Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 12:11 AM

1,780 posts, read 2,355,464 times

Advertisements

I am curious to know why religions have to get so involved with things like gay marriage and other issues? Why does it always come down to the bible for members of most religious groups? Why cant Religious people simply just offer a bible to someone and leave it be...why do you have to force your ways on others?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2009, 12:45 AM

8,762 posts, read 11,585,067 times
Good question.

I always wonder myself.

Old 06-05-2009, 04:38 AM

2,595 posts, read 4,443,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fracturedman View Post
I am curious to know why religions have to get so involved with things like gay marriage and other issues? Why does it always come down to the bible for members of most religious groups? Why cant Religious people simply just offer a bible to someone and leave it be...why do you have to force your ways on others?
Why can't homosexuals be content to just be homosexuals? Why do they have to invade a religious ceremony designed for one man and one woman? Why do they have to feel that God is OK with their sinful lifestyle?

Why do homosexuals have to force their way on the rest of society? Homosexuals are not passive in their beliefs, so why do you say that religious people have to become passive?

Old 06-05-2009, 04:59 AM

9,726 posts, read 16,760,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikk View Post
Why can't homosexuals be content to just be homosexuals? Why do they have to invade a religious ceremony designed for one man and one woman? Why do they have to feel that God is OK with their sinful lifestyle?

Why do homosexuals have to force their way on the rest of society? Homosexuals are not passive in their beliefs, so why do you say that religious people have to become passive?
When you say, "The lifestyle you're living is a sin, and you shouldn't be allowed to marry unless you marry someone of the opposite sex." They hear, "The person you are is a sin, and you should not be afforded the same rights as the rest of us." I know it's probably incredibly difficult for you to see an issue from someone else's perspective, but to a homosexual it's like telling black people they shouldn't be allowed to married because it's a sin.

Old 06-05-2009, 05:12 AM

4,323 posts, read 6,030,181 times
Quote:
To be religious, you have to follow what everyone else believes without doing the research yourself. Most people are insecure when they step away from what they have been comforted by their entire lives. When they try to step away, they are scared of what may happen (lose friends, family, be picked on, etc). So they go back to the way they were so that they don't have to be alone.
To push religion onto others is their way of saying they don't want to be alone. They want the whole world to believe the way they do and then get angry when others don't see things their way.
My sister is catholic and we can't talk about religion because she always has to be right no matter what is said. I know there are alot of religeous people who are open minded, however, the majority are closed.
When we all can see each other for who we are, we may know peace but not before. We have to let go of false ideas. People like what is secure to them and, unfortunately, false ideas comfort.

Old 06-05-2009, 05:13 AM

4,511 posts, read 7,526,542 times
Quote:

fractured man in between states of mind may have failed to understand communications. imho.

it's not religion interfering with your freedom, rather the other way around, all variations possible with reality fast overtaking virtuality. imho.

wise? smart? or only shrewd and utterly selfish?

Old 06-05-2009, 06:07 AM

2,339 posts, read 4,405,955 times
Quote:

Marriage doesn't have to be a religious ceremony and you know it. Where does it even say in the bible that it has to be any kind of ceremony. For that matter where does it say that you have to get married? I know the one about the rules for a bishop....and the OT is a lousy example since men were disgusting pigs back then and had tons of wives and concubines. I think it is safe to say that it is more of a legal ceremony.

Old 06-05-2009, 06:35 AM

5,421 posts, read 6,510,632 times
My wife and are are atheist, yet the christian folks were nice enough to allow us to get married. Maybe we just slipped through the cracks undetected.

Old 06-05-2009, 06:35 AM

28,970 posts, read 30,328,577 times
Quote:

Because homosexuals are human beings to...and when religious people start remembering, they are no less or no more then you are, things will get better. Religious people have this holyer then though attitude, and THINK they're better then everyone else, when in fact, a lot of times, not all, they have more problems then the norm.

I've been to many churches, many...been a sunday school teacher and a youth group advisor...went to Bible Study every Wed. night, and yanno what...whatever my religion, my sexual prefrence, my choices, is a personal relationship with God. It's not for anyone else to judge me because I may think differently then they do. I've never met such bigots in my entire life, like those who go to church...and then there are those who are truly followers of God, who don't vocalize that they go to church every Sunday, who are humble and kind, loving and very giving people. People I admire and they don't ram religion down your throat.

I know of an entire family that I grew up with, who are now reformed Baptists...and real hypocrates. They owned a business and really took me for a ride...cheated me when I went to them and asked them if I had any antiques in the boxes I took them. They said, "Ohhh no, nothing here is worth anything. I trusted them, so I sold the boxes to them. A few weeks later I walked into there store, and there was a 50.00 price tag on one of my dishes that they said, wasn't worth anything.

One of the boys is now a supposidly pillar in the community. Sheeesh... He was a slum lord. He owned apartments and was very mean to the people he rented to...charged them an arm & a leg but did no thing to make the building nicer looking for his renters and for the community. Unbelieveable.

So, my point is, leave others a lone...stop judging others and be more concerned with making a better person of yourself, instead of ramming your beliefs down the throats of everyone else. Remember, your human, and you probably have more skeletons in your closet then most gays.

I sincerely believe that a lot of Christians, not all, are the most judgemental people I've ever known, and very quick to lash out at someone else.

And this tithing business...Sheesh, it's a real good way for the church to stay in business is all. Not to mention, the Catholic priests who touched little children and were transfered, b/c of fear of scandal. How humanly pathetic is that. Those who knew, were just as guilty as those who sexually assulted those children for covering it up. I have no faith in human beings or the church any longer...
A real Christain would embrace the laws as well as loving God. Besides, again, a spiritual relationship between God and myself is my business, not yours or anyone elses.

If two people want to get married, no matter how strange it may seem to you...well, that is their business and between them and God.

Again I say, all the children being sexually abused, and all you so called Christians, allowing it to be so, to me, is disgusting. Why don't you rally where it might do some good and truly help save the children and leave the gays alone, as well as those who choose to get abortions. That is their perogative, their choice, and between they're God and themselves...it's not for you, to tell them what to do or how to live they're lives, period.

And by the way, The Bible was written by MEN, human beings...therefore, while I believe in God, I tend to question the Bible, due to man's lust for power. And history proves that. Men way back, surpressed women and used them, but feared them if they had an opinion, or were passionate about their beliefs..so men/priests burned them at the stake calling them witches, b/c those men, feared a women who possed independence and intelligence.

And by the way, The Church is way powerful politically, pulls votes, and is just as corrupt as any other political power. It's all about THE MONEY and POWER and actually believing YOU have a RIGHT to dictate to others how to live they're lives. If you'd consentrate that much on yourselves, this world might be more harmonious.

Last edited by cremebrulee; 06-05-2009 at 06:50 AM..

Old 06-05-2009, 06:38 AM

4,049 posts, read 5,036,579 times
Quote:

What do you mean "force their way on the rest of society"? Live their life the way they feel right? Ask for the same rights that your loving relationship gets? They don't try to force you to behave a certain way with your lover. So why do you try to do that to them? What you should just do is not be gay, if you think it's wrong. But since there is no harm from homosexuality, you have no right to force your opinion on others in a way that affects their lives negatively. Don't you understand fairness and equality?

The funny thing is, homosexuality is hardly in the bible, and where it does say it's wrong, it also says things most christians do are wrong also. So who knows why christians decided this thing is wrong and eating shellfish is not? Oh, probably because it's one of the only socially accepted ways they can still be discriminatory jerks, and/or they are closet gays themselves who fight against it to help them deny it. Oh, almost forgot the third possible reason: they can't think for themselves and have to get morality from those whose motives are the first two reasons I listed.

Last edited by LogicIsYourFriend; 06-05-2009 at 06:50 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality