Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What's your religion?
Agnostic 9 10.34%
Atheist 28 32.18%
Buddhist 1 1.15%
Catholic - Non-Practicing 4 4.60%
Catholic - Practicing 8 9.20%
Jewish - Observant 2 2.30%
Jewish - "Cultural" 0 0%
Hindu 0 0%
Muslim 0 0%
Pagan 2 2.30%
Protestant - Practicing 9 10.34%
Protestant - Non-Practicing 1 1.15%
"Spiritual" 11 12.64%
Other 12 13.79%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2009, 10:17 PM

13,782 posts, read 26,294,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
As much real interest as I have in religion, oh, yeah!
Well, the Episcopalians are fun to read about if you research Henry VIII...he was one nasty scoundrel! The other stuff, boring!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2009, 10:21 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,329,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
Well, the Episcopalians are fun to read about if you research Henry VIII...he was one nasty scoundrel! The other stuff, boring!
I've probably mentioned it before - to me only the Black Baptist churches look like fun. Of course, my opinion is based on movies only...

Old 08-02-2009, 10:28 PM

13,782 posts, read 26,294,724 times
Quote:
I've probably mentioned it before - to me only the Black Baptist churches look like fun. Of course, my opinion is based on movies only...
I think they do too! The music, ladies hats and luncheons after the sermon! I would love to go!!

Old 08-02-2009, 10:33 PM

12,973 posts, read 34,035,663 times
Quote:
I went to one some years ago in Inglewood with a friend. It was fun for the first 30 minutes because the first 30 minutes was just the band jamming. It was LOUD and they were JAMMING, not just playing music, they were rocking out. Then when the preacher dude got up there with the weird "baptist preacher speak" saying "jesus-uh" and "pah-raise-uh the lawd-uh" he lost me.

Last edited by LaoTzuMindFu; 08-02-2009 at 10:44 PM..

Old 08-02-2009, 10:41 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,048,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
Oh, wait...his daughter Elizabeth I was AWESOME!!!!! She insisted that she, a woman, would and could rule every bit as well as a man and she DID!!!!! And the way she'd pretend to be interested in arranging a marriage just to get everyone to step off was masterful!!!!

Hey -- we can talk about Henry's and Elizabeth's RELATIONSHIPS and get the thread moved back, now couldn't we?!

Old 08-02-2009, 11:24 PM

19,008 posts, read 29,801,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
Oh, wait...his daughter Elizabeth I was AWESOME!!!!! She insisted that she, a woman, would and could rule every bit as well as a man and she DID!!!!! And the way she'd pretend to be interested in arranging a marriage just to get everyone to step off was masterful!!!!

Hey -- we can talk about Henry's and Elizabeth's RELATIONSHIPS and get the thread moved back, now couldn't we?!
Mary, queen of Scots, was better and hotter (a noble inductee to Tony's historical babes hall of fame) and she had her executed.

I'm no fan of Liz I

Old 08-03-2009, 07:53 AM

8,064 posts, read 18,048,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
Mary, queen of Scots, was better and hotter (a noble inductee to Tony's historical babes hall of fame) and she had her executed.

I'm no fan of Liz I
Mary was organizing assassination attempts against Elizabeth so she could have BOTH thrones! She was instigating all sorts of trouble on behalf of the Catholic faction and her own son wanted nothing to do with her. Of course she had to be executed. Elizabeth made Mary's son, James I, her successor.

You should read up on Mary. Interesting and ballsy broad but something of a skank.

Old 08-03-2009, 08:14 AM

4,348 posts, read 7,369,934 times
I think there was a poll like this a year or so ago. Should be fun to see how it has changed.

I just noticed you are missing Deist. I saw a poll listing them in the 700% range for growth in the last ten years. Wonder if they are the "others"?

Old 08-03-2009, 08:42 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,675,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
So what is the deal with Atheists. They don't believe in any kind of higher power?? What about energy? Maybe that there is some life force??

I'm confused, cause I'm not so sure that there is some guy in a white robe and we call him God.

How does everything in the universe seem to "work" isn't there some life force/energy behind that??
One of the smartest statements in all of science is "I don't know." That's where the search for answers has to start. The problem is many people have a hard time admitting that they don't know. But what's so wrong with saying you don't have the answers to something? I don't know who or what created the universe or if the universe always existed. But I have no trouble with admitting that I don't know and it doesn't keep me up at night or cause me to not have direction in my life. I consider myself open-minded though and I welcome proof that there really is a god or some other creator.

Quote:
I don't want to offend anyone here but I just can't get some of these thoughts out of my mind regarding organized religion.

They just seem like fairytales and devices used to control people.

Don't eat pork, eat fish on friday, all of that kind of nonsense.

I don't think god is gonna judge me based on my f ing diet.??
This is one of my biggest gripes with organized religion. If there really is a god, I can't help but wonder why he or she would ever want to control how we live our lives. What I really despise is how so many religions tell their followers that it's wrong to even question it.

Quote:
Of course this thread doesn't even belong in this forum.
Actually, I think it does. Religion and religious differences can and often are a big part of relationships. For many, how they view relationships is shaped by their religious beliefs. That makes this topic very relevant to the relationships forum.

Quote:
That's why people say don't talk about religion and politics.
Yeah I never quite agreed with that. I know there's a time and place and for most people, these subjects tend to stir up emotions. But I also don't like the idea of being told what not to talk about.

Old 08-03-2009, 09:02 AM

4,788 posts, read 5,917,588 times
Spiritual. It can also apply to the string theory, Jesus as friend, God as Friend, my dead Uncle, little rituals that have meaning to me, Krishna, ghosts, Athiest friends, cloud watching, drowning bug rescue society....it's all mine !!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality