Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 09:45 PM

1,788 posts, read 4,756,651 times

Advertisements

If you had some sort of superhuman ability, would you be morally obligated to use it for good even if it went outside the functional standards of human society? For instance, would it be right for you to kill bad people like pedophiles or drug lords, if you had the ability to make it happen?

Assume for sake of argument that you wouldn't be caught or punished for using your ability, and that you could save a lot of lives by using it wisely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2009, 10:28 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,988,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZugZub View Post
........would you be morally obligated to use it for good...........
Nah.........I would become self indulgent.........probably become a Republican, live on the riviera......why waste a good fantasy on being a hero?

Old 03-29-2009, 11:02 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,867,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
Nah.........I would become self indulgent.........probably become a Republican, live on the riviera......why waste a good fantasy on being a hero?
everything but becoming a republican, I think I would still have a conscience. But.....since they would be my powers, I would certainly play with them, could be fun! Kinda like my new years resolutions, I use the same two year after year, they are the only two I can actually keep. 1. I will no longer tacitly accept unsolicited advice. 2. I will not take myself too seriously.

Old 03-29-2009, 11:04 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,988,837 times
You should take yourself a little more seriously......just a little unsolicited advice.........

Old 03-30-2009, 01:05 AM

2,255 posts, read 5,399,699 times
Quote:
If you had some sort of superhuman ability, would you be morally obligated to use it for good even if it went outside the functional standards of human society? For instance, would it be right for you to kill bad people like pedophiles or drug lords, if you had the ability to make it happen?

Assume for sake of argument that you wouldn't be caught or punished for using your ability, and that you could save a lot of lives by using it wisely.
Unfortunately as an imperfect individual, I don't have the ability to read hearts of any individual. The Bible says , not to trust your own heart let alone judge another.

Having said that, the first enity that has to be removed is most of this world's religions. Without rehashing the damage it has done throughout the ages, it is a simple matter of turning on the News and observing what has and is currently happening. Nothing is offered but the destruction of our beautiful planet Earth that they insist magically appeared in a matter of 144 hours and is the prize of God's intelligent design, but he's gonna destroy it anyway. Then you actually have to physicaly die in order to receive your reward. So their hope is realistically death oriented.

The second thing to be removed would be secularism, with all it's corrupted politics which offer no real hope beyond an elite previlaged few running the show. Nothing in their historical past proves that any of the proposed sophisticated schemes or phony moral high road of intellectualism is going to improve anything of an enlightened betterment for humankind.
Then we have the way this world's recent financial systems have in truth been operating all this time. A global financial system which of late has been exposed to be nothing more than an elaborate ponzi structure for which the above mentioned political structure knew about and were in bed with all this time.
Then we have the arrogance of science which despite our many marvelous advances, has brought our world to the brink of global environmental ruin with it's own religious prophetic visions of a Green Revolution, which has not benefitted the majority of mankind. In reality, with all three of these secularist insitutions we are told to put our hope and trust will only offer a similiar type of death oriented hope of a world from that interestingly prophetic movie Soylent Green.

But off hand I'd say that they have to be removed in that order. In the end however, I'm hardly qualified to have such a possession of such power and use it properly. Although I'm sure this was yet another of those flame attempts to hate anything and everything religious. That being the case, then put secularism right in there, because worship of the state is as equally destructuve and religious as anything else to be invented man.

Old 03-30-2009, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepacific View Post
Although I'm sure this was yet another of those flame attempts to hate anything and everything religious. That being the case, then put secularism right in there, because worship of the state is as equally destructuve and religious as anything else to be invented man.
Huh? No, it's not a flame attempt. I just wonder if people really believe that the adage "with great power comes great responsibility" is true. A la The Watchmen, you know. Being capable of great things and not using that capability in a responsible manner -- is that right or is that wrong?

Also, your comment about science; are you serious that you think science should be abolished? You seriously believe that we would be better off if we were plunged back into stone age living?

Old 03-30-2009, 07:01 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,355,911 times
Quote:

I would kill no one. Instead I would send them love. Other than that I would go around healing people.

Old 03-30-2009, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepacific View Post
Unfortunately as an imperfect individual, I don't have the ability to read hearts of any individual. The Bible says , not to trust your own heart let alone judge another.

Having said that, the first enity that has to be removed is most of this world's religions. Without rehashing the damage it has done throughout the ages, it is a simple matter of turning on the News and observing what has and is currently happening. Nothing is offered but the destruction of our beautiful planet Earth that they insist magically appeared in a matter of 144 hours and is the prize of God's intelligent design, but he's gonna destroy it anyway. Then you actually have to physicaly die in order to receive your reward. So their hope is realistically death oriented.

The second thing to be removed would be secularism, with all it's corrupted politics which offer no real hope beyond an elite previlaged few running the show. Nothing in their historical past proves that any of the proposed sophisticated schemes or phony moral high road of intellectualism is going to improve anything of an enlightened betterment for humankind.
Then we have the way this world's recent financial systems have in truth been operating all this time. A global financial system which of late has been exposed to be nothing more than an elaborate ponzi structure for which the above mentioned political structure knew about and were in bed with all this time.
Then we have the arrogance of science which despite our many marvelous advances, has brought our world to the brink of global environmental ruin with it's own religious prophetic visions of a Green Revolution, which has not benefitted the majority of mankind. In reality, with all three of these secularist insitutions we are told to put our hope and trust will only offer a similiar type of death oriented hope of a world from that interestingly prophetic movie Soylent Green.

But off hand I'd say that they have to be removed in that order. In the end however, I'm hardly qualified to have such a possession of such power and use it properly. Although I'm sure this was yet another of those flame attempts to hate anything and everything religious. That being the case, then put secularism right in there, because worship of the state is as equally destructuve and religious as anything else to be invented man.
China and Russia removed all religions. Sounds like you wish to control how everyone beliefs and thinks and have just your own religion. When you start doing this where do you stop? Will you stop short of killing those that don't think like you, who now wish to worship in secret?

Old 03-30-2009, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie Jo View Post
I would kill no one. Instead I would send them love. Other than that I would go around healing people.
Sending them love wouldn't keep them from harming others though. If you had the ability to stop a very bad person from harming someone else, and you stood by and allowed them to do it, doesn't that make you just as evil as they are? Heck, if you had superhuman powers, you should be able to prevent them from harming others without killing them if that was distasteful to you.

Old 03-30-2009, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Sending them love wouldn't keep them from harming others though. If you had the ability to stop a very bad person from harming someone else, and you stood by and allowed them to do it, doesn't that make you just as evil as they are? Heck, if you had superhuman powers, you should be able to prevent them from harming others without killing them if that was distasteful to you.
Wait! You said if I had powers, and sending love can then be very powerful. But yes, I am against capitol punishment, but that is not the subject here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality