Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Demon Rules Hell?
Beelzebub : Prince of Demons, aka Lord of the Flies, former highest ranking angel in heaven 4 40.00%
Lucifer : Light bearer, son of the morning; former seraphim cast out of heaven 6 60.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 12:06 PM

1,635 posts, read 1,953,040 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullback32 View Post
Let's talk about this Lucifer guy for a second. First of all, the name appears in only ONE place in English bibles: Isaiah 14:3-20, specifically verse 12. This is a problem. Lucifer, is a Latin word and could not in any way have appeared in any original version of Isaiah as they were all written in Hebrew.

Additionally, verses 12 - 15, which Christians use to "prove" their Satan, has nothing to do with devils, demons, or hell at all. The KJV version says:

12How art thou fallen from heaven, O Lucifer, son of the morning! how art thou cut down to the ground, which didst weaken the nations!

13For thou hast said in thine heart, I will ascend into heaven, I will exalt my throne above the stars of God: I will sit also upon the mount of the congregation, in the sides of the north:
14I will ascend above the heights of the clouds; I will be like the most High. 15Yet thou shalt be brought down to hell, to the sides of the pit.

Let's forget about the mistranslations that led to the words Lucifer and hell being in these passages for a second - that is another post altogether. When these verses are taken out of context , you can see where they get this. But when put in context, the writer was specifically talking about Nebuchadnezzer, the King of Babylon. How do we know this? By putting those verses in their proper context.

The discourse in which verses 12-15 appear actually starts in verse 3:

3When the LORD has given you rest from your pain and turmoil and the hard service with which you were made to serve, 4you will take up this taunt against the king of Babylon:

This discourse against Nebuchadnezzer continues through verse 20. It has nothing to do with this so-called devil.

Additionally, the whole story of the "Fall of Satan" appears NOWHERE in the bible except for the book of Revelation. The whole fall of Satan story originated in an apocryphal book known as the Second Book of Enoch (aka 2 Enoch). It is pseudepigraphic. Most scholars consider 2 Enoch to be composed by an unknown Jewish sectarian group, while some authors think it is a 1st century Christian text. A very few scholars consider it a later Christian work. It is dated anywhere from the 1st century CE to the 10th century CE (most scholars believe the earlier date to be correct). It is interesting to me that "believers" hang onto this story that does not appear in the bible (except for Revelation), comes from an apocryphal source (apochrypahl sources are generally rejected by Christians) and was even rejected from the canon. Odd isn't it? They then used to Isaiah 14:12-15 to mesh up with the 2 Enoch source to "prove" the supposed fall, when it had nothing to do with Satan or devils at all. Since then, the name of Lucifer and the story of the Fall has stuck.

Lastly, I would remind folks that the Latin word "Lucifer" also refers to Jesus Christ (2Peter 1:19, Revelation 2:28 and Revelation 22:16 )
Lucifer is the latin name for devil.

Lucifer is a name frequently given to the Devil in Christian belief. This usage as a reference to a fallen angel stems from a particular interpretation of Isaiah 14:3-20, a passage that speaks of someone who is given the name of "Day Star" or "Morning Star" (in Latin, Lucifer) as fallen from heaven.[2] 2 Peter 1:19 and elsewhere, the same Latin word lucifer is used of the morning star with no relation to the devil. However, in writings later than those in the Bible, the Latin word Lucifer has often been used instead as a proper name for the devil.

Lucifer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2009, 12:15 PM

Catholic Church sure believes in demons and the hierarchy of hell. Lucifer and Beelzebub have always been after control of it. The Church believes a battle ensues between the two for control over hell. Both Lucifer and Beelzebub were two of the most beautiful and powerful angels ever created by our Christian God. Was just trying to find out which was considered in control of hell by ancient legends and such forth. I remember hearing that the Catholic Church recently within last 30 years said that Beelzebub had taken control of hell from Lucifer(satan) because of the state of chaos the modern world is in. Beelzebub is supposedly more of a Chaotic demon than Lucifer. Lucifer from what I have read is a more structured leader of hell. These are angles that have turned against God, and battle each other for ultimate power and control, not unlike man does.

Old 07-10-2009, 12:16 PM

3,331 posts, read 5,966,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narcissus23 View Post
Lucifer is the latin name for devil.

Lucifer is a name frequently given to the Devil in Christian belief. This usage as a reference to a fallen angel stems from a particular interpretation of Isaiah 14:3-20, a passage that speaks of someone who is given the name of "Day Star" or "Morning Star" (in Latin, Lucifer) as fallen from heaven.[2] 2 Peter 1:19 and elsewhere, the same Latin word lucifer is used of the morning star with no relation to the devil. However, in writings later than those in the Bible, the Latin word Lucifer has often been used instead as a proper name for the devil.

Lucifer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Correct. Lucifer simply means "light-bearer" - nothing else. How it is used is another matter. It's sort of like calling all tissues a Kleenex. The misuse of the word "lucifer" as a proper name for the "devil" does not make it correct.

In Roman astronomy, Lucifer was the name given to the morning star (the star we now know by another Roman name, Venus). The morning star appears in the heavens just before dawn, heralding the rising sun. The name derives from the Latin term lucem ferre, bringer, or bearer, of light." In the Hebrew text the expression used to describe the Babylonian king before his death is Helal, son of Shahar, which can best be translated as "Day star, son of the Dawn."

Ref: http://www.lds-mormon.com/lucifer.shtml

Isaiah 14:12-15 has absolutely nothing to do with any devil.

Old 07-10-2009, 12:18 PM

2,957 posts, read 7,393,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Ice View Post
I know it is not the point you're making but just so you know "Lord of the Flies" is a novel written by William Golding in 1954 about a bunch of school boys stranded on an uninhabited island. It has never been a reference to Satan or former angels. Sorry to be pedantic but I had to say it.
It's a great novel -- but the title has been used as a reference to some devil-thing too, I think. I'm not sure where/when but I have definitely heard of that before.

Edit: here ya go...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beelzebub

Edit again: oops - old info - I guess I should read thru a whole thread before I start correcting people.

Last edited by b. frank; 07-10-2009 at 12:43 PM..

Old 07-10-2009, 12:22 PM

Demonology – A Who’s Who of the Demon World | Paranormal People

Beelzebub – One of the Kings of Hell

Beelzebub may actually be the incarnate identity of Satan himself, though there is doubt in demonology circles. He may be an alternate incarnation of Baal or Bael, or he may be the original fallen angel (with the distinction that Satan was not the original). In any event, Beelzebub is largely regarded as the most powerful and dangerous demon there is. Of the available demons, Baal Zebub (as he is also known), is attributed to not one but two deadly sins, pride and gluttony, though there is some argument about this point.

One point that is seldom argued is Beezebub’s role as one of the three most prominent fallen angels, in the company of Lucifer and Leviathan. He is a force among the ruling echelon of Hell and aside his kin, is a plague on humanity and the heavens.

Old 07-10-2009, 05:50 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,649,525 times
Narcissus23 wrote:
Quote:
Of the available demons, Baal Zebub (as he is also known), is attributed to not one but two deadly sins, pride and gluttony, though there is some argument about this point.
Maybe it's just me but pride and gluttony seem pretty tame compared to genocide, torture and rape so maybe that particular demon isn't actually ruling hell. Just a thought.

Old 07-10-2009, 08:31 PM

2,901 posts, read 12,742,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fomalhaut View Post
Beelzebub : Prince of Demons, aka Lord of the Flies, former highest ranking angel in heaven

Lucifer : Light bearer, son of the morning; former seraphim cast out of heaven
The dominant culture is ruling it.
They're doing a good job too.
Look around.

Old 07-10-2009, 10:48 PM

6,351 posts, read 9,994,840 times
Well, in the Lesser Key of Solomon, aka the Goetia, Baal is the king of Hell: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baal_(demon)

Anyway, I think we all know who the REAL prince of Darknes is...

Old 07-10-2009, 11:18 PM

2,544 posts, read 4,291,948 times
Hell is a small town in Michigan, and YOU can be its ruler!

Old 07-11-2009, 12:56 AM

4,498 posts, read 6,326,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fomalhaut View Post
Ba‘al Zebûb might mean 'Lord of Zebûb', referring to an unknown place called Zebûb, or 'Lord of the Flies' (ba'al being Hebrew for owner or lord and zebûb being a Hebrew collective noun for 'fly'). Biblical scholar Thomas Kelly Cheyne suggested that it might be a derogatory corruption of Ba'al Zebul, 'Lord of the High Place', or 'Lord of Heaven'.[2] The SeptuagintA renders the name as Baalzeboub, SeptuagintB as Baal myîan 'Baal of flies', but Symmachus the Ebionite may have reflected a tradition of its offensive ancient name when he rendered it as Beelzeboul (Cath.Ency.).

Beelzebub - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Well you learn something every day, sorry for correcting you incorrectly .

I guess it just shows the difference in the things I have been interested in learning about. To me there is no such thing as hell, other than the one we create for ourselves and Satan is really just a mythological character. Whereas "Lord of the Flies" was a really good novel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality