Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 09:24 AM

1,703 posts, read 5,146,624 times

Advertisements

If you try to be everything to everybody you will end up being nothing to nobody. Hmmm is this what society is doing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2007, 09:31 AM

23,025 posts, read 34,419,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreameyes View Post
If you try to be everything to everybody you will end up being nothing to nobody. Hmmm is this what society is doing?
Great advise, I tried to give you points but I have to "spread them around".

Old 04-10-2007, 09:38 AM

5,909 posts, read 3,806,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiru View Post
Assuming the Bible is correct, Jesus was trying to bring the word to a people and times which were not dominated by Christianity. Now a days, especially in the US, there's no way you can say that Christians are under-represented.

I tolerate you, but I don't tolerate people who try to say ridiculous things like "Only Christians go to Heaven" and accost me in the street handing out flyers to that effect.

Yes, intolerance of other religions offends people. While this country may have been founded on Christianity, the nation has seen a huge increase in different religions. You must embrace them.

This is how I see it. If you are right and only Christians get into Heaven, why do you try to convert everyone to Christianity? The way I see it, fewer Christians equals more room in Heaven for the rest of you.

I'm tired of Christians thinking they are righteous and the only way of believing in anything. I'm tired of Christians believing their Bible should be honored in every way in the law. So just because of a Bible, which has been written and rewritten by man, says that a woman shouldn't have an abortion then Christians feel it is right to stand outside clinics and harass women in these stressful times? Ever heard of do no harm, treat others as you would be treated? Every time I see these disgusting people I want to know where they live so I can laugh at them and harass them every time something bad happens to them. But I don't! Why? Because I have a moral code that doesn't spring from religion. I'm not ruled by ridiculous writings from a time when women were made to serve their husbands and any number of other things were required.

The same thing goes for gay marriage. Christians like to say they love everyone, blah, blah, blah. But that doesn't stop them from trying to deny human beings (supposedly created in God's image) from basic human rights. Face it people, the Bible was written by HUMAN BEINGS from a time when gays were not accepted, just like women were then subordinate to men. What sense is there for an all powerful being to make a group of people just so they can suffer? If he's desperately fighting Satan for souls then why would he have created a group of people guaranteed to go to Hell, thus weakening God? The people who believe God really hates gays are simply homophobic and are hiding behind a piece of Literature.

I'm tolerant so long as I'm not being harassed to reform. My fate is no business of yours.
You have a couple of valid points, but mostly you are wrong. I can relate to what you are saying because street screamers and those who come knocking at your door are very invasive and usually useless tactics. I loathed that before I truly accepted Christ. I was always a believer, but to be honest, people like this are what kept me away from Christianity too.

I did know what the truth was, though, and it was up to me to get to the bottom of it and ignore all of this other stuff. On judgement day, saying that someone offended us so badly that we didn't care what the truth was is not going to be a valid argument. All of the other things that you mentioned are Bible based and are abominations in the eyes of God. Abortion, gays and marriage, etc. Abortion is murder and we all know what God did to Sodom and Gomorrha....the word "sodomy" is derived from this. We don't view that as acceptable. These are all just facts of the Bible and God's word, and that's all we are trying to say to you. We are concerned and care about your fate, those of us who are for real.

Old 04-10-2007, 09:39 AM

9,986 posts, read 18,683,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northsouth View Post
You have a couple of valid points, but mostly you are wrong. I can relate to what you are saying because street screamers and those who come knocking at your door are very invasive and usually useless tactics. I loathed that before I truly accepted Christ. I was always a believer, but to be honest, people like this are what kept me away from Christianity too.

I did know what the truth was, though, and it was up to me to get to the bottom of it and ignore all of this other stuff. On judgement day, saying that someone offended us so badly that we didn't care what the truth was is not going to be a valid argument. All of the other things that you mentioned are Bible based and are abominations in the eyes of God. Abortion, gays and marriage, etc. Abortion is murder and we all know what God did to Sodom and Gomorrha....the word "sodomy" is derived from this. We don't view that as acceptable. These are all just facts of the Bible and God's word, and that's all we are trying to say to you. We are concerned and care about your fate, those of us who are for real.

Those are her opinions and thoughts, who is anyone to say she is wrong?

Old 04-10-2007, 09:45 AM

1,477 posts, read 4,408,634 times
Quote:
Abortion is murder and we all know what God did to Sodom and Gomorrha....the word "sodomy" is derived from this. We don't view that as acceptable. These are all just facts of the Bible and God's word, and that's all we are trying to say to you. We are concerned and care about your fate, those of us who are for real.
God also viewed eating pig as an abomination, among others listed in the Old Testament.

Let's hope you didn't partake of Easter Ham?

Old 04-10-2007, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
Those are her opinions and thoughts, who is anyone to say she is wrong?
This is exactly what I am talking about....you completely ignored everything else that I said and you want to argue about the fact that I said what she said is mostly wrong? Come on, no one is saying you aren't entitled to your own opinion and thoughts here. But I am too, you know.

Old 04-10-2007, 09:46 AM

9,986 posts, read 18,683,577 times
Quote:
This is exactly what I am talking about....you completely ignored everything else that I said and you want to argue about the fact that I said what she said is mostly wrong? Come on, no one is saying you aren't entitled to your own opinion and thoughts here. But I am too, you know.
Yes, thoughts and opinions, not facts so how is she wrong? I read what you said, dont agree, but didnt feel the need to tell you so.

Old 04-10-2007, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irwin View Post
God also viewed eating pig as an abomination, among others listed in the Old Testament.

Let's hope you didn't partake of Easter Ham?
No, I had chicken. So this is about what we eat now? If you study the Bible and learn what it actually says, you will find that everything that you think is contradictory is addressed again somewhere else in the Bible.

Old 04-10-2007, 10:41 AM

863 posts, read 1,342,834 times
Quote:
No, I had chicken. So this is about what we eat now? If you study the Bible and learn what it actually says, you will find that everything that you think is contradictory is addressed again somewhere else in the Bible.
So somewhere in time God changed his mind about pork? Or maybe the people writing the Bible decided they wanted pork and changed the Bible to suit their purposes?

And really, if you want to talk about the Bible, the only "legitimate" Christians are the Roman Catholics. The Protestants were formed so Henry the 8th could divorce his wife. Evidence of men rewriting the Bible at will.

And just to repeat, my fate has no impact on yours. I have no desire for you to care about my fate because it is mine and only I can affect it. It's just that along the way to death I'd like not to be bothered by Christian conversion attempts and the imposition of Christian values on my legal system. Keep religion private and let the public do as they will. That's all I ask. I mean, Iran is religion-run and we see what that does to a nation. Why do you think a Christian-run nation would be any better? We'd have people locked up, maybe even killed, for loving their own gender. We'd have women kneeling to their husbands without any rights. Basically, we'd be what civilization was hundreds of years ago.

I just don't understand why the Christians feel this nation must be led by Christianity. The same laws that protect, for example, Muslims from practicing their faith protect Christians too. Why would you want to destroy that equality and oppress others? How is that religious? How is that respecting others? From what I understand about Christianity, you can send the word out all you like, but if you impose your will on others... well, that's a lot like trying to gain power, just like another Christian religion figure...

Old 04-10-2007, 10:46 AM

30,406 posts, read 52,016,476 times
Quote:
Oh... so do you pick & choose which contradictions to follow?? I'm sorry, but you're confusing me now. And in regards to your other post, who gave you the authority to decide who's right or wrong???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality