Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2007, 10:56 PM

743 posts, read 2,234,818 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier_guy View Post
Well I guess you only have my word for it, I could send you a photocopy of my birth certificate or my DD214 showing when I was in the Air Force. I'm sorry that my attempt at humor didn't go over well with you. I can't make you believe me, and won't try. With the exception of that post everything I have said is completely true and honest. Yes I WAS gay. Lived in the lifestyle actively for a few years etc. I am a born-again believer, husband and dad.

I honestly don't have a bag of tricks and really don't appreciate that comment. Sorry you feel I'm stirring the pot. For all the people who are flipped out that I start threads let me offer this. Start a thread of yoru own. And if you don't like what I'm posting, don't respond and the thread will die. You have obviously got opinions...don't wait for others to start threads. Jump in the water and do one.
Wow Hoosier Guy....thank you for your honesty....I had no idea about your personal life....Praise God for your transformation and your holy and healthy family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2007, 01:26 AM

9,763 posts, read 10,532,090 times
I'm judged by all sorts of people, for all sorts of things, all the time. Such is life.

Old 06-12-2007, 04:42 AM

1,513 posts, read 3,388,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
I'm judged by all sorts of people, for all sorts of things, all the time. Such is life.
Excellent post! Short, sweet, to the point!

I wish more people would say, "Such is life." There would be a whole lot less strife if they would.

Old 06-12-2007, 07:22 AM

3,490 posts, read 3,201,958 times
I just want to chime in to say that if you read this forums with any regularity then you know I am the most heavily judged person on here. LOL

Old 06-12-2007, 07:27 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,275,819 times
Default Judging

I think it should be pointed out,though, that at least IMHO, "judging" in the sense that it is forbidden in the Bible is NOT just saying something is wrong, in error or sinful. Sometimes that's just proper discernment. To my way of thinking, "judging" in the negative sense is when we not only see someone in sin or committing error and we AlSO condemn the person themself and feel negatively towards them as a person over it, not just negative about their acts or beliefs. Thoughts?

Old 06-12-2007, 08:21 AM

646 posts, read 1,610,929 times
Of course I feel judged for my beliefs.

For the record, I judge other people too. I do not think that this is a bad thing at all.

Old 06-12-2007, 08:42 AM

7,915 posts, read 18,630,095 times
All of us are judged in one way or another by those we come into contact with on a daily basis. It's just part of living and it doesn't really bother me. I think our beliefs are not judged nearly as much as our physical appearance, social status, personal wealth and all of the other things that we're identified with by others. A person who is unattractive is going to have a much tougher time with judgements about their appearance than judgements about their beliefs. Unfortunately, most of these judgements are very petty and shallow but if any of you have worked in a large office building or any work place where you encounter a variety of people and personalities you know what I'm talking about. I think that a religious belief is not judged any more harshly than a political or social belief in modern American society.

Old 06-12-2007, 12:38 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,532,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
To my way of thinking, "judging" in the negative sense is when we not only see someone in sin or committing error and we AlSO condemn the person themself and feel negatively towards them as a person over it, not just negative about their acts or beliefs. Thoughts?
I read something to this effect quite often, and it makes little sense to me.

People make mistakes, and I understand that we shouldn't judge someone based on a mistake, but what is a person if not the sum of his actions and beliefs? When I form an opinion of a person, I base that opinion first on his actions, and possibly on other criteria as well. For example, a certain co-worker is extremely lazy - no two ways about it. I do not like being paired with him on any job. Another co-worker is a chronic liar. I feel negatively toward both these men.

What of thieves? Abusive parents? Drunks? Are we to feel good about them as people - except for the thieving, abuse and drunkenness?

Some people are not to my liking. They may be fine toward someone else, but I'm not someone else. Others are just no good.

In many cases, I cannot separate the person from his actions and beliefs, and I don't feel I should.

Old 06-12-2007, 12:52 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,275,819 times
Well, Nvx, I admit you make a point. I don't feel too swift about serial murderers either!

But having said that, I know that as Christian (and I know you are not) we are commanded not to be critical and judgmental. Judge not that you be not judged and so forth. So ... where's the balance? I don't think God is calling us to overlook reality here, but also we need to avoid a condemnatory, self-righteous attitude towards others. Try to look at their foilbles and failures from the framework of mercy rather than harsh criticism. Look at them from the best possible scenario rather than the worst... And there is a place for tough love where some of these things get confronted.

Also, I don't think we have to be best friends with people whose behavior we don't approve of, but I do think, we Christians at least, are called to love them and give them room to change.

Old 06-12-2007, 01:26 PM

30,360 posts, read 51,970,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueberry View Post
Excellent post! Short, sweet, to the point!

I wish more people would say, "Such is life." There would be a whole lot less strife if they would.
Do any of you watch the Tyra Banks show? She's started a campaign called "SO WHAT?", mainly in response to the whole "Tyra is fat now" tabloid storm... maybe we should all say what we're feeling "SO WHAT" about. For instance, I'm judged all the time for being slightly overweight & tattooed - and who gives a flying you-know-what? I am who I am, and the people who know & love me don't judge - and that's all that really matters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality