Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 09:11 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,708,917 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
Maybe. I just thought it was interesting that two books of the Bible quote it, and say they quote it, but that we don't have it. However those two quotes could be the only thing of value in it. Anyway this is one position on the matter, that everything in the Bible is what's meant to be there, and I'm sympathetic in some respects.

Still it's kind of interesting to look at things like the Proto-Evangelion of James or the Book of Enoch whether or not they're canonical. We can't even do that with things like Jasher. I wonder what that says of us or of knowledge or of things we can never know.

Maybe I'm being wistful because it's morning.
Remember that the bible is a compilation, it's not a book that was written in entirety to BE as it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2009, 07:20 PM

2,981 posts, read 5,472,096 times
Quote:
"And the sun and the moon stood still, till the people revenged themselves of their enemies. Is not this written in the book of Jasher?" --Joshua, 10. 13.

"Behold it is written in the Book of Jasher."--II Samuel, i. 18

Other, possibly more accurate, translations call it "Book of the Just" and "Book of the Upright." When I read the Bible this is one that kind of fascinated me. The footnote in my copy of the my text listed it as "lost" and, outside of a spurious Medieval book, it seems to be lost. Both to Judaism and Christianity. I used to think if I had a time machine or time-viewer finding a copy of the Book of Jasher would be an interesting feat. I don't know if a science fiction story like that would sell though.

What do you think the Book of Jasher concerned? Did it exist at all? What, if anything, does its absence say in Judaism or in Sola Scriptura Christianity? Has this been done before?
It isn't lost. There are fake Jasher's, but this one is real.
Book of Jasher

Moses used the writings of the ancient patriarchs to compose it, up to his death, after which Joshua completed it.
It is a companion book to Genesis-Joshua, and because Moses redacted the histories in the five books, Jasher gives understanding to many things in Genesis -Numbers and into Joshua, making obscure things clear.
Within it is included the book called the Wars of the LORD, concerning Jacob and his sons and YHWH's aiding them supernaturally, to give them victory over their enemies.

Old 07-27-2009, 08:20 AM

40,048 posts, read 34,696,729 times
In two words: oy vey!

Old 07-27-2009, 08:30 AM

2,595 posts, read 4,449,270 times
Quote:
"And the sun and the moon stood still, till the people revenged themselves of their enemies. Is not this written in the book of Jasher?" --Joshua, 10. 13.

"Behold it is written in the Book of Jasher."--II Samuel, i. 18

Other, possibly more accurate, translations call it "Book of the Just" and "Book of the Upright." When I read the Bible this is one that kind of fascinated me. The footnote in my copy of the my text listed it as "lost" and, outside of a spurious Medieval book, it seems to be lost. Both to Judaism and Christianity. I used to think if I had a time machine or time-viewer finding a copy of the Book of Jasher would be an interesting feat. I don't know if a science fiction story like that would sell though.

What do you think the Book of Jasher concerned? Did it exist at all? What, if anything, does its absence say in Judaism or in Sola Scriptura Christianity? Has this been done before?
There is also a reference to the book of Chronicles of the Kings but it is not the Chronicles in the OT. There is anothere set of Chronicles out there.

Old 07-27-2009, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikk View Post
There is also a reference to the book of Chronicles of the Kings but it is not the Chronicles in the OT. There is anothere set of Chronicles out there.
There are lots of references to books which are lost, but Jasher [the real Jasher, there are false Jashers], is not lost to us anymore and hasn't been for almost two hundred years. Jasher includes the book of the wars of the LORD, though, so that is solved.

Old 07-27-2009, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
In two words: oy vey!
You should read it, it has lots of glory for those of Israeli blood, showing God's supernatural deliverance of them in times of trouble. The first six day war with the Canaanite kings is fascinating, and David read it and referred to things written in it, in his inspired Psalm 18. He covers Noah's prayer in the Ark and God's answer, and David never ran through a troop [of mighty men] and David never leaped over walls, but the sons of Jacob did, in that six day war. It is described in its beginnings in chapter 33 and goes to chapter 41.
Book of Jasher

Old 07-27-2009, 09:37 AM

4,655 posts, read 5,088,576 times
Quote:
Maybe. I just thought it was interesting that two books of the Bible quote it, and say they quote it, but that we don't have it. However those two quotes could be the only thing of value in it. Anyway this is one position on the matter, that everything in the Bible is what's meant to be there, and I'm sympathetic in some respects.

Still it's kind of interesting to look at things like the Proto-Evangelion of James or the Book of Enoch whether or not they're canonical. We can't even do that with things like Jasher. I wonder what that says of us or of knowledge or of things we can never know.

Maybe I'm being wistful because it's morning.

There's quite a few references in the OT and NT to books that we don't have. It does not mean that we need to go looking for them though. I believe what we have is enough.

Do we know for sure that what you're reading as the Proto-Evangelion of James or the Book of Enoch are authentic?

Old 07-27-2009, 09:46 AM

3,331 posts, read 5,970,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
There's quite a few references in the OT and NT to books that we don't have. It does not mean that we need to go looking for them though. I believe what we have is enough.

Do we know for sure that what you're reading as the Proto-Evangelion of James or the Book of Enoch are authentic?
DO you believe the Book of Enoch is authentic?

Old 07-27-2009, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post

Enough for what?
One does not come to Jesus through dead letters on white [or colored] pages, but by the call of the Holy Spirit when one hears the Gospel. It is conviction that one responds to that brings one to the saving knowledge of Jesus Christ.
Then, after one is born again in Christ, are they to just la-la through life, satisfied to never study to show themselves approved unto God, workmen that need not to be ashamed? I have been born again in Christ for 40 years this year, and did not have answers to questions which arose when I read the Bible. The Bible leaves a lot unanswered in remarks made, or in timelines of history in the events of the patriarchs; but behold, it is written in the Book of Jasher! -and in 1 Enoch, and anyone can now prove all things and not have those questions unanswered that arise on reading through the Bible with a hungry heart for information.

And James is inspired, if that is what you are asking, because James is mostly a book expounding on what is written in 1 Enoch concerning those points James, a womb brother of Jesus, brings up.
And 1 Enoch was extant before Christ Jesus came in flesh, and was used as Scripture and called Scripture, by Jesus; and his womb brothers, Jude and James concured, quoting from it.

Old 07-27-2009, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullback32 View Post
DO you believe the Book of Enoch is authentic?
The proof is in the reading of it comparing it to the OT and NT. It correlates to both, not contradicting anything in them, and shedding light on the foundational doctrines of the OT and NT, which doctrines are not laid out in the OT but are there, referred to, but are already laid out in 1 Enoch -so why should they be re-laid out?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality