Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 10:08 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,833,500 times

Advertisements

No, not trying to convert you to that one church of a similar name that I know nothing about.

I'm just wondering who here believes in a higher power but also believes he/she/it does things through processes we recognize as "scientific" rather than "magical" in nature.

We hear a lot from the "young earth" people and the dedicated atheists, but that leaves a whole lot of space for ideas in the middle. I wanna hear your thoughts/beliefs !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2009, 10:24 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,576,349 times
I mostly, or maybe entirely, believe science explains all repeatable natural phenomenon. Also that the Universe is 13 billion years old.

I don't think I'd say God only works through nature, but the study of nature is a wonderful thing. I would not be alive if it weren't for science. I probably also wouldn't be alive if it weren't for my religion. (From a pure Utilitarian/Rational analysis my life is parasitic and I should have died years ago or never been born)

Old 12-02-2009, 10:29 AM

1,402 posts, read 3,503,395 times
If God is a scientist, then he will understand my rationale for coming to the conclusion that he probably does not exist. As a scientist, he would understand that I made this conclusion based upon the lack of any evidence of his existence.

Old 12-02-2009, 10:36 AM

2,631 posts, read 5,459,320 times
i do think that God works through nature; i think that he created physics, chemistry, biology, etc. i don't think that we yet recognize all of the natural processes, so some people will continue to explain with "magic" or other supernatural things, but i think that every year we learn more about the methods behind some of those previously supernatural mechanisms.

Old 12-02-2009, 10:37 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,833,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadbill View Post
If God is a scientist, then he will understand my rationale for coming to the conclusion that he probably does not exist. As a scientist, he would understand that I made this conclusion based upon the lack of any evidence of his existence.
I would think that too.

I just don't see how a just god would hold people accountable forever when they do not have perspective and knowedge to correctly understand the consequences of their actions. At to the mix the thousands of competing religions with all different ideas who all claim they are right and everyone else is wrong and you have a recipie for confusion.

It's also one of the reasons I think organized religion is total bunk.

I can see why religions would want people to think exactly that though...

Old 12-02-2009, 11:03 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,410,277 times
It was interesting watching "The Exodus decoded" on history. It gave some very good explanations on what natural events happened to cause the plagues on Egypt. And the kicker is, they were all interconnected by one beginning event, an earthquake storm in the Mediterranian.

It had a very good question at the end of the show. Something like this,

"Does this mean that all of the plagues were natural, and had nothing to do with an outside force called God? Or does it mean that a God may use natural events to shape human history?"

The choice is up to the viewer really I guess. I would think that Moses simply knew these things were going to happen, because he had spent so much time in the wilderness, learning the signs that we modern humans often miss of pending cataclysm. Pharoh simply meet up with someone with superior knowledge, and with a lack of a Earthly explanation, saw the events as supernatural.

Old 12-02-2009, 11:35 AM

1,402 posts, read 3,503,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
It was interesting watching "The Exodus decoded" on history. It gave some very good explanations on what natural events happened to cause the plagues on Egypt. And the kicker is, they were all interconnected by one beginning event, an earthquake storm in the Mediterranian.

It had a very good question at the end of the show. Something like this,

"Does this mean that all of the plagues were natural, and had nothing to do with an outside force called God? Or does it mean that a God may use natural events to shape human history?"

The choice is up to the viewer really I guess. I would think that Moses simply knew these things were going to happen, because he had spent so much time in the wilderness, learning the signs that we modern humans often miss of pending cataclysm. Pharoh simply meet up with someone with superior knowledge, and with a lack of a Earthly explanation, saw the events as supernatural.
OR.....

there was no Moses, and no plagues and it was all a made-up, fictional story.

When you look at it from this viewpoint, it seems kind of silly that the History channel would spend all that money to film a program about it, doesn't it?

The funny thing about the History channel is that much of their programming may or may not be....you know...actual history...

Old 12-02-2009, 12:39 PM

3,770 posts, read 10,581,790 times
God is Supernatural as He can't be explained through Science,Physics or Logic,just won't work that way.

Old 12-02-2009, 01:02 PM

3,331 posts, read 5,960,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noland123 View Post
God is Supernatural as He can't be explained through Science,Physics or Logic,just won't work that way.
However...there is science, physics and logic. The Christian says that god created everything. Therefore, god created science, physics and logic. If that is so, why is it out of the realm of possibility that your god could have used science to do the work of creation or even interaction with people on the earth?

Last edited by Fullback32; 12-02-2009 at 01:14 PM..

Old 12-02-2009, 01:11 PM

4,348 posts, read 7,360,129 times
I think he is a myth, and is no more into science than Mickey Mouse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality