Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 03:14 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,720,562 times

Advertisements

This is certain, the religious extremists and the atheist extremists who fight over evolution are never fully educated on it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2009, 03:23 PM

89 posts, read 247,571 times
Why the quotes around fossils? You don't believe they exist?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
Pay attention to #1 and #2

How am I possibly expected to trust that the "fossils" that support your theory are real when we look at hoaxes like these?

Piltdown Man: Top 10 Science Hoaxes: Science Channel

Old 04-07-2009, 03:49 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,624,668 times
Creationists are always chattering about the few hoaxes that have come up over the last century or so while they remain completely ignorant of the hundreds of thousands of fossils that are in museums, universities and other places all around the world. In fact there are so many that there isn't room to display all of them and most of them are organized in huge storage areas where researchers can have access to them. Creationists also hate to admit that it was the diligence of scientists who have uncovered these hoaxes and set the record straight. I wonder why we have never heard anything about so called creationist scientists who have uncovered the outright fraud and deception that creationism is founded upon.

Old 04-07-2009, 03:54 PM

1,167 posts, read 1,520,520 times
Forgive me, but I believe that both sides of the equation are equally baised! Science is just man trying to figure things out. If we had it all figured out one way or another there would be nothing to study anymore. Therefore neither side has been proven right or wrong, yet both sides say "I am right and you are wrong" no one on either side will ever be convinced by the other side and no one on either side will ever have more proof than the other. Until we can go back in time and watch how the world came into existance and how different things were formed, we will always have these arguments because neither theory can be proven!

Old 04-07-2009, 04:37 PM

307 posts, read 1,181,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
Creationists are always chattering about the few hoaxes that have come up over the last century or so while they remain completely ignorant of the hundreds of thousands of fossils that are in museums, universities and other places all around the world. In fact there are so many that there isn't room to display all of them and most of them are organized in huge storage areas where researchers can have access to them.
This is very true, so many in fact there's a huge shortage of trained professionals just to identify and sort out the thousands sitting around various places. It's beyond laughable into downright WTF that people still question the validity of fossils or even transitional fossils. We live in the information age, and while no one claims science has it all figured out, the level of (willful) ignorance is simply frightening.

Old 04-07-2009, 04:42 PM

33,544 posts, read 37,140,220 times
I have long puzzled over and not understood the creationist mind, and why it is so anti science that it shuts out the vast amount of obvious evidence for evolution, but this site helped me understand, just a tiny bit. "God Loves Me, So Evolution Can't Be True: Creationist Psychology Revealed"

The need for a loving father figure and an ultimate purpose in life is what drives the creationist engine. Emotional needs and wishful thinking take precedence over the facts of evolutionary science. Within the creationist mind, perfectly at home, is the paranoid, irrational idea that the theory of evolution poisons society and turns people into selfish animals.

Last edited by sanspeur; 04-07-2009 at 04:52 PM..

Old 04-07-2009, 04:47 PM

970 posts, read 1,700,204 times
Oh no! Science is sometimes wrong! Who'd have thought!
Cases of alleged scientific misconduct and related incidents - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
In chemistry too! And physics! Even in mathematics! Clearly scientists are not to be trusted to any degree. Guess we have to go back to the middle ages, eh? If only we had a way to prevent frauds and hoaxes...

Old 04-07-2009, 04:52 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,603,290 times
Science's job is to uncover facts and learn. Don't forget that when the first platypus was found, it was widely held to be a hoax. A furry mammal with a duckbill? How could such a thing possibly be real?

People who insist that fossils are hoaxes just refuse to learn, that's all. They have a vested interest in denying science, because it calls their beliefs into question--something that makes them very, very uncomfortable.

Old 04-07-2009, 04:59 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,624,668 times
sanspeur wrote:
Quote:
Within the creationist mind, perfectly at home, is the paranoid, irrational idea that the theory of evolution poisons society and turns people into selfish animals.
I've thought alot about how different the concepts of creationism and evolution really are when you think about it in terms of the perceived importance of human existence. Creationism puts mankind on a pedestal above every other living thing and at the center of a dramatic power struggle between God and satan. And of course the thought of eternal life as a reward is very appealing to millions of people. Evolution tends to knock man off of his pedestal as being a unique creation and is viewed as just another variation of countless millions of species. I think that a great many religious people just don't like that idea and refuse to accept it even though the evidence is overwhelming. Creationists simply don't want it to be true because it destroys their fantasy.

Old 04-07-2009, 06:14 PM

4,367 posts, read 3,483,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
Pay attention to #1 and #2

How am I possibly expected to trust that the "fossils" that support your theory are real when we look at hoaxes like these?

Piltdown Man: Top 10 Science Hoaxes: Science Channel
And it was scientists who uncovered the hoax. Nice try though.

Btw, here's a great link for ya:http://www.skepticreport.com/creationism/thingscreationistshate.htm (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality