Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2009, 06:31 PM

5,553 posts, read 8,007,462 times

Advertisements

To me it seems so and it seems to arise less from reality and more out of an imagined fear arising from "end times" paranoia in which they believe the forces of evil are growing in power in advance of Jesus' supposed return.

In some cases it seems rather ridiculous as ANY objection to their views/beliefs is considered an example of evil trying to stamp out their voices or presence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2009, 06:38 PM

I remember when I was a fundamentalist who used to buy into the end times jitters log before the scenarios became popularized in the Left Behind series. One fear was that there would be persecution of Christians where Bibles and Christian services would be outlawed which would lead to severe Christian persecution.

Old 05-17-2009, 06:57 PM

Posts like this one is what got me thinking about this:

Quote:
Unfortunately I believe it will be law in all states within 10 years and Christianity, true Christianity, will be outlawed once again as hateful. I hope the Lord returns by this time but for all we know it could be another 60 years before His return because the world can get so much worse than what it is. Once the gays get their way it leaves the door open to all who want to marry in their own way like polygamy, incest, beastiality and many other sexually perverse relationships.

Old 05-17-2009, 07:10 PM

4,173 posts, read 6,689,002 times
Probably due to a combination of some /all of below:

- new polls indicate people in the US are becoming less religious

- 30 yrs ago, we could do whatever internationally - now we need to include other religions in our calculations. We no longer have the carte blance from the christian god as other gods are interrupting us

- more immigration means the flock is getting exposed to newer ideas - some pretty good and intimidating

- they are left with the lower hanging fruit in the third world - which is ok for them but they would rather the US be 100% christian

- Western Europe is also disappointing in terms of market growth

- Republicans lost this time and some of the hardcore types are in that party

- being passive-aggressive and feigning persecution makes it easier to attack others, including the constitution.

- FOX News and its repeated airings that they are under attack

The above applies to a few, not the majority.

Old 05-17-2009, 07:15 PM

5,421 posts, read 6,506,441 times
For at least 2000 years, the end has been near.

Old 05-17-2009, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
For at least 2000 years, the end has been near.
Don't get me started on this topic.

Old 05-17-2009, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmdude View Post
Probably due to a combination of some /all of below:

- new polls indicate people in the US are becoming less religious

- 30 yrs ago, we could do whatever internationally - now we need to include other religions in our calculations. We no longer have the carte blance from the christian god as other gods are interrupting us

- more immigration means the flock is getting exposed to newer ideas - some pretty good and intimidating

- they are left with the lower hanging fruit in the third world - which is ok for them but they would rather the US be 100% christian

- Western Europe is also disappointing in terms of market growth

- Republicans lost this time and some of the hardcore types are in that party

- being passive-aggressive and feigning persecution makes it easier to attack others, including the constitution.

- FOX News and its repeated airings that they are under attack

The above applies to a few, not the majority.
Very good points. Thanks.

Old 05-17-2009, 07:20 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,449,435 times
the greatest achievement of satan in 21st century was to convince us he does not exist.
next best is treating somebody bad and then telling them they got a complex.

Old 05-17-2009, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
the greatest achievement of satan in 21st century was to convince us he does not exist.
next best is treating somebody bad and then telling them they got a complex.

Where have I heard this a million times before?

Old 05-17-2009, 07:22 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,449,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneInDaMembrane View Post
Where have I heard this a million times before?
every time you ask the same question. no wait if i dont post what you wana hear i got a complex right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality