Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 11:05 AM

30 posts, read 59,395 times

Advertisements

I come from a family who are all Christians. Since birth, I'm Mormon and I am very happy with it. Here in Brazil I have respect for all people, but all is well. But what we talk about the LDS people in the United States? What do you know about Mormons?

Please, I want to know more.
>>> Sry about my English is still hard for me ..

Last edited by Patricinha Alcântara; 08-03-2009 at 11:14 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2009, 01:03 PM

769 posts, read 2,238,440 times
Mormons control the entire state of Utah. Fact.

They're pretty cool people but I would definitely not join their organization. They send young boys/men to far off cities away from Salt Lake City, and make their parents pay for their expenses. I talk to Mormons on bikes once and they told me they lived in an apartment by themselves and had little entertainment and things in the form of recreation. They spent all day riding their bikes from house to house, sometimes in the bitter cold, and they get rude people. Boy, would I hate to be a Mormon in Detroit. Those kids are brave.

All in all, by non-LDS people in the U.S. they are looked upon with suspicion. When the Mormons settled in Utah in the 1800s it was because of violent discrimination against them. But nowadays it isn't violence they experience, just suspicion and some scorn. Some other non-Mormons don't have any feeling against them at all in this country.

All in all, they are quiet and nice, and I have no problem with them. But their religion is not for me.

Old 08-03-2009, 01:10 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,910,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricinha Alcântara View Post
I come from a family who are all Christians. Since birth, I'm Mormon and I am very happy with it. Here in Brazil I have respect for all people, but all is well. But what we talk about the LDS people in the United States? What do you know about Mormons?

Wrong place to ask.
This kind of info needs to come from *the horse's mouth*,
like *from a reputable source*.

Most of us here *think* we know what LDS people in the USA are about, but that is all it is, *think* .... NOT *know* what they are all about.

What, and how one person thinks about LDS people can differ quite a bit.

Please keep in mind that there are two things that make up a description.
What is the religion all about, is one of them.
What the people are all about is another.

So you mention *people*.
The best way, since you live in Brazil, is to contact the mission people in your area, and talk to them. In most cases. at least one of them is from the USA. Meet him or her, and you can find out a bit.

Another way, for sure, is to visit the USA and then come to Utah, and meet the people in Utah. You will find one kind of LDS people here.
Now if you then visit, let's say California, you will meet an entirely different kind of LDS people. Believe me, I've been there, done that !!!!!!

They may all belong to the same Church,
but they behave quite different ....

HTH.

Old 08-03-2009, 01:59 PM

26,300 posts, read 19,202,404 times
Nowadays, they are 'tolerated.'

In their beginnings, they were proof that the US didn't really give much more than lip service to the guarantees of 'freedom of religion.'

Old 08-03-2009, 02:03 PM

68 posts, read 118,223 times
They keep coming over to the UK and trying to convert us.

I did enjoy visiting Utah though.

Old 08-03-2009, 02:08 PM

30 posts, read 59,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
Wrong place to ask.
This kind of info needs to come from *the horse's mouth*,
like *from a reputable source*.

Most of us here *think* we know what LDS people in the USA are about, but that is all it is, *think* .... NOT *know* what they are all about.

What, and how one person thinks about LDS people can differ quite a bit.

Please keep in mind that there are two things that make up a description.
What is the religion all about, is one of them.
What the people are all about is another.

So you mention *people*.
The best way, since you live in Brazil, is to contact the mission people in your area, and talk to them. In most cases. at least one of them is from the USA. Meet him or her, and you can find out a bit.

Another way, for sure, is to visit the USA and then come to Utah, and meet the people in Utah. You will find one kind of LDS people here.
Now if you then visit, let's say California, you will meet an entirely different kind of LDS people. Believe me, I've been there, done that !!!!!!

They may all belong to the same Church,
but they behave quite different ....

HTH.

Are you a LDS??

Old 08-03-2009, 11:15 PM

2,544 posts, read 4,297,717 times
If you want to know about LDS in America, start here.

Old 08-03-2009, 11:28 PM

4,655 posts, read 5,091,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricinha Alcântara View Post

I would guesss that the same issues surrounding other religions affect mormons in the US, as well. Most Americans, no matter what the religion, think they're entitled to certain things, and they have a sense of personal freedom, individualism, and entitlement to prosperity.

As for mormons in general? I've done a decent amount of study of the mormon religion in the past 15 years to know that the religion as a whole is just plain wrong and unbiblical.

Old 08-04-2009, 12:09 AM

5,420 posts, read 6,524,191 times
I'm an Atheist. But I've found the Mormons to be the nicest and least judgemental of the Christians groups. They usually try to do lots of good in the community, care about education, etc. I respect their commitment, even though I don't agree with their religion. I've known a lot of Mormons, and I've found them to be some really decent, kind people.

Thats just my point of view.

Old 08-04-2009, 07:54 AM

10,219 posts, read 17,989,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marieb View Post
They keep coming over to the UK and trying to convert us.
You mean the elders/missionaries? They do that in all countries.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Missionary_(LDS_Church)

I know a fair amount about the LDS church, my childhood best friend was from a mormon family and for about a year or two when I was about 11-12, I used to attend church with them in central PA quite a lot. This was my only real exposure to church or organized religion (I have never been of a member of a church and was raised non-denominational Christian) and to be honest, my interest was more in the social aspect than religious or spiritual. The girls sunday school group had a few girls my age who I got along with and we did a lot of fun activities, crafts, trips, etc.

I still come across people who think the fundamentalist sect(s) which have received a lot of attention in the news over the last few years represent the original LDS church, which they do not. Some people still think Mormons allow polygamy which again, they do not. Some of the fundamentalist sects do but these organizations are not recgonized by the official or original LDS church. I've even met some strange people who think Mormons don't believe in Jesus Christ as their savior.... despite the name being in their official church title! There's a lot of misconceptions out there that I am continually surprised that some people still believe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality