Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2007, 05:44 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,114,293 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigthirsty View Post
I'm glad I'm not a levitical priest so I don't have to do all the other things in Leviticus.. by the way.. what other teachings in Leviticus do you follow or do you pick and choose what suits your fancy?

Did I imply that I follow the teachings in Leviticus by quoting scripture that is written in the Bible? I simply did so because the original thread poster asked for scripture to be quoted that alludes to being gay as wrong. The Bible never uses the word gay or homosexual. It is an inference I have made by reading that piece of scripture. I happen to be glad I am not a levitical priest, because I happen to believe in free will, and how can you have free will with such strict rules of adherence? Maybe Leviticus was a homophobe, so therefore inserted his own indifference into his writings.

Old 11-27-2007, 05:46 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,159,147 times
[quote=dreameyes;2098254]
Quote:
Originally Posted by foma View Post
where in the Bible does it say that being gay is wrong?
QUOTE]

Being gay is not wrong and it doesn't say that in the Bible. The act of homosexuality is wrong and it does say that. Semantics.
It doesn't place it in the context of love.

Old 11-27-2007, 08:23 PM

4,440 posts, read 9,069,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poconoproud View Post
Did I imply that I follow the teachings in Leviticus by quoting scripture that is written in the Bible? I simply did so because the original thread poster asked for scripture to be quoted that alludes to being gay as wrong. The Bible never uses the word gay or homosexual. It is an inference I have made by reading that piece of scripture. I happen to be glad I am not a levitical priest, because I happen to believe in free will, and how can you have free will with such strict rules of adherence? Maybe Leviticus was a homophobe, so therefore inserted his own indifference into his writings.
My bad then..

Old 11-30-2007, 02:02 AM

79 posts, read 195,518 times
[quote=dreameyes;2098254]
Quote:
Originally Posted by foma View Post
where in the Bible does it say that being gay is wrong?
QUOTE]

Being gay is not wrong and it doesn't say that in the Bible. The act of homosexuality is wrong and it does say that. Semantics.
The original Bible doesn't say homosexuality or the act of homosexuality is wrong. Only the later (mis)translations done by (homophobic) scribes and priests does.

Old 11-30-2007, 05:49 AM

7,784 posts, read 14,886,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inigo_Montoya View Post
The original Bible doesn't say homosexuality or the act of homosexuality is wrong. Only the later (mis)translations done by (homophobic) scribes and priests does.
....in your opinion.....in the opinion of many, many translators you are mistaken....as is evidenced by the numerous translations that say the same thing on this matter. They weren't all translated by the same translators and yet, a consistent message....imagine that.

Old 11-30-2007, 06:19 AM

1,491 posts, read 3,116,487 times
Gee, well let's think about this here. If the original translation says that homosexuality is ok after all, then perhaps fornication, adultery, covetousness, killing, stealing, lying are all ok too. And for good measure, let's throw in abortion also. Gosh, and to think of all the fun things in life that I've been missing because I misread what the Bible says because it's been mistranslated. Dang it!!!

Old 11-30-2007, 07:47 AM

4,050 posts, read 6,139,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlemur View Post
Gee, well let's think about this here. If the original translation says that homosexuality is ok after all, then perhaps fornication, adultery, covetousness, killing, stealing, lying are all ok too. And for good measure, let's throw in abortion also. Gosh, and to think of all the fun things in life that I've been missing because I misread what the Bible says because it's been mistranslated. Dang it!!!
Way to compare a healthy orientation to a few heinous acts. Good job, 'cept you forgot pedophilia--everyone always loves to throw that one in.

Old 11-30-2007, 07:57 AM

7,784 posts, read 14,886,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buildings_and_bridges View Post
Way to compare a healthy orientation to a few heinous acts. Good job, 'cept you forgot pedophilia--everyone always loves to throw that one in.
Covetousness and adultery are 'heinous'.....

lying is heinous

Isn't all out of marriage sex considered fornication

Heinous

Old 11-30-2007, 12:01 PM

1,491 posts, read 3,116,487 times
Oh, that's right...pedophilia too. Gotta throw in greed, lust, bestiality etc. There are more but that list covers a lot of ground. Since when are the diseases associated with that lifestyle healthy?

Old 11-30-2007, 12:36 PM

79 posts, read 195,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
....in your opinion....
Nope.. not my opinion. The opinions of those who actually read ancient Greek and Hebrew.

Quote:
in the opinion of many, many translators you are mistaken....
They wrote what they were expected to write. If they wrote against the status quo they'd end up burnt at the stake, beheaded or worse.

Quote:
as is evidenced by the numerous translations that say the same thing on this matter. They weren't all translated by the same translators and yet, a consistent message....imagine that.
Yes and they also wrote the sun goes around the earth, the earth was made in six days and a flood covered the entire planet. But all rational people know how accurate those statements are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality