Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2015, 09:05 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,592,066 times

Advertisements

Where will you be in the After-Life?

Right alongside everyone else.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2015, 02:14 PM

63,939 posts, read 40,210,295 times
Default Where will you be in the After-Life?

If you really want to understand the difficulties in answering this question: Imagine you and your twin sitting in your Mother's womb asking each other what it is going to be like after you are born . . . using what you can learn about the Womb from the inside.

Old 04-21-2015, 02:26 PM

20,444 posts, read 12,821,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
The problem is 80% of what you say is good stuff. But we need to be honest.

you understand that love can be "illogical". Not right or wrong so to speak, but can distort the reality. Just like "hate" distorts the view of religion for some. The thought of a "relationship with your surroundings" is not bad per say. But you have to be at least honest with the traits you assign to it. Like this walking on water thing. You can "love" the universe. You can focus on a "Jesus human" to place these emotions on or make usable. But why do we have to follow the magic stuff.

Logically explain addiction to yourself. Then see if you are addicted to something. I means it's ok to a point right? we just need to be careful and use control.
So my love for my wife is "distorting reality"?

Old 04-21-2015, 02:28 PM

18,513 posts, read 9,193,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
If I may explain myself...

When someone falls in love with another, it's much more than a "head" knowledge. It is unmistakeably of the heart. Yes, it does often produce a warm feeling inside. That doesn't mean it's make-believe or a fairytale.

The same can be said about a person who genuinely commits their life to Christ & His work. The Holy Spirit is called the Comforter for a reason. The peace that passes all understanding...

If you have ever been in love, you'll understand.
You're admitting that "God" is actually a psychological phenomenon going on in the brain.

Old 04-21-2015, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
You're admitting that "God" is actually a psychological phenomenon going on in the brain.
If that's what I said, I didn't mean to. Quite the opposite.

Old 04-21-2015, 02:48 PM

Quote:
If that's what I said, I didn't mean to. Quite the opposite.
You suggested that believing in the Christian God was analogous to being in love. Being in love is indeed a psychological phenomenon caused by chemical reactions in the brain.

Old 04-21-2015, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
You suggested that believing in the Christian God was analogous to being in love. Being in love is indeed a psychological phenomenon caused by chemical reactions in the brain.
No. Love causes a chemical reaction.

Old 04-21-2015, 03:20 PM

20,084 posts, read 13,542,799 times
Quote:
When someone falls in love with another, it's much more than a "head" knowledge. It is unmistakeably of the heart. Yes, it does often produce a warm feeling inside. That doesn't mean it's make-believe or a fairytale.

The same can be said about a person who genuinely commits their life to Christ & His work. The Holy Spirit is called the Comforter for a reason. The peace that passes all understanding...

You are describing cathexis, the euphoric subjective experience of being in love. The human psyche is not capable of sustaining emotional highs indefinitely. Ask anyone who has been married a few years who is capable of honesty and they will tell you that love is a decision, not a feeling; and it is hard work that demands commitment, determination, devotion, and loyalty.

Some people fall in and out of love regularly precisely because they confuse love with cathexis; when cathexis fades, they want to find a new love-object to rekindle the intense feelings again. It doesn't help that colloquially we use the phrase "falling in love" to describe cathexis. "Lovesick" is probably a more evocative term.

So yes, the subjective experience of cathexis (which can happen with any person or object, real or imaginary) is real and pleasant enough. The question is, what does it signify? The presence of "true" love or devotion? Or a temporary and potentially even transient obsessive fascination with a love-object?

Real belief is informed by a preponderance of evidence; cathexis is just background noise reflecting what we hope is true, not actual facts that prove what is true.

Old 04-21-2015, 03:51 PM

Quote:
No. Love causes a chemical reaction.
Love is a chemical reaction. All of our emotions are chemical reactions. Read up on it.

Old 04-21-2015, 07:33 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,891,472 times
Quote:
If I may explain myself...

Love of God should be much more than just a warm feeling. I know exactly what you are talking about because I used to be an evangelical Christian, and I would have probably said the same things you are saying now.

Aside from the fact the love of God is different than romantic love, the main thing that bothers me with any kind of "exclusive" religion is that it basically tries to say that all other religious beliefs are wrong. By saying that Christianity is the one true faith, you are denouncing Hindus, Jews, Muslims, Sikhs, folk religions, etc, or just people raised in Christianity who don't buy into the fundamentalist view.

But all these other people love God too, don't they?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality