Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2007, 11:56 AM

954 posts, read 814,431 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
I don't know if you have an elephant living in your house, but Jesus is living in me.
That's as maybe but the question was....where is the contemporaneous evidence to support his existence?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2007, 11:59 AM

7,784 posts, read 14,900,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
Kwanzaa is not a religious holiday. It's a cultural one, begun in California in 1966.
Thanks, I stand corrected.

Old 05-03-2007, 12:00 PM

3,684 posts, read 11,823,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stretch00 View Post
The Koran referring to Jesus is also not evidence of the existence of Jesus. It simply means that the story of christianity was widely known.
Ah but if you go by that method of history then you would have to erase many historical figures, not just Jesus, wouldn't you.

Read this and then what do you think?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Historical_Jesus

Old 05-03-2007, 12:00 PM

646 posts, read 1,611,506 times
Tacitus was a Roman historian. He did refer to christians, and Christus, but he also wrote about 80-100 years after the events of the crucifixion.

We do not know where Tacitus heard about christianity, and he may not have been doing anything other than passing along a rumor.

This does not rise to the level of evidence for the existence of JC.

Old 05-03-2007, 12:01 PM

3,684 posts, read 11,823,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
I don't know if you have an elephant living in your house, but Jesus is living in me.
Well then by all means let him out so everyone can see him!

sorry couldn't help myself.

Old 05-03-2007, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
And we might also say that in some quarters Allah is a hated name, or Vishnu, or many others. And all too often I see people being accused of hate for no other reason than they don't believe what someone else does.
We might.

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
You know my beliefs? What makes you think you would know my beliefs from a very tiny sampling of my opinion on different things? There are times and some things about which I'm not even 100% sure what my belief is and I make no apology for that. Good, bad, or indifferent it's the truth.
Whoa, burdell. I wasn't trying to upset you. I've always enjoyed your posts and maybe you misinterpreted what I was trying to say. This keyboard doesn't do a good job conveying that sometimes. I just thought, maybe I'm wrong, that you were an atheist or agnostic...at the very least, I didn't know that what I was saying about the name of Christ would ring true for you.

I apologize for my comments and certainly didn't mean to offend you. I'm very glad I was wrong, actually!

Old 05-03-2007, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stretch00 View Post
Tacitus was a Roman historian. He did refer to christians, and Christus, but he also wrote about 80-100 years after the events of the crucifixion.

We do not know where Tacitus heard about christianity, and he may not have been doing anything other than passing along a rumor.

This does not rise to the level of evidence for the existence of JC.
.....for you....

Old 05-03-2007, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmom View Post
Well then by all means let him out so everyone can see him!
She does....every day here in her posts.

sorry, just couldn't help myself

Old 05-03-2007, 12:06 PM

646 posts, read 1,611,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmom View Post
Ah but if you go by that method of history then you would have to erase many historical figures, not just Jesus, wouldn't you.

Read this and then what do you think?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Historical_Jesus
Coming to the end of lunch, so no time to read it at the moment. A very, very quick perusal does show a total of 5 wikipedia cautions about bias or lack of references.

I think it reasonable to discredit documents such as the koran when speaking of JC. After all, it was written 600+ years after the time of the bible (how much do you know about the 15th century?), it was not written as a scholarly work, it was from a completely different culture.

Old 05-03-2007, 12:07 PM

23,025 posts, read 34,421,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pladecalvo View Post
That's as maybe but the question was....where is the contemporaneous evidence to support his existence?
Have you looked at the sky, the sun, the moon, all He created?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality