Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2009, 07:19 AM

1,595 posts, read 2,985,997 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by funymann View Post
Here is a scripture to make you all smile since you are making a bit deal out of this.

Numbers 32:10

This is all in good fun. Please don't criticize me.
So why don't you show the scripture or give us a link so we can see it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2009, 07:24 AM

3,580 posts, read 6,301,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
I watch any sports on tv and I can see sports celebrities getting mad and dropping the "F" bomb, saying the Lord's name in vain, whatever. I don't hear the words, but sure can tell what they are saying! Today, we actually hear swearing, like "Go to He**" in regular tv shows! People who serve the public, like the Manager (man) of our storage---one of the Managers (lady) of our apt. complex, at times say words that simply are not appropriate. They know that talking this way to the public is wrong, but seem to "not care at all".
My wife simply tells me not to talk with these people. She tells me to only talk "business" with these people, that's it. And, a lot of swearing is done today in the workplace. Heck, I've even noticed a certain amount of swearing in some of these Forums......especially the Relationship one!
So, what is going on out there with all of this totally inappropriate language??
Some people use that type of language because they are idiots and some even have a lack of vocabulary, which is not suprising.

Old 09-24-2009, 07:25 AM

3,580 posts, read 6,301,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J'aimeDesVilles View Post
So why don't you show the scripture or give us a link so we can see it?
Or you can look it up yourself. It's not that hard. Do as most do here, look it up on google, if you don't have a bible.

Old 09-24-2009, 07:46 AM

1,319 posts, read 1,533,793 times
Quote:
I'm surprised, but then again, not surprised at all! There are many people out in society who love to cuss/swear. But, at the same time, there are a lot of people who would definitely question their moral being, character, personality, what kind of friends they have, how they were raised, so on and so on. I pretty much knew if I didn't "go along" with "there is nothing wrong with cussing/saying the "f" word or words like it", I'd get jumped on with words......just as I did! However, it seems to me like most (if not all) of these posters aren't even close to our age bracket at all (me/60, wife/61). And, wife and I were VERY surprised to actually see in text all the words people are using in THIS Forum.......the Religion one! What I haven't seen is anyone making comments to the posters who agree with me about cussing.
One thing for sure, I DID "open up a can of worms" by disagreeing with most of these kids (at age 60, most of them are kids to us)!
I totally agree with you. Words means things and show other people who you are. For esample, people who are constantly damming other people to h**l are folks I just don't want to be around. However, it seems more and more pointless to have these types of discussions with people who have a totally different world view. It's a waste of time.

Old 09-24-2009, 07:59 AM

1,595 posts, read 2,985,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Shawn_2828 View Post
Or you can look it up yourself. It's not that hard. Do as most do here, look it up on google, if you don't have a bible.
True enough. It just seems to me that the person offering up a quote or some tidbit would just include it or at least a link seeing as they thought the item worth noting in the first place. It shouldn't be up to the reader to make the effort to backcheck everything.

Old 09-24-2009, 08:44 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,679,063 times
Quote:
So, Mercury Cougar, are you going to give "50 lashings" to this person?
Why should I? Unlike you, he's not telling me what to say and do. He merely made an observational statement. And didn't you say quite a few times already that you were leaving the thread?

Old 09-24-2009, 08:53 AM

1,088 posts, read 2,195,502 times
Quote:
Some people use that type of language because they are idiots and some even have a lack of vocabulary, which is not suprising.

There's no reason in using $1000 words when $5 words will do.

Old 09-24-2009, 10:01 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,617,448 times
Quote:
I'm not sure what you are questioning here, but I'll state it again:
Wife/I, my family/her family and very close friends of our do NOT associate/make friends with people who say these, what we call "really fithy" words such as the "f" word! This is our choice and we make that "judgement call"! There are plenty of people in society that are "ok" with people using these really profane words around them and then there are the people (like us) that don't want to have anything to do with these people who use this kind of language.
Freedom is this: YOU accept/might say this language, WE don't!
If a person is a true Christian, they surely don't want to be around anyone who uses the Lord's name in vain. But, if you're a non-Christian, you probably don't care what words are said to you or around you.
But how would you know?? The first time I dropped the 'f' bomb at my work everyone turned to me in astonishment because they had never even heard me say damn, much less anything worse. I curse like a sailor, believe me, but around certain people or in certain situations I use my articulate words and demeanor.

I probably wouldn't mind hanging out with you and your wife..but the minute you started the extreme judging and 'I'm more righteous than thou' stuff I'd probably step away. Of course...I'm also covered in tattoos and have my ears stretched so you probably wouldn't even give someone like me a chance to say hello.

Old 09-24-2009, 10:02 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,617,448 times
Quote:
I agree, some people use that type of language because they have a lack of vocabulary...but definitely not all. Like I said, I can curse in 5 languages, 3 fluently so my range of vocabulary is quite large

Old 09-24-2009, 10:45 AM

4,474 posts, read 5,411,259 times
Quote:
Well, all of you folks think what you want, but I, my wife, her family and the friends we know ABSOLUTELY REFUSE to believe that certain swears words are ok........no matter who uses them! There are a lot of people in society who think people who say the "f" word (and words like it) are.............. You folks think that it's ok, while many others don't!
Actually, wife and I are very, very glad that we have a mutual agreement with you folks: We refuse to associate with people like you and you refuse to associate with people like us! That is an excellent agreement!
Now that we have a 100%, absolutely CLEAR understanding of what we won't tolerate and what you will, I hope the Moderator shuts this Thread down! We all have gotten way to nasty towards each other in it!
I thank EVERYONE for their responses! Agree to disagree!
Firstly, America is still a free country. YOu are free ot to cuss, and people who cuss are free to do so.

Secondly, if keeping bible-thumpers away was as easy as dropping the F Bomb, I know I would swear a lot more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality