourth husband in which she had mistakenly thought for many years that Jimmy had been killed in World War II but then she found out he was very much alive and single. She dropped number four like a bad habit and remarried Jimmy. She was a very religious woman who died in her 90's about two years ago but Jimmy was a hateful, racist man. I lived with them for a few months when I was a teenager and I think she made a very poor choice. There were obviously no biblical principles being followed in this marriage, especially since it was marriage number five.

Old 03-29-2009, 04:33 PM

45 posts, read 119,846 times
As far as the Bible goes...

1 - don't get divorced
2 - if you are a Christian and are divorced, try to seek reconciliation with spouse (theoretically spouse #1)
3 - only verse that deals with remarriage with more than one exspouse (that I know of) is in OT judicial law, so some may not agree with its pertinence today. It says if a woman has remarried another man after her divorce from her first husband, she should NOT remarry the first one. Something about being defiled, I think, but remember OT judicial law also calls for severe penalties if two people have sex while a woman is menstruating and has many other laws of spiritual and physical cleanliness that many do not believe are binding on Christians (I can find the verse if anyone wants, can't right this minute).

As for God ending the subsequent marriage to restore the first...well, Jesus said that anyone who divorces his wife (and not for adultery), causes her to commit adultery with any subsequent husband. That seems to indicate the second marriage is not seen as good (well, the divorce itself is the evil). But taking that verse to mean that a second marriage (especially in the case where the first marriage occurred before the person was a believer) is not God-honoring, and that God will end it, seems a stretch to me.

An odd question. Personal reasons? Seems to me that if someone in this situation is a Christian, they can read their Bible, pray, discuss with spiritual elders and come to a God-honoring decision. God will always be found by those who seek Him.

Blessings,
Katherine

Old 03-29-2009, 04:54 PM

13 posts, read 25,735 times
Default God's Will

Please go online to... Rejoicemarriageministries.org and cprmarriageministry.org I beleave these site's will Bless you!

Old 03-29-2009, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjat32 View Post
As far as the Bible goes...

1 - don't get divorced
2 - if you are a Christian and are divorced, try to seek reconciliation with spouse (theoretically spouse #1)
3 - only verse that deals with remarriage with more than one exspouse (that I know of) is in OT judicial law, so some may not agree with its pertinence today. It says if a woman has remarried another man after her divorce from her first husband, she should NOT remarry the first one. Something about being defiled, I think, but remember OT judicial law also calls for severe penalties if two people have sex while a woman is menstruating and has many other laws of spiritual and physical cleanliness that many do not believe are binding on Christians (I can find the verse if anyone wants, can't right this minute).

As for God ending the subsequent marriage to restore the first...well, Jesus said that anyone who divorces his wife (and not for adultery), causes her to commit adultery with any subsequent husband. That seems to indicate the second marriage is not seen as good (well, the divorce itself is the evil). But taking that verse to mean that a second marriage (especially in the case where the first marriage occurred before the person was a believer) is not God-honoring, and that God will end it, seems a stretch to me.

An odd question. Personal reasons? Seems to me that if someone in this situation is a Christian, they can read their Bible, pray, discuss with spiritual elders and come to a God-honoring decision. God will always be found by those who seek Him.

Blessings,
Katherine
Not an odd question because it comes up quiet often amongst a group of women I go to a home bible study and fellowship with on a biweekly basis. We are each in our own situation regarding this...
1. Two of us, along with myself, divorced before we "knew" the word of God. I am more forgivng and compassionate since I have been in the knowledge of God much longer and I never remarried but he did; yet we still love each other. The other woman has difficulty because her husband is emotionally degrading of her and the word of God. She has a problem with the words such as "submit" to your husband since he doesn't want nothing to do with the bible
2. The other, married someone she thought was Christian but is an alcoholic and now 12 years later realized he was acting like one and now she is miserable with two adopted children involved.
3. One other woman never divorced her husband with a pyschological disorder but still wants to get married for the third time.
4 The fourth lived with her boyfriend had a baby, married and then divorced and now is coming to the Lord but now wants to remarry him if it is possible.

So there you have it; a group of lost, broken people from 22 to 60 years of age trying to get the full understanding of God's word for each situation. Was this information helpful?

Old 03-29-2009, 06:48 PM

THANK YOU for this information! I read portions of it and it gives a good prespective on the isssues of (re)marriage we never considered. It will be a blessing for the group and a great bible study!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel x View Post
Please go online to... Rejoicemarriageministries.org and cprmarriageministry.org I beleave these site's will Bless you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality