Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2007, 01:13 PM

2,008 posts, read 3,329,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier_guy View Post
I am a Christian and you are asking me to give up my religious beliefs and rights because my beliefs are offending you. It seems everywhere I turn I am asked or rather told that my beliefs and traditions are offending other religions.

You’ve taken the crèche out of the town square. You’ve reduced “Merry Christmas” to “Happy Holidays”. And now you want to take the Easter Bunny and just make him the bunny. The word Easter offends you.

I am intolerant because I’m upset that these events are occurring. I am intolerant because I do not embrace others religions. I’m offensive and a stench to society because of my religious beliefs. If I share my faith, you slap me with your words. You mock me and reduce my faith to something that should be left in the history books.

Am I the intolerant one? You cannot tolerate my faith, Christianity because you want to “do your own thing…live and let live.” Why am I slapped for my so-called intolerance, and yet it is ok for you to be intolerant of my faith?

I’m told to keep my faith to myself…it’s a private thing. If you consider yourself a Christian, you’ll remember that Jesus and the apostles did not keep it to themselves. They spoke to people about their faith. If you’re not a Christian, you don’t have to concern yourself with this specific.

You keep telling me to shape up; you’re not going to tolerate my religious beliefs anymore. Stop being double-minded. Stop commanding tolerance from me when you’re unwilling to tolerate me.
gosh, christians sure oppressed aren't they?

christmas isn't even about christ anymore anyhow, it's about santa clause, presents, credit card debt and gathering around a table once a year with your family and watching it's a wonderful life and feeling good about yourself once a year. then watching them go home, saying "jesus, i am glad they finally went home" and forgetting about them the other 360 days of the year. easter isn't much better.

i can understand your point to an extent, but i have a really hard time feeling sorry for a christian when they say they are being oppressed when they can't do something that people have an objection to.

personally i find the whole christmas thing to be an absolutely disgusting excuse for a holiday. but at the same time, i think you should be able to practice it regardless of my opinion. the respect of views has to go both ways. practice whatever you want, but don't expect me to go along with something that i despise and have moral objections to. you have to respect my views as much as you expect me to respect yours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2007, 01:30 PM

679 posts, read 1,440,321 times
There's a film in development called A Separation on State Street where a woman objected to the nativity scene on government property and, well, things got ugly for her. I'd post a link, but there's that advertising rule here so go google it.

Old 04-17-2009, 02:53 PM

3,570 posts, read 8,724,906 times
This thread reminds me of what we've been talking about in the gay threads. Christians are being forced to give up their beliefs because it's not PC or it's mean. Seriously? There is so much more. But it is sad that more and more the people are anti-Christian, and anti-Bible.

Old 04-17-2009, 03:35 PM

455 posts, read 1,019,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier View Post
This thread reminds me of what we've been talking about in the gay threads. Christians are being forced to give up their beliefs because it's not PC or it's mean. Seriously? There is so much more. But it is sad that more and more the people are anti-Christian, and anti-Bible.
I know, right? Serial killers get squashed by people that are anti-murder, it is so unfair. Rapists get shunned for their belief by the anti-rapists. It is such an unjust world!

Old 04-17-2009, 03:37 PM

1,115 posts, read 3,135,600 times
Quote:
I am a Christian and you are asking me to give up my religious beliefs and rights because my beliefs are offending you. It seems everywhere I turn I am asked or rather told that my beliefs and traditions are offending other religions.

You’ve taken the crèche out of the town square. You’ve reduced “Merry Christmas” to “Happy Holidays”. And now you want to take the Easter Bunny and just make him the bunny. The word Easter offends you.

I am intolerant because I’m upset that these events are occurring. I am intolerant because I do not embrace others religions. I’m offensive and a stench to society because of my religious beliefs. If I share my faith, you slap me with your words. You mock me and reduce my faith to something that should be left in the history books.

Am I the intolerant one? You cannot tolerate my faith, Christianity because you want to “do your own thing…live and let live.” Why am I slapped for my so-called intolerance, and yet it is ok for you to be intolerant of my faith?

I’m told to keep my faith to myself…it’s a private thing. If you consider yourself a Christian, you’ll remember that Jesus and the apostles did not keep it to themselves. They spoke to people about their faith. If you’re not a Christian, you don’t have to concern yourself with this specific.

You keep telling me to shape up; you’re not going to tolerate my religious beliefs anymore. Stop being double-minded. Stop commanding tolerance from me when you’re unwilling to tolerate me.
Just look around in the USA. The Christianity that is practiced in this country is in fact, intolerant, and also it is not very spiritual at all. Many American-Christians are very ugly individuals and are not loving at all. There is a lot of hate and bitterness coming from the Christians in the USA. People are getting tired of it.

The Bush Administration really stirred up a hornets nest too. Bush did some very terrible things and fundamentalist Christians in the USA rallied behind him, and loved him, blind to his ignorance. It just showed how gullible and dangerous these people are.

The problem is not really with Christianity. It is with the way it is practiced here in the US, and with the culture surrounding it here. Christians in other countries can actually be much cooler.

Most people don't hate Christianity itself. They hate what it has become in the USA. And they are fighting that.

Old 04-17-2009, 03:49 PM

3,570 posts, read 8,724,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyMonk View Post
Just look around in the USA. The Christianity that is practiced in this country is in fact, intolerant, and also it is not very spiritual at all. Many American-Christians are very ugly individuals and are not loving at all. There is a lot of hate and bitterness coming from the Christians in the USA. People are getting tired of it.

The Bush Administration really stirred up a hornets nest too. Bush did some very terrible things and fundamentalist Christians in the USA rallied behind him, and loved him, blind to his ignorance. It just showed how gullible and dangerous these people are.

The problem is not really with Christianity. It is with the way it is practiced here in the US, and with the culture surrounding it here. Christians in other countries can actually be much cooler.

Most people don't hate Christianity itself. They hate what it has become in the USA. And they are fighting that.

How are Christians dangerous?

Old 04-17-2009, 03:54 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,630,117 times
Quote:

You've also apparently forgotten that trivial little thing about "separation of Church and state." I don't recall ever seeing or hearing anyone bash your religion like you seem to be crying about. On the other hand, it doesn't appear that anything will please you short of being able to shove your religion down everyone else's throat.

The sort of environment you seem to be pining for is known as a theocracy. Which, coincidentally, the United States does not happen to be.

Old 04-17-2009, 04:03 PM

5,421 posts, read 6,509,454 times
The only Christians who are being asked to give up their beliefs are the ones who believe in dominating society.

Gay people aren't trying to keep Christians from getting married.
Biologist aren't trying to get evolution taught in church.
Atheist aren't trying to get children to publicly reject a belief in God in school.

In every issue that Christians have with society, it's the Christians who are trying to dominate the culture. Everybody else just wants a little room to breathe. The Christians are always forcing their God on non-believers.

Old 04-17-2009, 04:15 PM

Quote:
How are Christians dangerous?
They are dangerous because they are so zealous of their beliefs. It makes it so that through these intense beliefs they have, they can be manipulated easily.

Here's an example. George W. Bush claimed to be a devout Christian, so most of the Christians in America fully supported him, even though he was doing very stupid, blundering and even evil things. They would make excuses for Bush, and it was not until the very end of his presidency that his Christian base began to turn against him.

This is why Christians are dangerous. Their faith seems to overtake their common-sense and their individuality very often. It makes them gullible and easily herded. It makes them aggressive and hateful of other religions.

History is full of stories of evil people, or stupid people, who pose as Christians, and then the Christian masses will blindly follow them and support them in their follies. Over the centuries there have been countless examples.

I do not see this in other religions so much, except Islam.

Old 04-17-2009, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
You've also apparently forgotten that trivial little thing about "separation of Church and state." I don't recall ever seeing or hearing anyone bash your religion like you seem to be crying about. On the other hand, it doesn't appear that anything will please you short of being able to shove your religion down everyone else's throat.

The sort of environment you seem to be pining for is known as a theocracy. Which, coincidentally, the United States does not happen to be.
Exactly.

The US is not a Christian theocracy. There are many Non-Christians here. The US has unoffically been a very Christian place for a long time, but now there is more diversity in this country then ever before, and people do not want to have Christianity forced into their lives anymore.

Now, in this democracy, the Non-Christians are raising their voices about what they want in society. And they are gaining power.

Welcome to democracy. Where the majority of the people get what they want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality