Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2009, 12:55 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,663,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
The entire body of science proves there is no being that is omnipotent. That is objective evidence.
Where's the proof? It might have not FOUND it yet, but it hasn't PROVEN that hypothesis. Just like it hasn't figured out what it is that animates human life...why they can't just hook a battery up to our heads to keep electrical energy flowing constantly, and have us live forever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2009, 01:08 PM

56 posts, read 94,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agnostic soldier View Post
Believers are unable to provide adequate evidence for their beliefs.
So are non-believers

To me it is simple binary logic:

Fact - We exist (although some will dispute this)

Option A - We spontaneously created out of nothing with no intervention from any Deity.

Option B - We were created by someone/something

Either option is believed by faith.

For Option B there are various objective and subjective arguments provided by different religions.

Personally I find the Christian arguments persuasive and believe I have "met" Option B

Old 05-04-2009, 01:50 PM

4,904 posts, read 6,016,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJRR View Post
So are non-believers

To me it is simple binary logic:

Fact - We exist (although some will dispute this)

Option A - We spontaneously created out of nothing with no intervention from any Deity.

Option B - We were created by someone/something

Either option is believed by faith.

For Option B there are various objective and subjective arguments provided by different religions.

Personally I find the Christian arguments persuasive and believe I have "met" Option B
It doesn't take faith to not believe in the existence of the supernatural since believers can't empirically prove that the supernatural is true. Case in point most people don't believe in the existence of invisible leprechauns and find that disbelief to be rational since there is no evidence that proves they exist. The existence of god can't be empirically verified so there's no reason to believe that such an entity exists.

Old 05-04-2009, 01:55 PM

I don't DISBELIEVE in invisible leprechuans, because I have no proof that they DON'T exist either. I am only concerned about objective proof, if you can provide it.

Old 05-04-2009, 02:10 PM

2,430 posts, read 2,768,111 times
Default To me great people in history we beleavers and doers

IF YOUR ARE A BELIVER ITS EASY TO FIND REASONS TO BELIEVE......and it may take time but that believing bears worthwhile results , as you get older you sometimes see it. Walk outside , look at the landscape......remind yourself where it all came from and nothing ever got here without a creator.....and it wasn't you. SO BE HONEST WHERE DID IT COME FROM? I HAVE FOUND THAT IF I SIT STILL IN A QUIET STATE OF MIND ...I CAN KNOW WHAT I SHOULDN'T KNOW IN A NORMAL STATE ......THIS WAS A PRACTICE OF MANY AMAZING PERSONS, AND TO THAT I APIRE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
When I consider my point of view as an atheist and what has finally led me to hold the position that God (I'm referring to the Christian faith) does not exist and that I live in a universe in which there are no supernatural beings I see a couple of things that seem to stand out.
The most obvious problem I can see with the Christian faith is that it's been two thousand years since Jesus was supposed to have been resurrected and he was supposed to have come back to earth but he never did. After such a huge expanse of time I see that as a reason to believe he's never going to.
The creation stories of Genesis with God creating the universe in six days, the obvious mythology of the story of Adam and Eve, the impossible saga of Noah's ark and the countless contradictory passages in the Bible combined with the manic depressive behavior attributed to God appear to me to be overwhelming evidence that the Bible is not based on reality.
No one has ever presented any credible evidence of a miracle, the existence of the soul, life after death, and the list goes on. All of these factors have persuaded me to be an atheist.
I'm interested in hearing what other atheists as well as Christians feel are the most powerful influences that have shaped their belief or lack of belief. I have no doubt of the sincerity of Christians and I know that most of them must have some personal experiences that have led them to hold a point of view that is completely different than mine. So without insulting each other and in the spirit of friendly and constructive debate, what has shaped your beliefs?

Old 05-04-2009, 02:17 PM

2,430 posts, read 2,768,111 times
Default I AM LIKE the deciple Thomas........

IN SOME WAYS.....Christ did not condemn Thomas. but he answered his questions.......Jesus did not come to condemn.but to save...but he did make it clear we are all condemned ..but for faith.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Where's the proof? It might have not FOUND it yet, but it hasn't PROVEN that hypothesis. Just like it hasn't figured out what it is that animates human life...why they can't just hook a battery up to our heads to keep electrical energy flowing constantly, and have us live forever.

Old 05-04-2009, 02:25 PM

3,196 posts, read 5,398,411 times
Neither beleivers in god, nor athiests have very much evidence on their side(s).
Perhaps a discussion of what would constitute evidence of a god would be worthwhile?

Old 05-04-2009, 03:07 PM

Unfortunately, any evidence would be subjective. If miracles were to start happening, the nonbelievers would assure us that there was a scientific explanation, even if they weren't sure what it was.

Old 05-04-2009, 03:21 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,820,712 times
I just couldn't justify killing the family dog as a sacrifice when one of my children disobeyed me.

Old 05-04-2009, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
I just couldn't justify killing the family dog as a sacrifice when one of my children disobeyed me.
My parents wouldn't have had a problem with that...and then saying, "That COULD have been YOU."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality