Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2009, 06:43 PM

5,420 posts, read 6,523,554 times

Advertisements

As per my other thread, Christians only want marriages to be about Christianity so long as we are talking about discriminating against homosexuals. They don't want the government to enforce any of the other scriptures regarding marriage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2009, 07:11 PM

1,778 posts, read 2,359,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
As per my other thread, Christians only want marriages to be about Christianity so long as we are talking about discriminating against homosexuals. They don't want the government to enforce any of the other scriptures regarding marriage.
So are you telling me that if a couple who where married in a christian church, would not get upset if the government took away the right to see your spouse in the hospital if they where dying?

how about we take away these privlages that come with being married:

• joint insurance policies for home, auto and health
  • dissolution and divorce protections such as community property and child support
  • inheritance automatically in the absence of a will
  • joint leases with automatic renewal rights in the event one partner dies or leaves the house or apartment
  • inheritance of jointly-owned real and personal property through the right of survivor ship (which avoids the time and expense and taxes in probate)
  • benefits such as annuities, pension plans, Social Security, and Medicare
  • veterans' discounts on medical care, education, and home loans; joint filing of tax returns
  • wrongful death benefits for a surviving partner and children
  • bereavement or sick leave to care for a partner or child
  • decision-making power with respect to whether a deceased partner will be cremated or not and where to bury him or her
Marriage Rights and Benefits (http://www.nolo.com/article.cfm/ObjectID/E0366844-7992-4018-B581C6AE9BF8B045/catID/F896EE61-B80C-4FE1-B1687AC0F07903BA/118/304/ART/ - broken link)

read the list on this site, do you think it would be fair to take these rights away from a couple involving a man and a woman? Do you think that every religious person would allow that to happen?

Old 06-07-2009, 07:22 PM

5,420 posts, read 6,523,554 times
You're preaching to the choir.'

Maybe I wasn't clear. What I meant was that the bible has a bunch of restrictions on marriage. You can't marry outside your religion, for example. But Christians are okay with letting that slide. It's only when it comes to gay folks that they raise the scriptural objections, which I think proves they are not sincere.

Old 06-07-2009, 07:46 PM

I apologize I miss understood the post, but my point still sticks...do you or anyone else here think that they would allow what I posted in my previous post?

Old 06-07-2009, 09:52 PM

7,628 posts, read 10,995,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fracturedman View Post
But who has the right to decide when that persons "house" is on fire? Just because you see flames doesnt mean they do. Also, who says anyone has the right to say when someone else needs saving?

The problem with most people who use religion or the bible to back them up dont always know all the facts and they assume that someone wishes to be saved.

I am sure that homosexuals do not feel the need to be saved and since science has not proven it to be an illness but infact something that occurs naturally in humans and animals, who has the right to say otherwise.

Its like someone who thinks fishing is fun and someone who doesnt the person who likes it likes it for their own reasons and will always like it. The person who does not like it will never like it and cannot understand why the other person does.

If religious people think that a homosexuals lifestyle is "on fire" then they need to back away from the fire. Homosexuality has nothing in common with things that constitute as a crime.

You cannot compare murder and rape to homosexuality. If a group of people where to start preaching that religion was bad and infact evil...most people would see it as a joke and not take it serious, why you ask? becasue Religious belief is a personal choice as is sexuality and most other things that humans do.
Sometimes we hear stories of people being attacked in the street, and so many people just walk by and let it happen. I can see by your answer, you would be one of those people. Rather then rush to their aid and defend them, you would be telling yourself, it's none of your business and walk on. WOW.

And people who donot wish to be saved, are not aware of the danger of not being saved. So the whole idea matters little to them. And (I) donot compare murder, and rape to homosexuality. The Bible does. And the Bible is not a Book to be taken lightly. I have personally had some real encounters with the living God. Most people have no idea how real He is. And because of His past dealings with me, I take serious the things written in His Book.

Old 06-07-2009, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell34 View Post
Sometimes we hear stories of people being attacked in the street, and so many people just walk by and let it happen. I can see by your answer, you would be one of those people. Rather then rush to their aid and defend them, you would be telling yourself, it's none of your business and walk on. WOW.
I have been in situations like you discuss, I saw a women getting beat and I ran over and interfeared with the abusing male. I got in his face and addressed that if he wanted to hit someone he could hit me, and that if he tried to hit the woman again I would break his arm. When the man assaulted me I took hold of him and returned the favor. I was the only man on a very public street with many people do do this.

Clearly you do not understand that a person who is in a situation not by choice but by force needs to be saved. Homosexuals are born this way and some choose it...NO ONE IS FORCING THEM TO HAVE SEX WITH THE SAME SEX.

Quote:
And people who donot wish to be saved, are not aware of the danger of not being saved. So the whole idea matters little to them.
Just because you say it is wrong does not make it wrong. Just because some men along time ago wrote a book on how to live does not mean we should still continue to practice it. Until God himself tells me that the bible is his word I can only assume that it is mans interpretation of what they think god would say.

You and I could both right a book that interpretations what we think he would do in any situation...does not make right though.

Quote:
And (I) donot compare murder, and rape to homosexuality. The Bible does. And the Bible is not a Book to be taken lightly. I have personally had some real encounters with the living God. Most people have no idea how real He is. And because of His past dealings with me, I take serious the things written in His Book.
How can you say you take serious the things written in the bible and believe in them if you say that you do not think murder and rape is similar to homosexuality, even thought the bible you believe to be right says so?

My point is that you deem homosexuality as wrong and as a sin. If I recall the bible also says that it is a sin to judge others. You claim to be trying to save them when infact you are trying to save yourself. If stopping homosexuality because it was a sin casued you to burn in damnation for all eternity you would not try to stop homosexuality. The person who needs saving is not the homosexual but yourself.

If you saw a homosexual being assaulted would you stop the assault and then damn the homosexual for being gay? Or would you ignore the assault becasue it was his fault for being gay?

Religion obviously has put others above understanding my point and it is beneath you. Well, sorry I have to go stone someone now and sacrifice a goat.

Old 06-07-2009, 11:36 PM

7,628 posts, read 10,995,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fracturedman View Post
I have been in situations like you discuss, I saw a women getting beat and I ran over and interfeared with the abusing male. I got in his face and addressed that if he wanted to hit someone he could hit me, and that if he tried to hit the woman again I would break his arm. When the man assaulted me I took hold of him and returned the favor. I was the only man on a very public street with many people do do this.

Clearly you do not understand that a person who is in a situation not by choice but by force needs to be saved. Homosexuals are born this way and some choose it...NO ONE IS FORCING THEM TO HAVE SEX WITH THE SAME SEX.

Just because you say it is wrong does not make it wrong. Just because some men along time ago wrote a book on how to live does not mean we should still continue to practice it. Until God himself tells me that the bible is his word I can only assume that it is mans interpretation of what they think god would say.

You and I could both right a book that interpretations what we think he would do in any situation...does not make right though.

How can you say you take serious the things written in the bible and believe in them if you say that you do not think murder and rape is similar to homosexuality, even thought the bible you believe to be right says so?

My point is that you deem homosexuality as wrong and as a sin. If I recall the bible also says that it is a sin to judge others. You claim to be trying to save them when infact you are trying to save yourself. If stopping homosexuality because it was a sin casued you to burn in damnation for all eternity you would not try to stop homosexuality. The person who needs saving is not the homosexual but yourself.

If you saw a homosexual being assaulted would you stop the assault and then damn the homosexual for being gay? Or would you ignore the assault becasue it was his fault for being gay?

Religion obviously has put others above understanding my point and it is beneath you. Well, sorry I have to go stone someone now and sacrifice a goat.
If the Bible is only mans interpretation, then all the prophecies of the Bible should be wrong. Because God alone knows the future. Yet this is not the case. The Bible clearly tells us that in the last days, God would allow the Jewish people to return to the land of Israel, and retake Jerusalem. God tells us their return would anger the nations, and God clearly tells us that He will allow them to return, but not for their sakes. God states that the Jewish people polluted His name where ever they wandered. God has allow the Jewish people to return to Israel to anger the nations. And at His appointed time, God will reveal Himself to the World.

Jesus said it is a sin to judge others when He gave the Sermon on the Mount. Jesus also said, if a man lust after a woman, He should pluck out His eye. The purpose of that Sermon was not a lists to follow. Jesus was telling the Jews of that time, how good they would have to be if they though that the Old Testament Law would save them. Jesus expanded beyond the law, and the Jews present then understood that it would require something greater then the law to be saved. And that was the point Jesus was trying to make.

The Bible clearly states that certain sins would not be praticed by true believers in Christ. Murder was one, Audultery another, Homosexuality is another. Sodom and Gamora were destroyed because of the pratice of such sin, and these kinds of sins show open rebellion against God.

And I believe all those sins are related, the post where I stated it was not (I) who linked homosexuals together with murders ect. was simply the stated truth. It was the Bible.. It was the Bible that stated they were related. I agree with the Bible, yet it was not I who pushed that orginal belief. It was the Bible.

Old 06-07-2009, 11:40 PM

61,254 posts, read 87,677,343 times
new age religion occult earth religion and atheist and agnostic push their views all the time as "non religious" viewpoints. they wish to displace the status quo with their own views.
but to say they are non religious and have no agenda is simply a disguise. jerry falwell shows up in unexpected places.

Old 06-07-2009, 11:58 PM

So you know I was recently commanded by god to write a new set of books that is his word. I tells of a great war in the near future an holy war.

People simply made predictions, look at Nostradamus he made very vague predictions...now everyone is saying that they are coming true. Do you not think that by having a written prediction that some might actually work towards making that prediction happen?

Show me proof to back up the bible and that it is fact the word of God and not of man. I am not doubting gods existence, just that the bible was in fact written by man, even good men lie on occasion otherwise we would still be stoning people because some men infact would be free from sin.

Show me scientific proof not meer speculation or comparisons from history. Science has proven that homosexuality was in fact not a disease but it was natural. They used scientific facts to do this, they have evidance as well to prove this.

Old 06-08-2009, 12:02 AM

1,807 posts, read 1,899,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikk View Post
No, it is not hte same as refering to black people being married.

Everyone of us is sinful and born into a sinful nature. We are all going to hell unless we come to the saving knowledge of Jesus Christ. All sin is against God and this includes homosexual behavior. The homosexual needs the salvation of Christ as much as the theif or the lier or the murderer. The person who has accepted Christ will leave their sinful ways. This is the foundation of Salvation to confess our sins, and further to act as if we are dead to sin. That is we live in Christ, but will not act upon our sinful desires because we have chosen to follow Christ and we have left that sinful life behind. This includes the Homosexual who comes to Christ. They will turn from their wicked ways and follow Christ.
So, instead of comparing homosexuality and black people getting married, you're comparing homosexuals to thieves, liars and murderers?

Right. Double-standard, anyone?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality