Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2007, 07:02 AM

4,664 posts, read 8,243,839 times

Advertisements

The link below is interesting. The US ranks very low in first world countries in its belief in evolution. Comparitively, the US also ranks very low in its understanding of biology. Is there a link?

Evolution is scientific FACT. There is a quote in this site that states "if you don't believe in evolution, then you may aswell believe that the earth is flat". It is a fact that we evolved from earlier species. There is no debate on this point.

Why is it, than only 40% of Americans accept evolution?

http://www.livescience.com/health/060810_evo_rank.html

P.s My wife is American and we are moving to california, so please don't think this a "lets have a go at America" type thing.

Old 05-07-2007, 07:50 AM

7,784 posts, read 14,891,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian6479 View Post
The link below is interesting. The US ranks very low in first world countries in its belief in evolution. Comparitively, the US also ranks very low in its understanding of biology. Is there a link?.
By link you mean linking these two statements to the fact that we're one of the most advanced nations on our flat Earth?

Or the fact that despite this folks still seem to want to flock to us??

Quote:
Why is it, than only 40% of Americans accept evolution?
Because 60% of us don't agree with what you call fact.

Old 05-07-2007, 08:01 AM

7,055 posts, read 19,316,919 times
What was most surprising to me was the growth in the percentage of adults who are "unsure." I wonder if that means more people are questioning what they believe, or if people say "I don't know" because they don't think anymore.

Old 05-07-2007, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
By link you mean linking these two statements to the fact that we're one of the most advanced nations on our flat Earth?

Or the fact that despite this folks still seem to want to flock to us??

Because 60% of us don't agree with what you call fact.

there is no need to take these comments as an insult. Like I said, my wife is American, I have lived there, I have countless American friends, and am moving to California early next year.

Its not what I call fact, it IS fact. There is NO doubt that we developed from earlier species.

Old 05-07-2007, 08:08 AM

7,784 posts, read 14,891,120 times
Quote:
there is no need to take these comments as an insult. Like I said, my wife is American, I have lived there, I have countless American friends, and am moving to California early next year.

Its not what I call fact, it IS fact. There is NO doubt that we developed from earlier species.
I didn't take them as an insult. Sorry if I came across that way.

And based on what I've looked at, there's as much evidence on both sides to require a great deal of faith for both me(Creationist) and you(Evolutionist).

Start here:http://www.answersingenesis.org/home...thropology.asp

but more specifically here:http://www.answersingenesis.org/crea.../i4/people.asp

Old 05-07-2007, 08:10 AM

23,019 posts, read 34,393,868 times
Quote:

It's not a FACT to me. I believe the believe the Bible and that God created us.

Old 05-07-2007, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
It's not a FACT to me. I believe the believe the Bible and that God created us.
you can still believe that. the OP that I was making is that evolution is about species developing and changing through natural selection. The fact that we developed from earlier species is not in question.. that is what the OP was about. Sorry, but if something is a FACT it is a FACT regardless of what you believe. Believing something in the face of strong contracdictory evidence is known as "delusion".

Old 05-07-2007, 08:22 AM

1,372 posts, read 5,211,415 times
ok so let's believe both seeing as we have the silly chimp wants to be human story

God did create man

Then somewhere down the line Chimps wanted to be like us
so they also Evolved into man
there both theories covered
I hate to be so callus about it
But there are facts out there that state his theory and there are facts that state ours

OOOORRRRRRRRR........

just exactly how old is the oldest skeleton that was found???

and how long ago did we agree that God put man on the earth??

I think those numbers should be kinda close?

my thing is this.....yes God created us but we may have also evolved into the "man" we see today.... maybe we didn't always look as we do today

there also.... both theories covered
which one sounds more like a "duck" to you

Old 05-07-2007, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dncngrl1964 View Post
ok so let's believe both seeing as we have the silly chimp wants to be human story

God did create man

Then somewhere down the line Chimps wanted to be like us
so they also Evolved into man
there both theories covered
I hate to be so callus about it
But there are facts out there that state his theory and there are facts that state ours

OOOORRRRRRRRR........

just exactly how old is the oldest skeleton that was found???

and how long ago did we agree that God put man on the earth??

I think those numbers should be kinda close?

my thing is this.....yes God created us but we may have also evolved into the "man" we see today.... maybe we didn't always look as we do today

there also.... both theories covered
which one sounds more like a "duck" to you

oldest skeleton is 3.2 million years old. According to the bible the earth was created 6,000 years ago, and man on day 4.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/4322687.stm

Old 05-07-2007, 09:17 AM

7,915 posts, read 18,628,860 times
This topic immediately caught my attention because it's one of my biggest complaints of the influence of religion in America. The promotion of creationism has become a small industry in this country and there's alot of total nonsense on the internet, the selling of creationism books and basically people who are trying to make a profit from the argument. As I've said before evolution is mainstream science that's taught in colleges and universities around the world and there is no raging debate about it's validity as creationists would have you believe. I noticed that on the thread I created about who believes in a young earth versus an old earth scenario that no one made any attempt to produce any evidence for a young earth. That's because there isn't any. As the years have gone by we keep discovering more and more fossil evidence that gives a more complete picture of the evolution of life on this planet. It's interesting to note that the neandertals who many have thought were a direct descendent of modern humans have finally yielded DNA results from bone fragments and it is conclusive now that they were not human at all and just another branch in the evolution of primates. Creationists had tried to portray them as deformed humans because of disease or whatever but that's been proven false. We do have some excellent specimans that represent our ancestral lineage and the gradual shaping of the skull and skeleton until it finally becomes fully human.
I don't understand why America has this strange religious culture that promotes ideas that are completely outdated and make our nation look foolish. It even undermines the religion itself by making it look foolish as well. Not many serious minded people are going to accept a church or religion that promotes this sort of thing. Religious people should turn their attention to things that really matter and might actually help their fellow man instead of concentrating on nonsense like creationism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality