Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 10:27 AM

52 posts, read 76,470 times

Advertisements

I want to know this. every picture or randition of any kind of jesus shows him with long hair and a beard. Why then do christians think that I must be a bad person because I have long hair. they use comments like, your just a long hair hippy. and they look down on me. why is this.. why can Jesus have long hair and be good, while I have long hair abd am looked at as a bad boy... Please explain...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2009, 10:34 AM

7,915 posts, read 18,635,284 times
I remember in the sixties in Montana when a few people like myself started growing their hair long. Even the police would harass me when I was just walking down the street and yet many churches had the standard paintings of Jesus with long hair and so did many Christians in their homes. It never made any sense to me either. People don't make much of a fuss about it today but in the sixties and seventies I encountered alot of hostility and I didn't even do anything.

Old 07-23-2009, 10:51 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,747,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technodawg View Post
I want to know this. every picture or randition of any kind of jesus shows him with long hair and a beard. Why then do christians think that I must be a bad person because I have long hair. they use comments like, your just a long hair hippy. and they look down on me. why is this.. why can Jesus have long hair and be good, while I have long hair abd am looked at as a bad boy... Please explain...
Bro, give it up.

I'm a hardcore catholic. I had long hair till my early 20s. It drove my father and his friends and other christians nuts. Bottom line is that I am very christian myself.

Now I'm growing long hair again (not to pony tail lengths, I just want it fall on my face, ears and neck). I simply think it's gonna sit in pretty well with my chiselled chest and triceps. My born-again and Adventist friends have already certified that I am committing the sin of vanity, which cannot be denied

If you want long hair, grow it, don't let the christians bring you down. There are several who condemn my antics too - like heavy metal, psychedelic rock, hindu practices etc.

Old 07-23-2009, 10:55 AM

They don't bring me down. I just don't get the double standard. It's okay for jesus to have long hair but not me.. It is an oxymoron I suppose. I do have to say, to get a job in these parts can be pretty hard when you have long hair. I'm in the bible belt now. I didn't have that problem when I was up north with all the heatherns.. LOL

Old 07-23-2009, 11:05 AM

520 posts, read 896,507 times
I get < 1 hair cut a year, and have had a beard for the past 5 years straight (well, there might have been a mustache or two in there). When ever any one takes a jab at a me about my hair I always respond, "Jesus had long hair, the founding fathers of this country had long hair, I have long hair. Coinsedence? I think not".

Old 07-23-2009, 11:20 AM

3,849 posts, read 3,755,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forkpower View Post
I get < 1 hair cut a year, and have had a beard for the past 5 years straight (well, there might have been a mustache or two in there). When ever any one takes a jab at a me about my hair I always respond, "Jesus had long hair, the founding fathers of this country had long hair, I have long hair. Coinsedence? I think not".

As a female, I got ragged on for wearing my hair 'too short'. Still do. One of my sons (this was in the late 1980s) used to carry a nickle and a quarter in his pocket and when anyone ragged on his ponytail he would pull them both out and ask "something 'wrong' with these guys?" or "Would you have said that to either of these guys?" Usually shut them right down.

Old 07-23-2009, 11:55 AM

Okay.. so no-one has yet explained why they do this. I now how to respond to these people, but I just want to know why it is okay to them for jesus to have long hair, and not me... That is what I am getting at.. where is the logic and reasoning for this? not how do I cope with it.. I'm just trying to understand the nonsense... not try to make people see my side. I just want that question answered. Please.. no more on how to cope... tell me why they do this.. That is what I want to know...

Old 07-23-2009, 12:02 PM

4,655 posts, read 5,075,110 times
Quote:

I used to have long hair, half-way down my back. Eventually, it got to the point where I was keeping my long hair because I wanted to make a statement of being rebellious versus just liking long hair. I also had 4 earrings in my left ear, 3 in my right--so it kind of completed the image.

Examine your motives. If they're pure, I wouldn't be bothered if I were you.

On the other hand, the Bible is clear that men should be men and women should be women. The apostle Paul criticized women with shaved heads, and men that looked like women.

"1 Corinthians 11:14-15
(14) Does not nature itself teach you that if a man wears long hair it is a disgrace for him,
(15) but if a woman has long hair, it is her glory? For her hair is given to her for a covering."

I think that was a cultural thing, but if there is a possibility of anyone thinking you're effeminate or something along that line because of the hair, I'd consider cutting it.

Old 07-23-2009, 01:14 PM

4,145 posts, read 10,435,000 times
Quote:
Because you're just looking to be a victim. I have a hard time believing you're discriminated against because of your hair and are really just looking for attention.

Old 07-23-2009, 02:14 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,668,068 times
Tell them you're a Native American and they'll leave you alone....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality