Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2007, 12:16 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,120,494 times

Advertisements

In at least two threads, subtopics cropped up, and I'd like to see if we can discuss these topics from an historical and a religious perspective.

- reading material beyond the Bible (whichever version you subscribe to)

- authority of biblical persons and how they appear to the non-religious or to modern theologians.

- any issue that interests you that has either been discussed from a solely religious perspective and argued by those that do not practice religion

- any issue that interests you that has not been discussed from a soley religious perspective and could bare investigation

- any religious issue that concerns you and warrants exploration and discussion

Anybody game?

Old 04-06-2007, 01:56 PM

1,408 posts, read 5,096,422 times
Yes! I believe the Bible to be relevant today. If society would follow the principles of how we should conduct ourselves, I think we would have far less violence and immorality and people would actually be more reponsible for their own actions. This certainly applies to believers, but also unbelievers.

God knew what was best for us when he created us and God doesn't change. Even some of the old Levitical laws had a purpose for cleanliness and not spreading diseases, etc. I don't think all those laws apply to us today since the law was fulfilled by Jesus and we obtain salvation by grace. Nevertheless, keeping the 10 commandments and following God's instructions could never hurt us!

Old 04-06-2007, 02:00 PM

An excellent response and one to consider from the secular position.

The commandments certainly act as a roadmap to moral standards in and for the community.

We had a rather long thread on the bible's relevance. Can we allow ourselves to look beyond the testaments and see where they might be parables and not fictional footprints?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_TN_Nana View Post
Yes! I believe the Bible to be relevant today. If society would follow the principles of how we should conduct ourselves, I think we would have far less violence and immorality and people would actually be more reponsible for their own actions. This certainly applies to believers, but also unbelievers.

God knew what was best for us when he created us and God doesn't change. Even some of the old Levitical laws had a purpose for cleanliness and not spreading diseases, etc. I don't think all those laws apply to us today since the law was fulfilled by Jesus and we obtain salvation by grace. Nevertheless, keeping the 10 commandments and following God's instructions could never hurt us!

Old 04-06-2007, 02:32 PM

592 posts, read 2,810,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
- any issue that interests you that has not been discussed from a soley religious perspective and could bare investigation

- any religious issue that concerns you and warrants exploration and discussion

Anybody game?
I don't know enough about the bible to have any intelligent discussion about it, but I've wondered why some religious "leaders" such as Jimmy Baker become so corrupt under the guise of preaching the word. Is it simply being human and being overcome by greed or is (was) it a scam the whole time. I only used one example because that is the only name I could think of off the top of my head. There seem to be so few "well knowns" that are doing it as a man of god, i.e. Billy Graham.

Old 04-06-2007, 02:34 PM

592 posts, read 2,810,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post

The commandments certainly act as a roadmap to moral standards in and for the community.
Funny you put that in, I've got them on my website with the disclaimer "Even if you are a non-believer, these aren't a bad set of rules to live by"

Old 04-06-2007, 02:41 PM

It's funny, but from a biblical perspective, it was the money folks that Jesus preached against in the Temple.

I don't know any of the big time preachers in the country today. I'd be hard pressed to name any, but power does corrupt--in religion, in business and in politics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delaneyland View Post
I don't know enough about the bible to have any intelligent discussion about it, but I've wondered why some religious "leaders" such as Jimmy Baker become so corrupt under the guise of preaching the word. Is it simply being human and being overcome by greed or is (was) it a scam the whole time. I only used one example because that is the only name I could think of off the top of my head. There seem to be so few "well knowns" that are doing it as a man of god, i.e. Billy Graham.

Old 04-06-2007, 02:42 PM

Whoever came up with them, sure was one clever person! It kept the checks and balances going and the crime reduced.

Quote:
Funny you put that in, I've got them on my website with the disclaimer "Even if you are a non-believer, these aren't a bad set of rules to live by"

Old 04-06-2007, 03:26 PM

5,903 posts, read 3,795,328 times
Quote:
I think all the television evangelists can come into question here. I can't speak to someone's true intentions, but it would appear as though the likes of Jim Baker, Jimmy Swaggert, and Ted Haggard view themselves as some sort of "gods" that are immune from being punished for their sins just because they preach God's word. They may have started out with good intentions, but they most definitely lost sight of their true purpose and it became a very selfish endeavor.

I am a huge Billy Graham fan...this Godly man and his family are out there in the world witnessing in person by having crusades, intermittent surprise t.v. specials about what they are doing and who they are reaching all over the world, sending out books and literature, and have been doing this for decades. No flashy clothes or heavy make-up. This is the real deal.

For other interesting reading, I suggest Billy Graham's book called "Angels; God's Secret Agents", which was written in 1975 but is still as relevant as ever, and Anne Graham Lotz's book, "Why?", trusting God When You Don't Understand". The only evangelist I send donations to is Billy Graham, and you don't have to do that....just request whatever it is you want from his library, www.billygraham.org. You may be able to find any of these things free at your public library, I don't know.

Speaking of Billy Graham's "Angels:" book...when I was first saved I read this book because the Bible was too overwhelming for me. It is an excellent way to work up to God's word without being overwhelmed.

Old 04-06-2007, 03:34 PM

23,016 posts, read 34,383,749 times
I posted this in another thread, I think it also apply' s to the question asked here: Although the Bible is one of the most owned books, it is sadly one of the least read, mostly because people do not understand what Scripture is. They have never learned that it is God's revelation of Himself, His love letter to humanity, which describes who He is and how we can have a relationship with Him. Even some people who claim to be Christians misunderstand how valuable the Bible is as a guide for life.
Another reason people overlook God's word they assume it lacks authenticity. In their opinion, it is a collection of myths and stories written by mere men and partially true, that is because they are not personally acquainted with the author. Once you KNOW Him, this book suddenly takes on a entirely new significance.
There is nothing missing from the Word of God. Whether you need wisdom, encouragement, conviction, or warning somewhere in this book is the appropriate help for you.
God's Word is the unfolding revelation of His love for us. Every story, detail and principle from Genesis to Revelation fits a single overriding theme, the Creators redeeming love for lost mankind.
God's purpose in giving us this special book was to make it possible for us to have a loving, intimate relationship with Him, and that is why He created us.
The truth of the Bible transcends time. The eternal word of God does not change, the truth does not change, the principles of God never change.

Old 04-06-2007, 03:44 PM

It is clear that many, here in particular, live their lives through the lens of the(ir) bible, and consider it very relevant as Nana said above. And as much as I hate to quibble with words, I think it is "relevant" in the case that it is an essential piece of writing, but not necessarily contemporary in its application.

If I were asked which book or books I'd take on an island--I would undoubtedly say, among very few others, the bible. However, it is not because I believe the bible is the foundation of my life, but because it is one of the most fascinating and oft explored books (or set of books) written. The combined testaments has more characters and plots tha any book I've ever read (and I've read many).

But when I read or think of the bible, I don't think of Jesus in the NT, or Moses in the OT, I think about history. What was happening in 20BC, or 310BC, or what was the atmosphere in Jerusalem in 33AD? Who were these people and what was it they did on a daily basis.

What hardships did they face? What decisions did they make? And how many of these people described and today referenced in other books and in houses of worship, played a role in the shaping of our present lives.

I wonder how a disbeliever like Paul overcame his disdain for the early notion of Christianity, and then became the word, the name most quoted.

In the marriage thread, "to love, honour and obey" he is referenced, and we ask if he was married. I knew he wasn't from my readings, and I certainly couldn't find any evidence online. Neither could wildberries. Hoosier said, no, he wasn't married but he was learned, and made the decision not to marry to better serve God, or Jesus. wildberries said he had the authority.

My immediate question was: Is Paul's celibacy the root of the Roman Catholic Church's rigorous maintenance of the priesthood.

The other question I had was "by what authority."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.