Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2020, 05:10 PM

15,980 posts, read 7,039,821 times

Advertisements

There is strange relationship between Religion and Knowledge. Often there is an attempt to forbid it. Adam and Eve were banned from paradise for eating from the Tree of knowledge of Good and Evil. Expressing doubt can have you declared a heretic and thrown out. Scriptures warn about teaching to the doubtful, to be silent when approached with doubt and argument. Faith is demanded. The scriptures were kept off the hands of the lower caste. The Vedas were recited orally and passed down from teachers to students. Even the Upanishads requires qualifications for those who approach its teachings.

Do you think doubters deserve to be heard, tolerated, taught? Why?
Do you think only those why approach asking for knowledge be taught?

Old 09-04-2020, 05:28 PM

11,102 posts, read 7,171,699 times
Most of what you're referring to is from the earliest reaches of the Bible (the Adam and Eve stuff, tree of knowledge, etc), and hardly applicable in the Christian realm, thousands of years later. And the rest of the stuff is extraneous bellyaching from the church and religion, not from Jesus' words or direction.

Jesus worked with people who doubted. He understood the need to understand, and took the time to explain matters. Anyone and everyone is open to ask, doubt, explore, wonder, pursue, investigate, etc. The church might not like that, but Jesus and spirituality had (and has) no issue.

Since the post started off in a Judaic-Christian sense, I continued the line of thought with that group. Hopefully we'll get more comments along the lines of other groups too. Buddhism and Taoism certainly invite and welcome learning.

Knowledge good, religion bad. But even better than knowledge is understanding and wisdom. You could be full of information and "knowledge", and yet be brain dead in interpreting it or applying it usefully.

Last edited by Thoreau424; 09-04-2020 at 05:49 PM..

Old 09-04-2020, 05:40 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,591,051 times
I think the ones with no doubt shouldn't be teaching.

Old 09-04-2020, 08:03 PM

19,045 posts, read 27,620,833 times
cb, you do not understand, how "knowledge" works.
Knowledge is not necessary for progression. Open mind is.
One that ascended, can have knowledge about anything, by concentrating his attention, into a point, on subject of his interest. Then, instantly, entire truth about it is revealed by The Light of Intelligence.

In this manner, one needs zero knowledge, as it is understood by humans.
It is, pretty much, garbage, ballast, cluttering mind and dragging Self down.
One, that ascended, like Buddha, is IN The Light. Entire true knowledge of everything is in him, as it is the Light, and he is IN IT. There is no need for any books, secret scriptures, kabals, and so on, humanity came up with usually, to some sort of benefit of those, who proclaimed themselves guardians or, one and only in the know, of such "knowledge".
But, I am perfectly sure, that you will not listen and keep loading yourself with more and more of "knowledge"
Also, to answer your question. True knowledge is very dangerous, when is falls into hands of feeble minded person. As, it makes that person a god, grants him godlike powers. That person can turn universes upside down. Adam, who was formed from the dust of earth and only in god's image, NOT likeness, was not ready for such knowledge.

Old 09-04-2020, 09:13 PM

802 posts, read 984,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
Some of them flat refuse to answer questions or just ignore them.
But then I suppose the questions are not meaningful to the teacher.
Or the teacher doubts they know the answer.
Surely a teacher asks questions themselves. Maybe not.
Anybody out here a teacher?

Last edited by highplainsrus; 09-04-2020 at 09:32 PM..

Old 09-04-2020, 10:25 PM

50,852 posts, read 24,359,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highplainsrus View Post
was

I'm not quite clear on what your question is.

But one thing I later learned as a principal is that there are teachers who don't value learning themselves.

Old 09-05-2020, 02:58 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,744,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
There is strange relationship between Religion and Knowledge. Often there is an attempt to forbid it. Adam and Eve were banned from paradise for eating from the Tree of knowledge of Good and Evil. Expressing doubt can have you declared a heretic and thrown out. Scriptures warn about teaching to the doubtful, to be silent when approached with doubt and argument. Faith is demanded. The scriptures were kept off the hands of the lower caste. The Vedas were recited orally and passed down from teachers to students. Even the Upanishads requires qualifications for those who approach its teachings.

Do you think doubters deserve to be heard, tolerated, taught? Why?
Do you think only those why approach asking for knowledge be taught?
I think that you may find three schools of though on that and never the twain of them shall meet, except on the polemical battlefield.

Rationalism says that everything is open to question. Religion says either that one can think, doubt and question within the religious box (1) or that one cannot or should not doubt or question, within the religious box.

(1) Christians (I'm talking about those as it is Christian apologists I have most experience with) have protested that they do 'think'. But I say it is questioning about Christianity, not Of Christianity.

Old 09-05-2020, 05:53 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,591,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highplainsrus View Post
to a teacher, the leaner/teacher roles are the same thing. It truly aligns with that oneness thing. I actually think of a classroom as a sacturay. It is one place where agenda's should be put down and everybody gets a fair chance to list on the board what they think. And we all look at it.

Where things start to stratify is what happens after that. Its when we start applying weights to the observations.

to me, and this is strictly personal, I teacher knows when to not be totally honest. What I mean by that is that we can't say "your not right because ...", we say "Ok, I see that, but what about this ...." and let them go.

we list things like: and ask the student "what is the basis for what you are saying?

1) ammunition to a group that sees their religion in everything
2)It doesn't matter what the reality is in these discussions.
3)Nobody's being converted or de-converted.
4) are really thinly-veiled attempts at starting a discussion meant to either trap an atheist
5)The fact there's already countless threads where the unexplained and unknown gets twisted

vs

1)"science of how the universe works"
2) the science of: people's brain state: personality disorders

Old 09-05-2020, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
But, I am perfectly sure, that you will not listen and keep loading yourself with more and more of "knowledge"
Also, to answer your question. True knowledge is very dangerous, when is falls into hands of feeble minded person. As, it makes that person a god, grants him godlike powers. That person can turn universes upside down. Adam, who was formed from the dust of earth and only in god's image, NOT likeness, was not ready for such knowledge.
So after denying the value of knowledge you claim there is some thing called TRUE KNOWLEDGE. Whatever. So you think it right to deny knowledge to those you deem unworthy.

Old 09-05-2020, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
Interesting. I believe it is true that the best way to learn something is to teach. One needs to really be sure of the subject matter in order to teach well. How does doubt help teaching?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.