Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 01:03 PM

125 posts, read 284,933 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
This woman sounds potentially confused, but different people mean different things by "secularism."

Secularism can mean that politicians are forbidden from having their policies be influenced by religion and religious expression is forbidden in the public sphere. It is possible to oppose that without wanting religious law.

So someone who deems themselves opposed to both could say that

A) Laws should not be based in religion, but
B) Religion can be a influence in supporting or opposing a policy, just as philosophy or income-class can influence those things.
Well said, I think you understand her well, although i do not agree,

The problem of secularism is that it gives politicians the freedom to make unmoral laws, thus making the society decent in morals and distance themselves for the nature God made them, so it gives persons the freedom to openly make moral crimes rather than making them in secret, and thus infecting the whole society.

On the other hand, the problem of radical religious persons is that they oppose any other opinion than theirs even if this opinion is also based on respected views from their fellow religious person who embrace the same religion.

The solution in my opinion is the moderates' religious persons in each religion, and particularly Islam as I'm a Muslim.

Persons who can take the moral ethics of their religion, and then they are open minded to other respected opinions that do not contradict with the basics.

And also they are in the good side of their religion respecting the free will of embracing any religion.

In my opinion Islam does not agree with secularism, but equally it does not agree with radical close minded way of understanding religion.

Peace
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2010, 12:07 AM

11,798 posts, read 25,185,132 times
Well, I guess that means you hate me then. I'm all broken up about it, too. I actually like some Christians.

Old 05-04-2010, 06:01 AM

5,944 posts, read 5,583,390 times
Default Why do some people hate secularism?

Because they're told to.

A guy in a black smock tells them to on Sundays.

That viewpoint is reinforced throughout the rest of the week by listening to their favorite bloviators on clear channel radio and Fox "news."

And some people are just plain incapable of doing much of anything unless they're told to.

Old 05-04-2010, 09:24 AM

1 posts, read 659 times
this ssite sucks!

Old 05-05-2010, 08:55 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,813,426 times
everybody knows they are right and everyone else is wrong. Secularists are no different.

Old 05-05-2010, 11:14 AM

9,616 posts, read 12,916,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by celticrising View Post
this ssite sucks!
Oh c'mon now. Your first post and this is the best you can do? Even carries a typo!

Not a good start!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality