Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2009, 09:08 PM

504 posts, read 902,815 times

Advertisements

The patriarch of the Orthodox Church of Ethiopia says he will announce to the world Friday the unveiling of the Ark of the Covenant, perhaps the world's most prized archaeological and spiritual artifact, which he says has been hidden away in a church in his country for millennia, according to the Italian news agency Adnkronos.

'Ark of the Covenant' about to be unveiled?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2009, 10:14 PM

1,317 posts, read 2,056,462 times
How convenient,multiple copies so I guess no one will be allowed to verify the authenticity and we will all be told that to touch it is certain death.

Ironic that the so called caretakers of the ark are supposed to have abundant prosperity, according to the legend, yet Ethiopia is well known for long time famine (since I was 10) and poverty, guess gawd fell asleep at the wheel.

Old 06-26-2009, 10:37 PM

33,559 posts, read 37,160,046 times
Oops....I guess not...

Hark! Where's the Bible Ark?

Old 06-27-2009, 04:03 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,750,770 times
That's interesting. I understand there's supposed to be a connection with the Queen of Sheba (Saba in Yemen) and there's supposed to a off-line family relationship with Solomon and the offspring somehow got hold of the Ark (the Temple one, not the flood one) and it ended up in Ethiopia. Maybe I'll look up the actual supposed chain of events. Anyone who wanted to get a look at it was disappointed as it couldn't be allowed to be seen, which of course looked fishy. A description, if not some piccies, should allow some educated guesses about provenance on art -style grounds.

Old 06-27-2009, 04:16 AM

1,289 posts, read 2,126,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Oops....I guess not...

Hark! Where's the Bible Ark?
Great article. What it does show is the astonishing IDOLATRY of the people surrounding this purported artifact. And, hey, isn't that considered a mortal sin?

Old 06-27-2009, 09:14 AM

I'd seen that before - or something similar, postulating a fleeing from the persecutions of Manasseh rather than the son of Sheba inheriting it. Only I recall that article claimed that the Ark ended up in a Museum in Zimbabwe where it had turned out be a Hebrew tribal drum, not in a Cathedral in Ethiopia.

Old 06-27-2009, 11:50 AM

7,915 posts, read 18,630,095 times
There's an English writer whose name escapes me at the moment who has produced a documentary which I've seen a couple of times. That's exactly where he says the Ark of the Covenant is located so it will be interesting to see how this plays out. I also suspect that this is probably just an old replica and I don't expect to see any magical happenings such as we saw in the Indiana Jones movie. If they do present an Ark I also wonder if they'll allow scientific testing, particularly to see how old it really is. I doubt that they will because it could turn out to be another flop like the Shroud of Turin.

Old 06-27-2009, 12:55 PM

So far, there's nothing definite. I'm always eager for some new artefact to turn up to add to our knowledge. So far all that's been turned up are figurines that indicate how polytheistic it was in old Judea and tombs on Akeldama that turn out to be nothing to do with Jesus and a theist fraternity who are unsure whether it would suit them if it was.

Old 06-27-2009, 01:03 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,719,218 times
Not even a half-hearted attempt at bait-and-switch, just full out BS, as usual. This man's credibility is crap. There is no ark in that temple, just some box they are suckering everyone into believing in. Power hunger takes many forms.

Old 06-27-2009, 06:56 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,464,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
There's an English writer whose name escapes me at the moment who has produced a documentary which I've seen a couple of times. That's exactly where he says the Ark of the Covenant is located so it will be interesting to see how this plays out. I also suspect that this is probably just an old replica and I don't expect to see any magical happenings such as we saw in the Indiana Jones movie. If they do present an Ark I also wonder if they'll allow scientific testing, particularly to see how old it really is. I doubt that they will because it could turn out to be another flop like the Shroud of Turin.
1) A good replica will be a great find, since nobody actually knows how the original ark looked like.
2) Another documentary by another famous British scholar, identified the ark in South Africa (!)...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality