Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 09:53 AM

864 posts, read 871,208 times

Advertisements

I saw this question asked of churchgoers, so I thought it might apply to atheists, too. Do atheists ever think that maybe the world was created?

Last edited by iwishiwerethin; 01-06-2014 at 10:09 AM..

Old 01-06-2014, 09:59 AM

1,385 posts, read 2,454,744 times
I think atheists think the world came about without a creator. That is sort of the definition of atheism. If they thought a creator did it, they wouldn't be atheists, would they?

Old 01-06-2014, 10:45 AM

428 posts, read 487,257 times
Could the world have been created? I think that only makes sense when you discount the scientific discoveries pointing to an evolved universe and you discount the faiths claiming our creator is of a loving and just nature and still is actively present in our lives.

Old 01-06-2014, 10:51 AM

319 posts, read 604,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwishiwerethin View Post
I saw this question asked of churchgoers, so I thought it might apply to atheists, too. Do atheists ever think that maybe the world was created?
No.

Why would we?

Only those of limited understanding of the physical world, and a desperate need for simple answers believe in such things. (And those who need to focus their own personal shortcomings on something external that can be blamed)

What we do think about, is how evolution favored religion through intellectual obedience, and this favored offspring who didn't do things that would get them killed. Now that evolution allows even the least obedient to survive, watch out old world, here we come!

Old 01-06-2014, 10:52 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,383,279 times
My ex, a militant atheist said, all atheists are really agnostic.
....if they are true scientists, they must have an open mind

Old 01-06-2014, 10:56 AM

319 posts, read 604,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Then he wasn't a militant atheist.

"I certainly do not advocate that the mind should be so open that the brains fall out"
-Arthur Hays Sulzberger

Old 01-06-2014, 10:56 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,033,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
I think there are atheists with narrow minds just as there religious with the same...

Old 01-06-2014, 10:57 AM

19,999 posts, read 13,480,828 times
Quote:
If they ever do, that'd still be a long way from being created according to a particular holy book by a particular god. In general, this sort of question always has in mind, the god / holy book / dogma of the asker, either directly, or in the misplaced confidence that once the door is open to a generic god, their god will win out over all other comers.

That said, my guess is that some atheists, while seeing no evidence for a creator, acknowledge that in some ways it's a subjectively attractive idea. In the same way that they see no evidence for a pot of gold at the end of rainbows, yet could enjoy the finding of one, yet certainly don't expect that will ever happen.

Remember, unbelievers almost to a person do not claim to have unassailable proof that there is no god of any sort, or airtight information about origins. The only difference between them and you is whether or not they are willing to say "I don't know" in answer to such questions and what their standards of evidence are for saying anything more than that.

Old 01-06-2014, 10:58 AM

864 posts, read 871,208 times
Quote:
I think there are atheists with narrow minds just as there religious with the same...
Yeah, but they claim they have science on their side. Just ask them to explain their science, they get just as wild as christians when challenged.

Old 01-06-2014, 11:07 AM

48,564 posts, read 24,122,692 times
Quote:
Do atheists ever think that maybe the world was created?
Of course the earth was created, it is here, isn't it?

Did you mean to start a thread which asks if atheists ever think that it was created intentionally by an intelligence many identify as a god?

Did you mean to start a thread asking if atheists ever think that the world was created as described in Genesis?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality