Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2009, 12:31 AM

4,978 posts, read 9,513,094 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
No, this is not "the typical Christian attitude regarding firearms". What's kinda sad is that so many people, like the OP, are so ignorant that they confuse regional cultural behavior with religious attitudes and then make ignorant remarks because of their confusion. You won't see prevailing attitudes towards firearms like that mentioned in the article in New Jersey like you would in a place like, say, Western Canada (Calgary Stampede anyone?).

You need to read the Constitution. The Constitution is the Law.
No one made ignorant remarks here at all. They know the Law.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2009, 04:33 AM

4,511 posts, read 7,519,673 times
dear op!

i do not know about the u.s. but about another country i once lived in. certain churches stipulate that people not carry guns there.

after a while of attending services, you get to see a lot of men carrying guns (awesome sight, awesome insight 't was to me..

and then, i am not sure if the rcc and lutheran churches (here in germany) sending their priests and pastors to service in the armed forces, still bless weapons....

and still, in germany, there are jewish communities, which need to hire special security for their synagogues and schools. sorry to say: what a shame, and not for them!

Old 06-28-2009, 06:18 AM

2,203 posts, read 5,084,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulous1 View Post
You need to read the Constitution. The Constitution is the Law.
No one made ignorant remarks here at all. They know the Law.
yes...and isn't that law convenient for "those" types of Christians....

Old 06-28-2009, 09:35 AM

7,915 posts, read 18,622,146 times
There are certain legal restrictions already in place regarding where guns may be carried and I'm not sure how those laws would apply if the guns were unloaded. I know that it's illegal in places that serve alcohol like bars and night clubs which seems to make alot of sense. Instead of a bar room brawl you could have a bar room massacre if everybody had a gun and then got into a drunken argument. They're also not allowed in schools although security is getting tighter after so many school shootings.
I don't have a very high regard for the NRA. They've taken a very extreme stand in which they support the right an individual to have weapons that belong in a battlefield and have no legitimate purpose in civilian life.
This church sounds like a bunch of far right extremists and they've even got these militia groups supporting them so that strikes me as something very unChristian and inappropriate in a church.

Old 06-28-2009, 09:42 AM

10,607 posts, read 11,656,986 times
I have a federal license to carry a concealed weapon anywhere in the United States.

Old 06-28-2009, 11:57 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,231,007 times
Originally Posted by ptsum
Quote:
I have a federal license to carry a concealed weapon anywhere in the United States.
Be that as it may, does federal law give you the right to bring a gun to a place of peace (or a place of worship)?

BTW does federal law also give you the right to bring a gun to another man's private property?
Even when he has made it clear that guns are not welcome on his land or in his house?

Old 06-28-2009, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
Originally Posted by ptsum Be that as it may, does federal law give you the right to bring a gun to a place of peace (or a place of worship)?

BTW does federal law also give you the right to bring a gun to another man's private property?
Even when he has made it clear that guns are not welcome on his land or in his house?
Federal law supersedes any state law in this country and I realize that you don't live in this country and yes it permits me to carry a concealed firearm anywhere,however I do use discretion and in some cases I will not carry it but will have it locked in my vehicle where I can have access to it if need be. I also understand that just because I do have a permit to do so,there is also the responsibility that goes along with it.By the way my permit is issued by the US Federal Marshals.

Old 06-28-2009, 12:45 PM

4,655 posts, read 5,068,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
Federal law supersedes any state law in this country and I realize that you don't live in this country and yes it permits me to carry a concealed firearm anywhere,however I do use discretion and in some cases I will not carry it but will have it locked in my vehicle where I can have access to it if need be. I also understand that just because I do have a permit to do so,there is also the responsibility that goes along with it.By the way my permit is issued by the US Federal Marshals.

You have that right. You should show discretion--and that's up to you. I absolutely agree with you here and anyone that tells you that you don't have a right to do is simply wrong.

Having said that, if a church specifically asks you not to carry it in you should respect that.

Old 06-28-2009, 12:49 PM

8,568 posts, read 16,231,007 times
Originally Posted by ptsum
Quote:
I also understand that just because I do have a permit to do so,there is also the responsibility that goes along with it.
That is a good thing.
I would find it inconsiderate to insist on carrying guns into a place of worship where peace and non-violent resistance is an integral part of its philosophy.

Old 06-28-2009, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
You have that right. You should show discretion--and that's up to you. I absolutely agree with you here and anyone that tells you that you don't have a right to do is simply wrong.

Having said that, if a church specifically asks you not to carry it in you should respect that.
And that's what the responsibility of that permit is, having the discretion and responsibility of knowing when to carry it and when not to and even though I'm not a Christian I would not carry my weapon into a house of worship regardless of what religion it is, out of respect, unless asked otherwise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality