Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 09:12 AM

2,331 posts, read 3,381,131 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanman13 View Post
While I do agree that J. Smith was a scam artist, I think the possibility that Jesus visited the Americas after his resurrection does exist. At least, I cannot specifically rule it out.

Most of the objectionable aspects of the Mormon church as an organization were added and encouraged by Brigham Young, though, not Joseph Smith. For example, Smith was against polygamy; Young is the one who added it as a doctrine after he was able to wrest power within the church from Smith. Smith became an exile within his own religion after Young came to power and set himself up as king.

For all the suffering and persecution Mormons endured, though, they became pretty good at it themselves; hence my earlier link to the Mountain Meadows Massacre. Lots of non-Mormons mysteriously died or disappeared after entering the area under Mormon control.
You have some very strange ideas about The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and its members Stanman. I suggest that you browse a few official LDS sources to get a better understanding. Here's a link to a list of them, even Twitter:

Official Church Web Sites | LDS Media Talk
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2009, 10:46 AM

30 posts, read 59,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justamere10 View Post
You have some very strange ideas about The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and its members Stanman. I suggest that you browse a few official LDS sources to get a better understanding. Here's a link to a list of them, even Twitter:

[LEFT]I thought anyone not appear more to defend ourselves. Thank you.
I just wanted a greater understanding of how LDS people are treated in the United States and heard so many hard words.
Read good things from people like you.
Many people left their opinions, other links on the left church with explanations, but you ..
Thanks for the comment.[/LEFT]

Old 08-06-2009, 10:57 AM

222 posts, read 582,106 times
Quote:
Why to read information about church from only church website? We should read different opinions. In fact LDS still didn't admit Mountain Meadow Massacre which is proven fact. And participation and denying in this Holocaust is disgusting.

Old 08-06-2009, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick.leviman View Post
Why to read information about church from only church website? We should read different opinions. In fact LDS still didn't admit Mountain Meadow Massacre which is proven fact. And participation and denying in this Holocaust is disgusting.
The question from my point of view is if someone is interested in learning the truth about the religious beliefs of a particular Christian denomination, why shouldn't they also read that church's official media instead of just information provided by its apostates and enemies?

In fact, LDS leaders have formally apologized for the part some local leaders had in the "Mountain Meadows Massacre" in the 1800's. If I recall correctly that incident occured during the "Utah War" when the US army invaded Utah because of false affidavits sworn by enemies of the Latter-day Saints.

But sure, read the memo - Wiki's not always accurate, but it's a start...

P.S. About 120 people slain during a war in 1857, though tragic, does not make a "Holocaust" as people today understand that word! Are you trying to mislead readers of this board about the Latter-day Saints?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Utah_War

Old 08-06-2009, 11:34 AM

4,655 posts, read 5,082,531 times
Quote:
The question from my point of view is if someone is interested in learning the truth about the religious beliefs of a particular Christian denomination, why shouldn't they also read that church's official media instead of just information provided by its apostates and enemies?

In fact, LDS leaders have formally apologized for the part some local leaders had in the "Mountain Meadows Massacre" in the 1800's. If I recall correctly that incident occured during the "Utah War" when the US army invaded Utah because of false affidavits sworn by enemies of the Latter-day Saints.

But sure, read the memo - Wiki's not always accurate, but it's a start...

P.S. About 120 people slain during a war in 1857, though tragic, does not make a "Holocaust" as people today understand that word! Are you trying to mislead readers of this board about the Latter-day Saints?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Utah_War

There's enough freaky stuff in mormon history, we don't need a massacre to denounce them. Just look at their doctrines.

Old 08-06-2009, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
There's enough freaky stuff in mormon history, we don't need a massacre to denounce them. Just look at their doctrines.
Please do look at our doctrines...

We testify of Jesus Christ:

http://jesuschrist.lds.org/SonOfGod/eng/

Introduction to our basic beliefs:

Mormon.org - Home

Old 08-06-2009, 11:41 AM

222 posts, read 582,106 times
Quote:
I'm trying to show that any religion is bloodthirsty and hypocritical. LDS is not an exception. They not better and not worse then Baptists or Muslims.

Old 08-06-2009, 11:42 AM

4,655 posts, read 5,082,531 times
Quote:
Please do look at our doctrines...

We testify of Jesus Christ:

http://jesuschrist.lds.org/SonOfGod/eng/

Introduction to our basic beliefs:

Mormon.org - Home

Is Jesus God, to you? Or is he the physical descendant of God?

Old 08-06-2009, 11:47 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,864,983 times
Why do people feel so threatened by mormons? Honestly, I see more wacky wierdness and illogical teachings from contemporary christian groups (who I guess are mormonism's mortal enemies).

If you ask me, I would say the ultimate charlatan is Jesus himself for starting the avalanche of competing christian churches that have probably caused more worldwide pain, death, tyranny and fear than any other religion in the history of the planet.

Vocal critics of mormons should go point their fingers at a mirror. You are no better than they are. In fact, you are the same thing.

Old 08-06-2009, 11:48 AM

1,703 posts, read 5,149,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick.leviman View Post
I'm trying to show that any religion is bloodthirsty and hypocritical. LDS is not an exception. They not better and not worse then Baptists or Muslims.
No generalizations here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality