Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2009, 10:34 PM

4,655 posts, read 5,066,666 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
Believers...

...when your churches send out missionaries, do you not prepare them by educating them about the culture of the people to whom they are supposed to minister? Do they not learn at least a passing amount of the language of the country and people where they are headed? Yes, they do. Or else they are completely unequipped to handle their job and spread the word of your religion to their heathen flock.

So why then do so many of you not bother to do the same for agnostics and atheists? Why don't most of you speak in the "language" that atheists and agnostics use -- that of science, and fact, and logic? If you want to bring us over to your side, it would help your case a lot if you presented things to us in the fashion we use to address the world.

Instead it is as if you as a missionary went to a land where nobody speaks your language, and you didn't bother to learn any of their language or customs before trying to communicate. And when the natives ignore your preaching, you wave your bible (or whatever your particular brand of holy book happens to be) at them, threaten them with eternal damnation, and rail at them for ignoring your message. Well, maybe if you learned their language they might listen. At least, you'd know you tried your best.

So learn the language. Speak to us in terms that we use. Show us your proof using facts, logic, and solid scientific evidence. Otherwise, don't be surprised if the natives ignore you.

I have attempted to use logic an you and many others on this board time and time again. You guys refuse to actually listen to the "language of reason".

Honestly, I'm convinced you just don't want to. I have yet to see a decent rebuttal for the cosmological argument. Please.....put up or shut up. Give me a decent rebuttal if you can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2009, 03:58 AM

4,511 posts, read 7,518,427 times
Quote:
Proverbs 12:16
advice heeded. didn't work.

glad to contribute to YOUR SUCCESS! costs us a smile, fast disappearing as it is.

Old 08-10-2009, 04:51 AM

2,595 posts, read 4,439,144 times
Quote:
Believers...

...when your churches send out missionaries, do you not prepare them by educating them about the culture of the people to whom they are supposed to minister? Do they not learn at least a passing amount of the language of the country and people where they are headed? Yes, they do. Or else they are completely unequipped to handle their job and spread the word of your religion to their heathen flock.

So why then do so many of you not bother to do the same for agnostics and atheists? Why don't most of you speak in the "language" that atheists and agnostics use -- that of science, and fact, and logic? If you want to bring us over to your side, it would help your case a lot if you presented things to us in the fashion we use to address the world.

Instead it is as if you as a missionary went to a land where nobody speaks your language, and you didn't bother to learn any of their language or customs before trying to communicate. And when the natives ignore your preaching, you wave your bible (or whatever your particular brand of holy book happens to be) at them, threaten them with eternal damnation, and rail at them for ignoring your message. Well, maybe if you learned their language they might listen. At least, you'd know you tried your best.

So learn the language. Speak to us in terms that we use. Show us your proof using facts, logic, and solid scientific evidence. Otherwise, don't be surprised if the natives ignore you.
I have done much missionary work. I have family members who are missionaries aswell. You do not need to know the language or culture of to be a missionary. The commandment by Jesus was to go into all the world a preach the gospel, making disciples and baptising them in the name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit. I have seen many people go, and while in these countries learn the language while there and the culture while there. The cultures of the world are not so different from our own. Everyone needs to eat and clothe themselves and have a family, etc. So there are many things that can be related. Other cultures are all descendants of Noah and all need to know the saving knowledge of Jesus Christ.

I think the problem is that we put native cultures on a pedistal, the whole "nobel savage" idea of the 18th century is still imbeded in our cultural mindset. But every culture is just people, with all of its good and bad. Unfortunately without Jesus Christ, there is more bad then good. When we as missionaries go into a new culture we bring not only the good news, but we bring sanitation, clean running water, better and richer food sources, we remove disease and bring in helpful vaccines and medicines. We give proper care to birthing mothers so they have healthy babies born. And people get trained in vital trades and skills that can give them a sustainable future.

But to the average atheist, we can provide all the logic that reason can afford, but you will still reject it. I have seen it over and over. The reason this is, is because your core beleifs and axioms are that there is no God. So, this belief system causes the atheist to reject any discussion on the subject. Any reason is unreasonable to the atheist, because they have already rejected God and his Son, Jesus Christ.

So, how can a Christian then talk to an atheist in hopes that they will listen and be saved? It is to answer them as best we can for any question they have. It is to talk like Peter said "always willing to give an answer for the hope that is in us." It is to use scripture from the bible as much as posible. Why, because the word of God is powerful. And we are to give our testimony. For it is written "they overcame by the word of their testimony and by the blood of the lamb (sacrifice of Jesus on the Cross).

So, yes we use proof (found in the bible), facts (of Jesus life, death and resurection) and scientific evidence (where it can apply, but remember science is done by falible man and inso is full of faults, so it is a good tool, but still full of many of mans missunderstandings of the world around him), and we also use our testimony. We know that the natives will ignor us, but hopefully the light of truth of Jesus Christ will one day shine upon their dark, desperate, degenerate hearts and they will know they are sinful and lost and in need of him. Until that time we continue and with much prayer.

Old 08-10-2009, 05:40 AM

3,849 posts, read 3,751,194 times
Quote:
Swing and a miss! Again, you totally missed the point by getting your hackles up simply because you saw who posted the question. You do yourself and your religion no favors by being unlike your Christ. You're blinded by anger and aggression and prejudice.

Fact One: atheists and agnostics tend to appreciate facts and logic over vague hand-waving and the word "faith".

Fact Two: atheists and agnostics generally question the overall validity of the bible, Koran, et cetera.

Fact Three
: a large majority of believers speak only in terms of faith and use their bible as their only point of reference when trying to make a point.

These three basic facts cause the majority of atheists and agnostics to simply dismiss you and your beliefs as fantasy. Therefore, I submit that if you're trying to talk to us and have us actually listen and consider what you have to say, you should present it in terms that we accept.

Many of us attempt to do this when conversing with you; we can quote biblical text at you all day, thus speaking in your "language". Why can't you offer us the same in response by presenting your case buttressed by science and logic? Give us facts, use valid science and logic to support your claims. Show us proof of your beliefs using arguments that we can't refute.

Communicate in our language, and you'll get a lot farther. And if you really can show us solid scientific proof of what you believe, you'll actually get some converts. Imagine that.
Good morning, Mercury. Though I actually agree with you on the effective use of language, I'm not sure if it's even possible to use the language of logic when discussing religious beliefs. And I'm also not sure that it would be wise to try. For instance, though I cannot 'prove' my beliefs to you or anyone else, I also don't believe your logic can 'disprove' them to me. That is because they are not based on science or logic, but on faith. And that is where I digress from those who say we should teach 'creation science' in public schools - because my beliefs are faith based, there is no 'science' to them and thus they should not be taught as such. (Though I have had other Christians call me heretic because I do study evolution and consider it to be the mechanism by which God allowed for the growth of His creation.)

Old 08-10-2009, 09:21 AM

5,462 posts, read 9,632,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikk View Post
I have done much missionary work. I have family members who are missionaries aswell. You do not need to know the language or culture of to be a missionary.

Fascinating. What countries did you go to for your missionary work where you did not need to know or understand the language or the culture? How long were you there?

Old 08-10-2009, 09:30 AM

4,323 posts, read 6,022,674 times
Quote:
Believers...

The "work" that my church does is go out and spread love, give a smile, lend an ear, hug someone, walk with them, and try to understand what they are going through. We don't need to preach at anyone. What we do is teach about the goodness of life and God. Bring people together instead of seperating them. I think that is the best thing you can do for others, especially when they are so caught up in their own lives that they forget that they are a part of the whole.
Each of us is a piece of the big puzzle and when one is excluded, the puzzle cannot be finished. Love is all anyone asks for. To be accepted and it should never matter that we are all different by way of personalities and ways of life. We are all the same inside and when we bring the inside out, it's much better than bringing the outside in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality