Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 11:00 PM

1,317 posts, read 2,061,358 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighting For Air View Post
To the OP:

We could probably establish Genesis as fact about the same time that atheists could establish abiogenesis as fact.

Nuff said.

Both require faith to believe ... whether the athiests want to admit it or not.

Only real difference is that there is actually at least "some" evidence for creation and "none" for abiogenesis. In fact, abiogenesis has been all but abandoned as the stimulus for life on this planet. But since you must certainly be a scientist yourself... you already knew that.
Such as?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2009, 11:03 PM

111 posts, read 266,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
Do you think that the writer (probably Moses) was really that stupid to put something that any 8 year old would notice?

Or maybe the verse doesn't actually mean that when read in context?

I promise you that Moses did not write Genesis.

Old 08-11-2009, 01:07 AM

9,496 posts, read 12,962,909 times
Default "I'll Be Bawk!"

Quote:
To the OP:

We could probably establish Genesis as fact about the same time that atheists could establish abiogenesis as fact.

Nuff said.

Thanks, 'cause we've had quite enough rubbish from your scientifically uneducated perspective. BTW: atheists, as I've clearly told you elsewhere, do not necessarily believe in evolution or abiogenesis. They just don't see any valid evidence for your particular (or any other, for that matter...) God.

Naturally, over the course of their thoughtful self-analysis, many of them have indeed seen the obvious logic in the evidence placed before them, and the results of honest scientific study (versus fundy website blather), and they do believe in most of the science, yes. Their choice, after all.

You want to capture their hearts and minds? I'd suggest you come up with waaaayyyy better evidence than endlessly boring lists of ambiguous biblical quotes. Especially the ones that are so easily disproved!

Now we biologists and geneticists, that's a different matter. Tell you what: when you have the appropriate academic & scientific credentials, we'll happily allow you to criticize our work. Until then, you'll have to leave the room, because you don't have even a tiny bit of credibility here!

Only real difference is that there is actually at least "some" evidence for creation and "none" for abiogenesis.

More unsubstantiated blather rather than honest facts. Typical.

In fact, abiogenesis has been all but abandoned as the stimulus for life on this planet.

Hee hee. You have a sense of humor! "Abandoned!" Funny!

But since you must certainly be a scientist yourself... you already knew that.

Ahhh.. a failed attempt at being cute. Sorry; it doesn't suit you. Only I can be "cute", because, well, I'm a scientist and we know how to be cute! I mean, just look at Richard Dawkins or Carl Sagan! Cute!!!!

Well,
Bye Now! (Until Next Time!)

Old 08-11-2009, 12:10 PM

4,275 posts, read 5,431,481 times
Quote:
Do you think that the writer (probably Moses) was really that stupid to put something that any 8 year old would notice?

Or maybe the verse doesn't actually mean that when read in context?
Or maybe that your scriptures were written by a supersticious peoples with little to no scientific knowledge, and that they believes a person could actually live enarly a thousand years?

Old 08-11-2009, 12:12 PM

Quote:
To the OP:

Nuff said.

Both require faith to believe ... whether the athiests want to admit it or not.

Only real difference is that there is actually at least "some" evidence for creation and "none" for abiogenesis. In fact, abiogenesis has been all but abandoned as the stimulus for life on this planet. But since you must certainly be a scientist yourself... you already knew that.
And what "proof" of creationism is that?

Your bible?

Hardly proof at all.

Amino acids, the basic building blocks of life, are quite abundant in the universe.

Old 08-11-2009, 01:26 PM

249 posts, read 611,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxisMundi View Post
And what "proof" of creationism is that?

Your bible?

Hardly proof at all.

Amino acids, the basic building blocks of life, are quite abundant in the universe.

You should really re-read my post. It is no wonder you have a hard time being unbiased and objective with your reading of anything. No where did I mention anything about "proof" of creationism. I said "evidence".

Might I suggest you work on your basic reading comprehension skills?

Old 08-11-2009, 01:39 PM

249 posts, read 611,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
Ahhh.. a failed attempt at being cute. Sorry; it doesn't suit you. Only I can be "cute", because, well, I'm a scientist and we know how to be cute! I mean, just look at Richard Dawkins or Carl Sagan! Cute!!!!

Well, Bye Now! (Until Next Time!)

OK ... I'll bite. Prove me wrong with verifiable, peer reviewed "evidence" or "proof" of abiogenesis... that it is not only possible or plausible ... but that is indeed actually how life began on this planet. How about "proof" (not loosely interpreted coincidences) that all life on this planet originated from a common ancestor? Got any of that? Let us remember, science is the realm of what is observable, testable, and reproducible. Give me just one exampple of an observable, testable, and reproducible instance of one type of organism mutating into a completely different type of organism and I'll shut my mouth. I'm not here making a case for creation. I'm here calling BS on the claim that neo-darwinist evolution is fact. Taking the affirmative position, the burden of proof is on you, not me.

And for the record, there are scores of geneticists and microbiologists who do not agree with your position on these issues. But again, since you are obviously an objective scientist, you should already know that.

Old 08-11-2009, 01:44 PM

4,655 posts, read 5,095,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxisMundi View Post
Or maybe that your scriptures were written by a supersticious peoples with little to no scientific knowledge, and that they believes a person could actually live enarly a thousand years?

Can you prove that he didn't?

Can you tell me the average lifespan of ANY creature from 8000 years ago?

Old 08-11-2009, 03:25 PM

Quote:
You should really re-read my post. It is no wonder you have a hard time being unbiased and objective with your reading of anything. No where did I mention anything about "proof" of creationism. I said "evidence".

Might I suggest you work on your basic reading comprehension skills?
Evidence or proof, ignoring for the moment that evidence IS proof, ya got nothing of either one.

Might I suggest you base your worldview in reality?

Old 08-11-2009, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Can you prove that he didn't?

Can you tell me the average lifespan of ANY creature from 8000 years ago?
Yup, we sure can tell the life spans of creatures, and humans, from today OR "8000" years ago.

Nice arbitrary number, BTW. Would be interested (read as amused) to see where you pulled that one from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality