Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 11:12 AM

8,998 posts, read 14,782,217 times

Advertisements

Pam's House Blend:: Dutch Christian schools start teaching respect and empathy for gays

Quote:
have become convinced that pretending homosexuality doesn't exist is not an option. ...It does exist. Gay teachers work at each of the four Reformed schools and there are students with homosexual feelings. We want these students have a good school experience, they are allowed to exist.
-- Huib van Leeuwen, President of the Reformed Schools committee
Now isn't it nice to read about Christians who aren't promoting homophobia?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2010, 11:53 AM

981 posts, read 805,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
Pam's House Blend:: Dutch Christian schools start teaching respect and empathy for gays

I think the trend is fortunately going to continue in the future.

Old 01-04-2010, 12:01 PM

33,521 posts, read 37,121,123 times
Same thing goes here, but the fundies don't much like it.

Quote:
The British Columbia school curriculum from K to 12 has been revised to present a favourable portrayal of homosexuality and the homosexual life style.
Americans for Truth » British Columbia, Canada School Curricula Now Celebrate Homosexuality (http://americansfortruth.com/news/british-columbia-canada-school-curricula-now-celebrate-homosexuality.html - broken link)

Last edited by sanspeur; 01-04-2010 at 01:07 PM..

Old 01-04-2010, 12:59 PM

4,474 posts, read 5,411,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Same thing goes here, but the fundies don't much like it.

The British Columbia school curriculum from K to 12 has been revised to present a favourable portrayal of homosexuality and the homosexual life style.
Americans for Truth » British Columbia, Canada School Curricula Now Celebrate Homosexuality (http://americansfortruth.com/news/british-columbia-canada-school-curricula-now-celebrate-homosexuality.html - broken link)
Whats a "homosexual lifestyle"?

Old 01-04-2010, 01:06 PM

33,521 posts, read 37,121,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxisMundi View Post
Whats a "homosexual lifestyle"?
It is the fundie description...The site I linked to is a fundie page.

Old 01-04-2010, 01:11 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:

Ah, my Hollander relatives have always been ahead of the game when it comes to equal rights.

They founded New Amsterdam and much of New York City's open-mindedness and acceptance of everyone is a direct descendant of the colony's policies. New Amsterdam welcomed in the first synagogue in what is now the US when they accepted a group of Sephardic Jews who were fleeing from persecution in Brazil, and they lent the first Catholic parish on Manhattan island the money to build their church and then later forgave the mortgage.

That's the truth. It's also the truth that the Dutch were pretty active in the shipping part of the slave trade and fought hard against abolition in New Jersey because they needed the slaves to work their farms. There are always two sides to every story!

Old 01-04-2010, 01:15 PM

4,474 posts, read 5,411,259 times
Quote:

Perhaps I am quite jaded due to being burnt by Christians once too often in charitable and inter-faith endevours, but something just doesn't seem right here.

Perhaps if there was more info? Perhaps there is something lost in the translations?

I would really, truely like to believe that the European Christians (who are different than our US brand I understand) are finally adapting that portion of their sriptures to modern times as well.

But I'll need to reserve judgement on this one.

Old 01-04-2010, 01:18 PM

77,005 posts, read 47,597,802 times
Having been to Holland several times, this news does not surpeise me at all. Anything goes in Holland.

Old 01-04-2010, 03:06 PM

3,451 posts, read 7,052,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Having been to Holland several times, this news does not surpeise me at all. Anything goes in Holland.
Would you rather that The Netherlands copy Uganda and introduce an Anti-Homosexuality Bill ?

Old 01-04-2010, 03:34 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,782,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxisMundi View Post
Perhaps I am quite jaded due to being burnt by Christians once too often in charitable and inter-faith endevours, but something just doesn't seem right here.

Perhaps if there was more info? Perhaps there is something lost in the translations?

I would really, truely like to believe that the European Christians (who are different than our US brand I understand) are finally adapting that portion of their sriptures to modern times as well.

But I'll need to reserve judgement on this one.
I am quite cynical most days but this article has me hopeful.
I really don't think such classes are necessary since the country seems to be tolerant in general but if it helps one gay student, it's worth it in my books.

Too bad we aren't seeing Christian schools in the U.S. do this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality