Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 11:55 AM

283 posts, read 936,982 times

Advertisements

(something like that) heard the preacher say that in the garden of Eden, Eve was told not to eat fruit from the tree of knowledge (I believe) and the preacher said she should have just stayed away from that tree. If she had, she never would have encountered the serpant to tell her she should in fact eat the fruit. What do you guys think? Is this sound thinking? I think it is, you should not knowingly put yourself near temptation. Just curious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2009, 01:44 PM

4,655 posts, read 5,095,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msboom View Post
(something like that) heard the preacher say that in the garden of Eden, Eve was told not to eat fruit from the tree of knowledge (I believe) and the preacher said she should have just stayed away from that tree. If she had, she never would have encountered the serpant to tell her she should in fact eat the fruit. What do you guys think? Is this sound thinking? I think it is, you should not knowingly put yourself near temptation. Just curious.

There is something to that. I've heard a few preachers mention Joseph, when Potipher's wife tried to seduce him, ran instead of trying to talk his way out of it. I guess Eve loitering by the tree provides a good sermon illustration.

Old 08-16-2009, 03:22 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,674,331 times
I think that it I went to get a closer look at this tree and suddenly a snake started speaking to me fluently in human language I would move very quickly away from that tree.

Old 08-16-2009, 03:24 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,811,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
I think that it I went to get a closer look at this tree and suddenly a snake started speaking to me fluently in human language I would move very quickly away from that tree.
Me too. Perhaps Eve was just kind of...um...dumb?

Old 08-16-2009, 03:40 PM

Lamplight wrote:
Quote:
Perhaps Eve was just kind of...um...dumb?
Do you think she might have been a dumb blond?

Old 08-16-2009, 03:45 PM

2,339 posts, read 4,416,010 times
Quote:

Yeah but everything was supposed to be all peaceful back then. What would she have had to fear from a talking snake?

Old 08-16-2009, 04:06 PM

4,655 posts, read 5,095,578 times
Quote:

Keep in mind that Adam and Eve were pretty naive....they hadn't been on earth very long, and didn't even realize they were naked.

Old 08-16-2009, 04:14 PM

kdbrich wrote:
Quote:
Keep in mind that Adam and Eve were pretty naive....they hadn't been on earth very long, and didn't even realize they were naked.
That's pretty naive alright. Even on a bad day I realize I'd better put on a pair of pants and a shirt if I'm going to venture out to the mail box.

Old 08-16-2009, 04:24 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,811,528 times
Quote:
kdbrich wrote:

That's pretty naive alright. Even on a bad day I realize I'd better put on a pair of pants and a shirt if I'm going to venture out to the mail box.
I mainly do it out of respect for the rest of society.

Old 08-16-2009, 04:53 PM

1,301 posts, read 2,117,560 times
Perhaps she shouldn't have been punished for it since she didn't know right from wrong at the time. But wait, God did tell her and Adam not to eat from that tree, so they did know at least one thing that was wrong. They didn't know right from wrong, but they did.

Maybe God allowed it to happen, which, if true, I don't think Eve should be held at fault for simply being a part of God's plan. But, all one has to do is take a good read of the OT, and you'll see God doesn't care much for women, or humanity for that matter.

Who knows.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality