Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2007, 11:58 PM

982 posts, read 3,312,865 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Well I wouldn't put that on them if they never said anything about it to you. In my case my in-laws have been very open as to why they are the way they are...they think as Christians it's their job to "save" us because we as Catholics are not "saved. Since we refuse to change they will not associate with us except for rarely and I think that's from pressure from us (ok actually pressure from my husband). I think you should talk to your in-laws and see what is going on. They may be giving you space in your marriage or may just not be the warm and fuzzy type...it could have nothing to do with religion. And it may be that a talk can fix any problem or misunderstanding there might be.
It isn't anything so awful, really....I just always felt like I did something wrong. Even my husband doesn't get it. We haven't seen them in a year and a half. I can't imagine going that long without seeing my mom - they're just different. They've never said anything ugly. And, my brother-in-law now has grandchildren, so they're in the spotlight now . I shouldn't rag on them - there's just a tension that wasn't there before we got married.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2007, 12:24 AM

4,273 posts, read 15,276,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmom View Post
Last time they visited my father in law brought these radiation detection kits (evidently left over from the cold war era, found in his basement) that he gave to my husband because he said, "We [he and my mother-in-law] wouldn't need them but when the apocalypse came it would probably be through nuclear disaster or war and they would come in handy for us."
Whoa, I never heard that some people think Catholics aren't Christians. I always thought Christianity stemmed from the Catholic faith. Then again, I'm not Christian, nor Catholic so perhaps I have my facts wrong!

At any rate, what mean in-laws! I don't know what to say about the detection kit ... it's just so mean! Even to avoid grandchildren baptismals and stuff ... no matter what, children are innocent. If parents choose their children's faith for them then so be it. When they grow up, they have their own mind to make up about religion/faith. I know this sounds stupid quoting a line from Sex in the City but maybe somebody in CD "gets me"! It went something like, if you don't believe, then it's just a little water on [the baby's] head. What's the big deal? Your in-laws should at least see the whole thing as a celebration of life, the baby(ies) being a gift, a blessing, in everybody's life.

Old 05-04-2007, 12:56 PM

246 posts, read 650,368 times
Quote:
Just by this statement alone you have shown that you are not an the same kind of"Christian" that my in-laws are. They would never even entertain the thought of people from other faiths being present in the afterlife. Good for you!
Anyone can be in the "afterlife" which, as I Follower of Christ, I consider to be Heaven - as long as they believe that Jesus Christ died and rose again to save them from their sins and is their Lord and Savior. If you believe on God's teaching (Bible), then, you'll agree that Jesus Christ is the only way to get to Heaven, must go through Him to get to The Father.

Old 05-04-2007, 01:02 PM

16,086 posts, read 41,249,444 times
Foma, maybe they "get you" but they are "just not that into you".

Long live "S & The City!"

Old 05-04-2007, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
I find it funny the Catholicism is considered the first form of Christianity. And, the whole Protestant movement did not happen for roughly 1500 years. With that being said, who are they to dictate what a Christian is or isn't when they were a little late to the party to begin with??
I know many, many Catholics who are "saved" and I know many who aren't. I know many, many Christians who are saved and many who are not. I know that it shouldn't be about who started what first. It's about the what Jesus Christ did for us all and what God's Word says and helping others to discover for themselves. I really think that it break God's heart to see such division. And, as a Spirit-filled Christian (not methodist, not protestant, not lutheran, not baptist, not any denomination) who has expereinced the good and bad of various Catholic churches and various denominational and non-denom churches, there are good apples and bad apples in all of it. But, to ever think that you or your church, or your faith is superior to any other would be missing the mark, as well. In fact, it is only because of Jesus that we are who we are, not because this church is better or that religion is wrong. It's a shame that some Christians treat other members of the body of Christ (including Catholics) harshly and conversly, it's a shame that some Catholics think it's better to be a catholic, instead of a Christian. I know people who say its better to be Catholic - no, it's better to say that you follow Christ.

If you were to draw a circle diagram showing which groups made up the Christian group (for the sake or simplicity - any that claim Jesus as their Lord and Savior and teach what the Bible instructs) and which groups make up catholics, the catholics would be included in the Christian group, but no one else is included in the Catholic group, besides different kinds of Catholicism. So, which one is more judgemental, exclusive, and not so universal? To me, it's the Catholic circle. Do you know that originally, the word Catholic means Universal?

Now, I'm not out to get Catholics. Many Catholics so prefer to be called a Christian over being catholic. And, My arguement could go for anyone who thinks it more desireable to be "such& such denomination" over just being plain Christian. And, you Christians out there - it's about Jesus - let Him sort it out at the end. We shouldn't get caught up in all the differences, but look at our commonalities, and hopefully that will lead us back to Christ.

Ya hit a nerve with me, can you tell? My husband's family is upset with him (on the inside) because he decided to go to a church that wasn't CAtholic( - if you ask him, he still considers himself CAtholic, but he'll tell you that it's all about Jesus). In fact, when they came to visit us, my daughter got so excited that her grandparents could go to church with her - her hopes were dashed when they refused, politely. They see her only every so many months and couldn't go with us, one time. Me, being not CAtholic, have out of respect, gone many times over the years to their CAtholic church and events. As followers of Christ is it right to be close-minded to things of God, that may be outside of our familiarity? We weren't trying to convert them, only share with them the experience of worshipping together, as a family, for one day.
If it were me, I would be very happy that my son was going to church - at all! That he still loved God and was actively pursuing an adult relationship with Jesus and trying to teach his kids the same. His family acts as if we're just missing out. Of course, not so openly and in our face. I'm thankful for that.

Now, for you CAtholics who want to jump all over me - my husband and I went to a pre-marital retreat with the CAtholic church and it was awesome. The Holy Spirit was there and it was a very annointed and blessed weekend. One of my dear friends back in New Orleans and an awesome woman of God, actually got "saved/found Jesus" in a Catholic church. Different Catholics churches really have it going on, but to say that all the cAtholic churches are right on is like saying every baptist church is way off. See, the generalization, here?

What we all need to do or not do is to not complain how one church wants to hold praise and worship or how one church wants to give communion or how one church wants to teach. As long as it's all about Jesus, that's what matters. We need to just get what the Lord has for each of us, and not worry about what our neighbor in the body of Christ is doing, not doing, or how. When we look at others, then we're taking our eyes off of Jesus.

There, that's my peace...

Last edited by GausJAMS; 05-04-2007 at 01:20 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 05-04-2007, 01:12 PM

3,684 posts, read 11,832,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GausJAMS View Post
Ya hit a nerve with me, can you tell? My husband's family is upset with him (on the inside) because he decided to go to a church that wasn't CAtholic( - if you ask him, he still considers himself CAtholic, but he'll tell you that it's all about Jesus). In fact, when they came to visit us, my daughter got so excited that her grandparents could go to church with her - her hopes were dashed when they refused, politely. They see her only every so many months and couldn't go with us, one time. Me, being not CAtholic, have out of respect, gone many times over the years to their CAtholic church and events. As followers of Christ is it right to be close-minded to things of God, that may be outside of our familiarity? We weren't trying to convert them, only share with them the experience of worshipping together, as a family, one day.
If it were me, I would be very happy that my son was going to church - at all! That he still loved God and was actively pursuing an adult relationship with Jesus and trying to teach his kids the same. His family acts as if we're just missing out. Of course, not so openly and in our face. I'm thankful for that.

There, that's my peace...
So basically you have the same problem in reverse...oy vey what a mess!
I just think that to there are good and bad banannas in every bunch...I like to pick the good ones to hang with. To me it doesn't matter if you call yourself born again, Catholic, Presbyterian or whatever....you are Christian for the simple fact that you believe in Jesus as Christ. Kind of like people who like to say they are Italian American, African American, Irish American....still all Americans.

Old 05-04-2007, 01:30 PM

Smile yep!

Quote:
So basically you have the same problem in reverse...oy vey what a mess!
I just think that to there are good and bad banannas in every bunch...I like to pick the good ones to hang with. To me it doesn't matter if you call yourself born again, Catholic, Presbyterian or whatever....you are Christian for the simple fact that you believe in Jesus as Christ. Kind of like people who like to say they are Italian American, African American, Irish American....still all Americans.
Preach it, girl!

Old 11-09-2019, 02:30 PM

1,378 posts, read 396,328 times
Quote:
Here's the background information, much abridged: My in-laws are born again Christian. They have gone from Church of Christ (which my husband and siblings were raised in) next to Assembly of God and now they are in Word of Life. Now I know they don't think Catholics are Christian they have made that very clear by not attending any ceremony (baptisms for either son or communion of my oldest) that has to do with religion...they wouldn't even go to church for Christmas Eve when my son was singing with the choir. Fine I have accepted that this won't change and have stopped inviting them to things.
That is bizarre. The Catholic Church is obviously a Christian Church if there ever was one. I think there may be Christian groups & churches who are jealous of The Catholic Church or something. They are definitely pure Christian Folk though. The ones that truly follow the religion that is
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality