Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 02:25 AM

2,958 posts, read 2,561,469 times

Advertisements

Recent survey results show Tennessee rated 5th in the United States among "Most Religious." Just north of here about 60 miles Kentucky also in the top 10.

86% of Tennesseans believe there's a god and 72% claim Christianity as the truth.

Bible Belt is what it is with little hope for change as long as the brainwashing of innocent, gullible infants and small children continues. I think my wife and I will finally move some time during the next 3-5 years. Hawaiian Islands a good possibility. Maui first choice...Kauai second.

My wife was born in Louisville, KY and neither of us believe the fairy tales.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2010, 05:19 AM

2,339 posts, read 4,402,828 times
I wonder where Mississippi ranks....just going into my small town Walmart is like a Pentecostal women's convention! HaHa!

Old 01-07-2010, 05:59 AM

2,884 posts, read 5,933,140 times
Is there a link to the survey?

Old 01-07-2010, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarmig View Post
WBIR.com | Knoxville, TN | 84 percent of Tennesseans said they believe in God

You'll have to cut me a little slack on the numbers. I was listening to them talk about it while I was shaving.

Old 01-07-2010, 06:14 AM

33,548 posts, read 37,151,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarmig View Post
I don't know if this is the one, but...

State of the States: Importance of Religion

This seems to go hand in hand with religion..
Teen birth rates highest in most religious states - Kids and parenting- msnbc.com

Old 01-07-2010, 06:36 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,564,648 times
One factor in that is religious teenagers are probably less likely to abort. Another is this is likely one of those "we are going to define religious exclusively in terms of Baptist and Pentecostal denominations." Idaho, The Dakotas, Nebraska, Utah, and Virginia come out below average on teen birth. Granted Indiana and Kansas do somewhat poor while being more Methodist or whatever, but still religion/teen-birth is not necessarily connected.
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitors sites is not allowed

Addendum: To my surprise the MSNBC article itself is pretty fair and indicates the issues on abortion as well as the description of "religiousness" being a potentially narrow one. So I removed my criticism of the network.

Last edited by Yac; 02-23-2010 at 07:51 AM..

Old 01-07-2010, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
I don't know if this is the one, but...

State of the States: Importance of Religion

This seems to go hand in hand with religion..
Teen birth rates highest in most religious states - Kids and parenting- msnbc.com
I posted the link after they asked.

Old 01-07-2010, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
One factor in that is religious teenagers are probably less likely to abort. Another is this is likely one of those "we are going to define religious exclusively in terms of Baptist and Pentecostal denominations." The Dakotas, Nebraska, and Utah come out below average on teen birth. Granted Indiana and Kansas do somewhat poor while being more Methodist or whatever, but still religion/teen-birth is not necessarily connected. (And MSNBC is like Fox-News for the Left, I avoid both when I can)
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitors sites is not allowed
You can knock MSNBC and waffle all you want, but it is a report on a Pew survey, and pretty much lines up with the Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitors sites is not allowedfigures

I guess it must suck to constantly have to defend every aspect of your religion, ( Glad I'm not you) but I certainly do think this and many other things are somewhat connected to religion.

Sociologist Finds That Religious Devotion Does Not Impact Abortion Decisions Of Young Unwed Women.
Sociologist Finds That Religious Devotion Does Not Impact Abortion Decisions Of Young Unwed Women

Many religious teens are not educated on the use of birth control, and it's use is discouraged...You must have been a teen once; do you not remember the raging hormones? Most of them are going to have sex, with or without protection no matter what the church or their parents say.

You will also find that the rate of gonorrhea and is also much, much higher in the bible belt; another result of discouraging birth control (protection) Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitors sites is not allowed

Old 01-07-2010, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Most of them are going to have sex, with or without protection no matter what the church or their parents say.
Do fat people have a lot of sex?

Here is a revealing fact about the fattest states in the nation:

Mississippi is number one and West Virginia and Alabama remained as the second and third fattest states this year. The four states of Mississippi, West Virginia, Alabama, and Louisiana make up the fattest four.

I don't have any poll results but I'll bet you that the most religious are also tied directly to quantity and quality of education.

Old 01-07-2010, 07:11 AM

Yes, it seems that the bible belt is also the least educated.Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitors sites is not allowed

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality