Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 04:04 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,761,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighting For Air View Post
1. I am no fool.

2. I do not hold the bible as proof of anything.

I was never an attorney or judge, but I did work in law enforcement for over 9 years. Thus, I have a pretty high standard for the definition of terms and sticking to those definitions. I agree, creationists play fast and loose with a lot of terms, but so do evolutionists. Speaking of the goalposts changing, evolutionists have been doing that for decades. However, when they do it, it is seen only as "revisions to the theory as new evidence is obtained and analyzed". Call it what you want, evolutionists are still often guilty of the same tactics they lambast proponents of ID for.
I understand what you're saying (pardon me for jumping in here) but the difference is that science thrives on changing views in the light of new evidence. Yet it is always based on the evidence. There has never been any reason to say 'well it looks like the mammoths predate edaphosaurus' or something about DNA completely upsets the biological links along the evolutionary line. The evidence just stacks up more and more.

It is the evidence that counts, and the scientific method is a way of evaluating evidence that ensures that it isn't misinterpreted. It isn't tactics. The lambasting ID bods get is because they get the science wrong. Now they may the science IS wrong but then to call Creationism (which is what ID is) science is a misnomer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2009, 09:03 PM

4,803 posts, read 8,753,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickiel View Post
I totally disagree that a human being born over 100,000 years ago, can then be called " Modern", that is rediculus and absurd, and I cannot reason with the absurd, its a waste of time.

Burying the dead can very well be instinct, just highly tuned instinct. Burying dead is not proof of civilization. There is no proof of cave man civilization. Anyone who would try to prove it, is only showing how much they don't understand what civilization is.

Peace.

Burying poop is instinct. Burying the dead is not.

Civilization as recognized by scholars begins with agriculture. I don't believe that I have said at any time that agriculture began over 100,000 years ago. But before civilization as we know it began, bands and tribes of hunter/gatherers flourished in Africa and outward as migration into Asia, the Middle East, and later the Mediterranean, progressed.

I'm not sure what your definition of civilization consists of, but anthropologists understand civilization to have been a progression from bands and tribes, to chiefdoms and then the idea of the state. Since early modern humans were hunter/gatherers, it would have been quite difficult to establish anything resembling the state. They were too busy trying to survive. Additionally, populations of modern humans had not reached a level that would allow a less nomadic form of life as daily sustenance required mobility.

But to suggest that that these modern humans, Homo sapien sapien, were somehow less than we, their progeny, shows a distinct lack of understanding of the technology, exploitation of resources, and adaptive abilities of our modern human ancestors.

Perhaps this little video will enlighten you a bit since you really don't seem to have the slightest clue with regard to the origin of modern humans, the antiquity of our species, and the subsequent migration out of Africa

JOURNEY OF MANKIND - The Peopling of the World

Old 08-14-2009, 09:11 PM

1,457 posts, read 6,034,294 times
Cool.

Cuz Genesis provides allowance for it due to the "was" which is really "became" in Hebrew / Aramaic.

Basically says the heaven and earth were formed, and that new life came to pass, to "replenish" the life that was.

A short way of saying what science claims in so many more words. Maybe it's because science has a insecurity problem and feels it needs to justify it's theories.

Genesis said it in so many fewer words, because it's not trying to convince anyone - just shoot from the hip.

Old 08-15-2009, 12:52 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,869,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickiel View Post
I couldcareless about the nicene creed,
That's quite a statement...and one that you probably wouldn't have made had you actually known what it was.

Here let me show you what it is that you "couldn't care less about".

The Nicene Creed.

"We believe in one God, the Father, the Almighty, maker of heaven and earth of all that is seen and unseen.

We believe in one Lord, Jesus Christ, the only Son of God, eternally begotten of the Father, God from God, Light from Light, true God from true God, begotten, not made, one in Being with the Father.

Through him all things were made. For us men and our salvation he came down from heaven: by the power of the Holy Spirit he was born of the Virgin Mary, and became man.

For our sake he was crucified under Pontius Pilate; he suffered, died,
and was buried. On the third day he rose again in fulfillment of the Scriptures; he ascended into heaven and is seated at the right hand of the
Father.

He will come again to judge the living and the dead, and his kingdom will have no end.

We believe in the Holy Spirit, the Lord, the giver of life, who proceeds from
the Father and the Son.

With the Father and the Son he is worshipped and glorified. He has spoken through the Prophets.

We believe in one holy catholic and apostolic Church.

We acknowledge one baptism for the forgiveness of sins. We look for the
resurrection of the dead, and the life of the world to come."

....but you couldn't care less about it huh? You'll make baby Jesus cry.

Old 08-15-2009, 09:30 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,207,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdvaden View Post
Cool.

Cuz Genesis provides allowance for it due to the "was" which is really "became" in Hebrew / Aramaic.

Basically says the heaven and earth were formed, and that new life came to pass, to "replenish" the life that was.

A short way of saying what science claims in so many more words. Maybe it's because science has a insecurity problem and feels it needs to justify it's theories.

Genesis said it in so many fewer words, because it's not trying to convince anyone - just shoot from the hip.
Well, if science took the route of genesis, which isn't even a cliff notes version of how the world ticks, you wouldn't have this medium to share your thoughts. Any way, I don't understand your meaning of science and insecurity. Maybe scientists and insecurity? That doesn't make sense either.

Old 08-15-2009, 05:30 PM

5,298 posts, read 4,594,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
We believe in one holy catholic and apostolic Church.

....but you couldn't care less about it huh? You'll make baby Jesus cry.

Again, just to make myself clearer; I couldcareless about ANYTHING the catholic church puts out! Not to show predujice and leave any church out, I couldcareless about ANY material, that ANY church puts out! I follow NONE of them, study NOTHING from ANY of them!
I hope that is simple and clear. I walk alone. If I am to one day know God, there will be NOTHING between me and him.

And I like it like that. Absolutely no interferance.

Peace.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality