Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 03:09 PM

2,741 posts, read 8,882,138 times

Advertisements

[quote=JetJockey;9871807]I think it's perfectly ok for people to believe. As long as they don't try to put laws in effect that will force people to abide by 'gods' rules, I'm fine. Maybe if churches were used for something good, instead of sitting and wishing for stuff, if more churches were involved in the community instead of being self serving and maybe if religious folks went back to actually doing good, instead of trying to be on tv and amass millions of dollars.

QUOTE]

The number of "Christians" on TV who are self-serving and reap millions of dollars for themselves are an exceedingly small percentage...way less than 1%...please don't blame the rest of us for the actions of a few.
I know of several churches who are involved in the community and doing good. They just aren't on TV patting themselves on the back and yelling "hey look...see what we are doing..."

Bud
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2009, 03:15 PM

970 posts, read 1,699,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
Nah...in a few years people like you would forget that it happened and wonder why he hadn't appeared lately...
Not if He leaves a mark (or if we safely record it), a permanent miracle, or makes regular apparitions... but that's a topic for another thread.

So yeah, actual proof of the existence of [a] god[s] would put all religions to rest. Other than than, I can't imagine them disappear in the foreseeable future. I do think education is the key, but I doubt we'll get to the point where everyone in the world has access to quality education any time soon.

Old 07-21-2009, 03:18 PM

1,266 posts, read 1,798,591 times
Quote:
God.
You mean the real one? Not your silly desert tribal totem..

Old 07-21-2009, 03:22 PM

4,904 posts, read 6,013,333 times
Religion will most likely never completely go away, although educating people on applying logic to all beliefs, rather than all beliefs except their own, would get rid of the ridiculous idea that religious belief is sensical and rational.

Old 07-21-2009, 03:25 PM

4,904 posts, read 6,013,333 times
Quote:
God.
I am the one true god. I have been working diligently on putting religion to rest, but somehow my beloved people are unable to listen to me.

Old 07-21-2009, 03:30 PM

433 posts, read 963,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agnostic soldier View Post
I am the one true god. I have been working diligently on putting religion to rest, but somehow my beloved people are unable to listen to me.
ok buddy....time to take your pills

Old 07-21-2009, 04:46 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,617,448 times
Quote:

The number of "Christians" on TV who are self-serving and reap millions of dollars for themselves are an exceedingly small percentage...way less than 1%...please don't blame the rest of us for the actions of a few.
I know of several churches who are involved in the community and doing good. They just aren't on TV patting themselves on the back and yelling "hey look...see what we are doing..."

Bud
I understand this, but I also said 'in my experience'.... in the area I live in there is a church on every corner (on some, there are more than one) and they do diddly squat for the community, unless it directly benefits them.

I was deeply involved with volunteering in my community with my 4h group and rarely did I see a church sponsored event (unless of course, it was a bake sale or rummage sale to help expand their building...). I understand that not all churches are like that, but from my experience, the majority of them are self serving only.

Old 07-21-2009, 05:03 PM

5,993 posts, read 3,731,537 times
Religion will end when man's desire for control over other human beings ends. Which most likely, I'm sad to say, will be never.

Old 07-22-2009, 03:56 AM

1,301 posts, read 2,109,658 times
When more and more parents choose to not brainwash their kids at an early age, then you'll see it slowly put to rest. This will happen, but it's gonna take some time. Get out there and multiply, you atheist

It'll never go away fully, though.

We'll probably see more people claiming to be spiritual or something of the sorts in the future, as opposed to belonging to an organized religion or one particular faith.

I already sort of see that happening right now.

Old 07-22-2009, 04:15 AM

4,323 posts, read 6,022,131 times
Love and the brotherhood of man, along with stepping out of the box and opening up to all the possibilities of God. When we start acepting others for who they are and not based on what religion, monetary value, title or anything material is placed upon them. When we start taking care of each other, religions and beliefs will be placed behind what is most important. Didn't Jesus state to Love one another? Didn't He also state that God is the Father of all? When we place ourselves above another, we can never practice either of those.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality