Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2007, 01:42 PM

23,025 posts, read 34,421,524 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticLady1 View Post
LordaMighty! (Oops, is that a swear word?). Irishmom, your husband's parents sound like my own parents! They're so disapproving of me, that I haven't seen them in over 26 years, (long story), and haven't communicated with them in 2 1/2 years. And that, because they decided that my daughter had committed a grievous sin, by marrying a Puerto Rican boy, and compounded that sin, by having 2 boys. They've never seen either one of my kids, although they kind of claimed them, as their grandkids. But, when my daughter married, and had her children, my parents flat-out stated that not only did they no longer claim her, but that they did not claim the boys, (their great-grandsons)! And, yes, they claim to be Christian. They are strongly fundamentalist. So, when they took that stance, I cut them off entirely. I could handle the problems they had with me, and had even asked their forgiveness, for my part of the troubles between us, but I drew the line on that one! You can come after me, but you better damn sure leave my kids and grandkids out of it!

Oh, by the way, I agree with some of the other posters on here. I think your in-laws meant exactly what you think they did!
They may claim to be Christians but they don't sound very Christian to me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2007, 02:47 PM

1,921 posts, read 5,626,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
No, I don't suppose they do, but they claim the title, just the same. And, they would argue vehemently with anyone who tried to take them to task about their attitude. And, they preach it with the best of them! Fundamentalist, with a capital "F". Fortunately, I have my aunt and uncle, (and others like them), that prove that there are some Christians who try very hard to live the life, and don't come across with the judgemental and hateful attitude.

Old 05-01-2007, 04:01 PM

3,684 posts, read 11,823,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticLady1 View Post
LordaMighty! (Oops, is that a swear word?). Irishmom, your husband's parents sound like my own parents! They're so disapproving of me, that I haven't seen them in over 26 years, (long story), and haven't communicated with them in 2 1/2 years. And that, because they decided that my daughter had committed a grievous sin, by marrying a Puerto Rican boy, and compounded that sin, by having 2 boys. They've never seen either one of my kids, although they kind of claimed them, as their grandkids. But, when my daughter married, and had her children, my parents flat-out stated that not only did they no longer claim her, but that they did not claim the boys, (their great-grandsons)! And, yes, they claim to be Christian. They are strongly fundamentalist. So, when they took that stance, I cut them off entirely. I could handle the problems they had with me, and had even asked their forgiveness, for my part of the troubles between us, but I drew the line on that one! You can come after me, but you better damn sure leave my kids and grandkids out of it!

Oh, by the way, I agree with some of the other posters on here. I think your in-laws meant exactly what you think they did!
Yeah I think they meant it as I took it also. My poor in-laws have had many dissapointments...out of six kids - two married Catholics, one married a Wiccan, one married an agnostic, one married an atheist and only one married a fundamentalist Christian....guess which one they visit the most!...LOL

Old 05-01-2007, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
This is so true, and you know I've pointed that out to them many times, but they don't see any problem with acting that way.

Old 05-01-2007, 05:05 PM

1,408 posts, read 5,100,598 times
I think this is the kind of "judgmental" stuff that turns people away from Christianity. I cannot imagine refusing to go to anything important concerning my grandchild, regardless of religion, school or extracurricular activities. The love is for the child.

I've actually openly disagreed with some of my very fundamentalist friends and acquaintances (and btw I'm fundamentalist myself -- I think, depending on who's interpretation we're using). But they go a bit overboard I think in the interracial marriage thing. Even when I've pointed out biblical persons and ancestors of Jesus were interracial (Ruth & Boaz), they just don't care and think they're right anyway. You can almost feel the freezer come on when an interracial couple comes into church!

Oh...about the radiation detectors: I would have taken it to mean the same thing you did!

Old 05-01-2007, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_TN_Nana View Post
I think this is the kind of "judgmental" stuff that turns people away from Christianity. I cannot imagine refusing to go to anything important concerning my grandchild, regardless of religion, school or extracurricular activities. The love is for the child.

I've actually openly disagreed with some of my very fundamentalist friends and acquaintances (and btw I'm fundamentalist myself -- I think, depending on who's interpretation we're using). But they go a bit overboard I think in the interracial marriage thing. Even when I've pointed out biblical persons and ancestors of Jesus were interracial (Ruth & Boaz), they just don't care and think they're right anyway. You can almost feel the freezer come on when an interracial couple comes into church!

Oh...about the radiation detectors: I would have taken it to mean the same thing you did!
You sound like my kind of Christian! My in-laws probably wouldn't like you either...LOL But they may gift you a radiation detector too!

Old 05-01-2007, 07:02 PM

190 posts, read 687,347 times
Dear Irishmom, It sounds like your in-laws are very legalistic. I'm sorry they didn't attend your children's Baptism or Communion. That must have hurt you very much. Without love we have nothing, for God is love. I hope they will soon realize how precious their grandchildren are and how much they are loved by God no matter what church they are in. Jesus said "bring the little children to me".

Old 05-01-2007, 07:09 PM

190 posts, read 687,347 times
Oh by the way Irishmom, if you don't need that Radiation Detector Kit I might be able to use it. I just had radiation treatment for breast cancer and I'd like to know if I'll be glowing in the dark. LOL

Old 05-01-2007, 07:15 PM

1,683 posts, read 8,218,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilybell View Post
Oh by the way Irishmom, if you don't need that Radiation Detector Kit I might be able to use it. I just had radiation treatment for breast cancer and I'd like to know if I'll be glowing in the dark. LOL
Lilybell, I enjoy your posts and the positive spirit you exhibit even though you are going through a trial. I will remember you in my prayers. Thank you for being a shining example of Jesus to us.

Old 05-01-2007, 08:24 PM

2,800 posts, read 10,016,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilybell View Post
You are absolutely AWESOME! This is what Jesus is all about people! Someone that can have breast cancer and still have a sense of humor...not be cynical and nasty! I'll keep you in my prayers!

Just tell your inlaws that you pray for them everyday...maybe they will get the idea. Sounds like a rough road. I guess I am fortunate in the fact that everyone in my family that IS Christian, are pretty much fundamental Baptist and everyone that IS NOT Christian in still loving and respectful enough to leave it alone!

Good luck to you Irish...your situation cannot be easy...it must really hurt your kids too. I hope everything works out!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality