Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2009, 06:45 AM

433 posts, read 966,615 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robhu View Post
There will come a day when you stand in judgement and find out what all the "BS" is all about. Then you will know for certain that in fact there is a God. You don't believe in God or religion or Heaven and Hell now. You will then because you will experience the result of thinking it is all BS.
There will come a day when you will die, and nothingness will set in and you will not face your jebus as you foolishly think you will right now!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2009, 08:46 AM

13,774 posts, read 26,641,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evidence-is-key View Post
There will come a day when you will die, and nothingness will set in and you will not face your jebus as you foolishly think you will right now!
I know you're joking around, but problem with that thinking is the person will still never know because they'll be incapable of knowing or learning any new information.

Of course in theory many options could exist where you'd both be wrong. Not that I believe in the following possibilities, but ones I've heard include.

*There is no God, but there are souls. When you die you wander the Earth or the Universe as a ghost or spirit.

*You enter a temporary waiting-area until your soul is assigned a new incarnation. Your current incarnation is no more you than your reincarnation. They're just roles your soul play on the journey to an unknown destination.

*You do not exist at all and neither do I. We are all simply part of God and our individual identities will submerge into God at some future point.

*After death you enter higher realms of thought and understanding.

*Your soul will be transferred into a clone or computer program millions or billions of years from now due to the efforts of hyper-advanced future entities.

*If you died an honorable death you are sent to Sto-Vo-Kor where there is much fighting and feasting

Old 07-25-2009, 09:15 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,713,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend1111 View Post

I like being crazy. It's the only way to get through this world unharmed!!
If you're crazy...you won't be forgotten after you die.

Old 07-25-2009, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
I know you're joking around, but problem with that thinking is the person will still never know because they'll be incapable of knowing or learning any new information.

Of course in theory many options could exist where you'd both be wrong. Not that I believe in the following possibilities, but ones I've heard include.

*There is no God, but there are souls. When you die you wander the Earth or the Universe as a ghost or spirit.

*You enter a temporary waiting-area until your soul is assigned a new incarnation. Your current incarnation is no more you than your reincarnation. They're just roles your soul play on the journey to an unknown destination.

*You do not exist at all and neither do I. We are all simply part of God and our individual identities will submerge into God at some future point.

*After death you enter higher realms of thought and understanding.

*Your soul will be transferred into a clone or computer program millions or billions of years from now due to the efforts of hyper-advanced future entities.

*If you died an honorable death you are sent to Sto-Vo-Kor where there is much fighting and feasting

First of all, no, i'm not kidding around! why would you think so?
Secondly, and more importantly.....how can anyone believe any of those options as 'good' possibilities when there is absolutely NO proof/Evidence for any of the options you've listed.
another option, which is alot simpler than any of the ones you've listed is....you ready for it?.......nothing will happen after you die. you simply cease to exist.....similar to the state you were in before you were concieved by your parents.....it's a much simpler theory (although a bit disappointing)...and simple options are sometimes the correct options!

Old 07-25-2009, 11:16 AM

16,427 posts, read 22,265,187 times
"What if anything, is capable of putting all religions to rest???"

Christ's return!

Old 07-25-2009, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
"keep oooooon wait'n!"

Old 07-25-2009, 01:25 PM

4,275 posts, read 5,429,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
I do not feel you listed anything of importance that's objectively real. The reasons for the motto do come from Christians, but the actual imposition of it has not been specifically Christian nor is anything in government. You would know this if you could calm down enough to look at the facts as they stand. Muslims, Sikhs, Buddhists and an atheist have been in Congress since the motto change not before. No one is required to say the Pledge or any oath to the Christian God.

You have a set view on this so real discussion on it is probably not helpful to either of us. You believe you are right and all you want is agreement. I can't give you that because from my understanding you say things that are wrong in very obvious ways. So obviously wrong it's almost exactly like arguing with Campbell about Ica stones. Hence this will probably have to be the end.
Exactly the answers I've recieved, and expect, from Christians who refuse to open their eyes and question the motivations behind Christian Prayers in our Motto and Pledge, because their religion is the one being supported.

Firstly, the Nation is going through it's own Enlightenist Period as we strive against the religion implanted within a large portion of our culture, which has eroded basic Cosntitutional Principles and incluided itself into US Secular Laws. Members of other relgiions, and none, in Congress is not an example I would use to support a Christian Prayer as a Motto.

Secondly, besides the historical facts you refuse to attempt to disprove, you have failed utterly to even try to rationalize or address how Christians could be speaking of any Deity but their own, especially in light of who lobbied for those changes to our Pledge, and Motto.

Old 07-25-2009, 01:28 PM

487 posts, read 908,324 times
Quote:
unfortunately, you do too.
and yes, i do consider you a pumpkin head. :-D
Boy, wouldn't it be nice to have MORE people like YOU in the world?

Old 07-26-2009, 06:27 AM

13,774 posts, read 26,641,945 times
Quote:
First of all, no, i'm not kidding around! why would you think so?
Secondly, and more importantly.....how can anyone believe any of those options as 'good' possibilities when there is absolutely NO proof/Evidence for any of the options you've listed.
another option, which is alot simpler than any of the ones you've listed is....you ready for it?.......nothing will happen after you die. you simply cease to exist.....similar to the state you were in before you were concieved by your parents.....it's a much simpler theory (although a bit disappointing)...and simple options are sometimes the correct options!
And other times they're not. Ockham's Razor is useful for many things, but it's a tool or guide not a statement of what has to be real.

The idea that nothing happens after you die is not something you can really prove or test. If you die and cease to be you will not really have confirmed the hypothesis. Not even for you as you won't know it. It can be inferred using the assumption of methodological naturalism science uses, but an assumption proving itself is somewhat circular.

Old 07-26-2009, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalTwinkie View Post
Boy, wouldn't it be nice to have MORE people like YOU in the world?
i suppose it would....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality