Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2007, 10:57 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,537,600 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarhill View Post
Does anyone ever notice how you can talk about God all day long but as soon as you mention the Name of Jesus...things change...I wonder why?
I think it could be because Jesus is the son of God, and sits at his side, therefore a topic for some to argue the trinity. I think it is the same reasoning that so many christians never use the word Jehovah, because it will cause a big hateful thread about the Jehovah Witnesses. It hurts me so much to see other christians deliberately acting so unchristianlike.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2007, 11:17 AM

23,025 posts, read 34,421,524 times
[quote=kawgpz550;675095]The name Jesus is so powerful! His name transforms some and revolts and angers others. There is no name above His. Those that hate His name, hate everything He stands for.

Excellent answer! There is power in His name, we a song with words: there is power, power, wonder working power in the blood of lamb". He calms my fears and gives me a peace that this world cannot give. The name of Jesus either makes people excited and happy or there is no emotion. I don't like it when I His name being used in a flip way like "Oh Jesus".One day every knee will bow and every tongue confess that He is Lord!

Old 05-06-2007, 11:21 AM

788 posts, read 4,070,873 times
Because God can refer to many different religions, or reference spirituality in general, whereas Jesus Christ connotates Christianity in particular.

Old 05-06-2007, 01:33 PM

1,408 posts, read 5,100,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticLady1 View Post
Well, that's certainly a part of it, but I suspect it's also because he has been used as an excuse to treat people badly, which leaves a sour taste in the mouth. Unfortunately, the history of the Christian church, (as a whole), over the past 2,000 years clearly bears this out. If people had been able to hold to Jesus' teachings, I have a feeling that many folks, (though not all, of course), would have had an easier time with his name, if you will.
I think you're at least partly right...I don't think people have as much of a problem with the name of Jesus as they do with those who claim to know him and commit atrocities in his name. Those of us who know Jesus, know those acts are not of him. And there are some who will scoff and deny and persecute those who believe in Him.

I do believe there is power in his name! We (Christians) are taught by Christ himself to pray in His name -- John 14:13-14

"Genuinely praying in Jesus' name and for His glory is what is important, not attaching certain words to the end of a prayer. It is not the words in the prayer that matter, but the purpose behind the prayer." From: http://www.gotquestions.org/pray-Jesus-name.html

Old 05-07-2007, 12:13 PM

246 posts, read 649,838 times
Doesn't all Hell tremble at the name of Jesus?!

The name not only signifies God's power, but also unconditional love for even those who hate Him and deny Him. It signifies, the beginning and the end. And, we as Christians, know how it all turns out - it ain't a perty site for those who don't know and love Jesus as their personal Lord & Savior.

In fact, the name Jesus, in and of itself is salvation. The Bible says you can call on the name and be saved.

Jesus is: life, freedom, unconditional love, forgiveness, healing, restoration, reconciliation, redemption, power, gentleness, acceptance, desire, destiny, promises promised and fulfilled, prophecy fulfilled, victory, provision, strength, compassion, uncompromising, steadfast, faithful, just, righteous, peace, perfect, blameless, sinless, sympathy, comfort, safety, abundance, Truth, The Way, The Light, The Word, Creation, God - the same yesterday, today, and forever!

Thank you, Lord.

Old 05-07-2007, 07:23 PM

23,025 posts, read 34,421,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GausJAMS View Post
Doesn't all Hell tremble at the name of Jesus?!

The name not only signifies God's power, but also unconditional love for even those who hate Him and deny Him. It signifies, the beginning and the end. And, we as Christians, know how it all turns out - it ain't a perty site for those who don't know and love Jesus as their personal Lord & Savior.

In fact, the name Jesus, in and of itself is salvation. The Bible says you can call on the name and be saved.

Jesus is: life, freedom, unconditional love, forgiveness, healing, restoration, reconciliation, redemption, power, gentleness, acceptance, desire, destiny, promises promised and fulfilled, prophecy fulfilled, victory, provision, strength, compassion, uncompromising, steadfast, faithful, just, righteous, peace, perfect, blameless, sinless, sympathy, comfort, safety, abundance, Truth, The Way, The Light, The Word, Creation, God - the same yesterday, today, and forever!

Thank you, Lord.
All I can add to this is AMEN!!!

Old 05-07-2007, 09:56 PM

[quote=I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA;676463]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawgpz550 View Post
The name Jesus is so powerful! His name transforms some and revolts and angers others. There is no name above His. Those that hate His name, hate everything He stands for.

Excellent answer! There is power in His name, we a song with words: there is power, power, wonder working power in the blood of lamb". He calms my fears and gives me a peace that this world cannot give. The name of Jesus either makes people excited and happy or there is no emotion. I don't like it when I His name being used in a flip way like "Oh Jesus".One day every knee will bow and every tongue confess that He is Lord!
Preach it!
Gosh, what a great old song, from way back! Still powerful!

Old 05-07-2007, 10:01 PM

Smile Jehovah...

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
I think it could be because Jesus is the son of God, and sits at his side, therefore a topic for some to argue the trinity. I think it is the same reasoning that so many christians never use the word Jehovah, because it will cause a big hateful thread about the Jehovah Witnesses. It hurts me so much to see other christians deliberately acting so unchristianlike.
You know, we Christians don't use the names of God, enough. Even if we could name all the names (like Jehovah Nissi or Jehovah Rapha), would we know what they mean? there is power in the meanings and a very NOW power, for our everday living. Gees, there was a time I could list them and ascertain which ones meant which. Ya got me there. Thanks Lord, for that simple conviction.

You know, if Jehovah witnesses is what we think, first when we hear the word Jehovah, we're in pretty bad shape.

Old 05-08-2007, 06:35 AM

7,784 posts, read 14,900,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GausJAMS View Post
You know, if Jehovah witnesses is what we think, first when we hear the word Jehovah, we're in pretty bad shape.
This is very true.

I don't know if you know the song 'Days of Elijah' but we were singing it with the youth group I lead. There's a part where we sing 'There's no God like Jehovah, There's no God like Jehovah." One of the youth wanted me to explain how we could sing that since Jehovah's Witnesses are considered a cult.

Sad. Excellent points, GausJAMS.

Old 05-08-2007, 06:55 AM

1,962 posts, read 5,201,587 times
Yes, there is power in Jesus' name. But there is more than that, it's the power of the person connected to the name as well. In fact, the name Jesus was common in the first century. It means nothing to us if it's not connected to the person known as Jesus of Nazareth or Jesus Christ. And that we can be very thankful for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality