Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 11:51 AM

2,331 posts, read 3,377,745 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick.leviman View Post
I'm trying to show that any religion is bloodthirsty and hypocritical. LDS is not an exception. They not better and not worse then Baptists or Muslims.
I doubt that most Christians today would consider themselves "bloodthirsty."

But it's true, the Old Testament in the Holy Bible is an account of people who were commanded by God to sacrifice animals as a symbol of the then future atonement and sacrifice of Jesus Christ. So I suppose you could choose to consider ancient Jews "bloodthirsty."

Was Hitler's Germany a religion do you think? Could it be that there is a tendency towards evil in ALL human beings regardless of religious affiliation, or none at all?

I choose not to comment on "hypocritical."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2009, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
Is Jesus God, to you? Or is he the physical descendant of God?
Substance for another thread perhaps KD? Though I think we've probably already gone through that a whole lot of times have we not?? E.g. in the "Ask a Mormon" thread:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/religion-philosophy/516732-ask-mormon.html

Old 08-06-2009, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
If you ask me, I would say the ultimate charlatan is Jesus himself for starting the avalanche of competing christian churches that have probably caused more worldwide pain, death, tyranny and fear than any other religion in the history of the planet.
Jesus started ONE church, built on a foundation of revelation and apostles. He taught members of his church to turn the other cheek and love one another.

Other Christian churches evolved from that first church as the apostles who supervised the church at the general level were killed off and the pure doctrines were lost and/or changed.

Latter-day Saints believe that the church originally founded by Jesus Christ was restored in these latter days, again on a foundation of revelation and apostles.

Old 08-06-2009, 12:06 PM

4,655 posts, read 5,074,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justamere10 View Post
Substance for another thread perhaps KD? Though I think we've probably already gone through that a whole lot of times have we not?? E.g. in the "Ask a Mormon" thread:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/religion-philosophy/516732-ask-mormon.html

LOL....probably. I don't mean to hijack this thread. My point though, was that you guys do have fairly unique doctrines.

Old 08-06-2009, 12:09 PM

1,821 posts, read 7,735,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick.leviman View Post
Why to read information about church from only church website? We should read different opinions. In fact LDS still didn't admit Mountain Meadow Massacre which is proven fact. And participation and denying in this Holocaust is disgusting.
You mean information like this from the Church Website.
Church Seeks National Historic Landmark Designation - LDS Newsroom

You aren't even taking 2 minutes to check whether your wild accusations are true. Other readers beware that this poster is not at all credible

Old 08-06-2009, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
LOL....probably. I don't mean to hijack this thread. My point though, was that you guys do have fairly unique doctrines.
So did Jesus Christ.

Old 08-06-2009, 12:37 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,835,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justamere10 View Post
Jesus started ONE church, built on a foundation of revelation and apostles. He taught members of his church to turn the other cheek and love one another.

Other Christian churches evolved from that first church as the apostles who supervised the church at the general level were killed off and the pure doctrines were lost and/or changed.

Latter-day Saints believe that the church originally founded by Jesus Christ was restored in these latter days, again on a foundation of revelation and apostles.
I'm not attacking you or your beliefs, but I am. Many apologies.

If christ did reestablish his church under Joe Smith than why did he let him and subsequent church leaders change it into something very different over the next 150 years? Did mormonism go astray like the origional christian church?

Mormonism went from a closed polygamous isolationist society to an open, worldwide and very mainstream acceptable church, just as exterior pressures pushed it to do. Dozens of doctrines changed or evolved, and mormonism evolved from cult to a full grown religion just as every other religion has before it with plenty of trial and error in the process. To me it sounds like normal human progression, not divine intervention.

Reading the New Testament, I get the impression that Jesus himself didn't really want to start a organized religion, just tell people to live a good life.

Maybe I'm wrong but that's how I interpret the writing on the wall.

Old 08-06-2009, 12:38 PM

1,243 posts, read 2,811,284 times
This is about what are general conceptions of Mormons right? Well, this is what I 'think' I know (not checking)...I believe that Mormons think there are 3 levels to heaven and you can go down to see people in the other levels but people can't go up to see you or something and they don't believe in hell and they don't like alcohol and they have had a wonderful contestant on Jeopardy and it is really really hard to be 'all the way Mormon' I think you have to follow a bunch of stuff to even partake in holy sacraments in the church....this could all be wrong.......but if the starter of this thread wanted to know what other people think about their church that's about it as far as what I think of with Mormons.

Old 08-06-2009, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb64282 View Post
This is about what are general conceptions of Mormons right? Well, this is what I 'think' I know (not checking)...I believe that Mormons think there are 3 levels to heaven and you can go down to see people in the other levels but people can't go up to see you or something and they don't believe in hell and they don't like alcohol and they have had a wonderful contestant on Jeopardy and it is really really hard to be 'all the way Mormon' I think you have to follow a bunch of stuff to even partake in holy sacraments in the church....this could all be wrong.......but if the starter of this thread wanted to know what other people think about their church that's about it as far as what I think of with Mormons.
You have a very basic knowledge of a few LDS beliefs and that is probably sufficient for you, as it is for probably the majority of Americans. For those who want to know more there is a huge amount of valid information now available online from official sources such as those I linked to above.

Old 08-06-2009, 12:47 PM

1,243 posts, read 2,811,284 times
and I think of Chic-fil-a or however you spell it, I think they're a Mormon restaurant, yes they are Christian despite what anyone says. They acknowledge Jesus Christ, although I have heard people refer to them as 'kinda Christian' which as a believer in Catholicism I think that is rude (which also gets a lot of not really Christian B.S.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality