Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2009, 12:21 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,933,991 times

Advertisements

One unique take I saw about this connection came from a very devout Roman Catholic writer, L. Brent Bozell, Jr. A longtime National Review editor, founder/editor of a very conservative Catholic journal, Triumph, Bozell lapsed into manic depression around the time he discontinued Triumph (it lasted a decade; I am not a Roman Catholic but I was aware of Bozell and the magazine; I'd read his book analysing the Warren Supreme Court, and the jacket mentioned he had now become that magazine's editor) and suffered with it the rest of his life.

In 1986, Bozell came out with an anthology of his writings, Mustard Seeds, in which he enunciated his belief that his manic depression was God-given, along the line of, "Who the Lord loves, He disciplines," and that it was intended among other things to teach him again about forgiveness. (Bozell, who died in 1997, was by his own admission one of those men for whom sin had no rights and the sinner even less.)

As a manic depressive myself, I'm not sure what to make of the proposition that the illness might be God-given, but as a believer in God, if not necessarily in formal religion (I'm Jewish, and comfortable therewith, but I'm still ambivalent enough about formal religious practise), I'm not entirely convinced that the illness isn't of His induction, though for what possible reason I've yet to determine. If learning forgiveness is part of it, I'll grant that such learning has been a lifelong struggle that I didn't begin to win until very recent years.

But I simply don't know enough to make a definitive call.

Last edited by WhistlerMCMLV; 10-18-2009 at 12:36 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2009, 12:47 PM

2,958 posts, read 2,565,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhistlerMCMLV View Post
One unique take I saw about this connection came from a very devout Roman Catholic writer, L. Brent Bozell, Jr. A longtime National Review editor, founder/editor of a very conservative Catholic journal, Triumph, Bozell lapsed into manic depression around the time he discontinued Triumph (it lasted a decade; I am not a Roman Catholic but I was aware of Bozell and the magazine; I'd read his book analysing the Warren Supreme Court, and the jacket mentioned he had now become that magazine's editor) and suffered with it the rest of his life.

In 1986, Bozell came out with an anthology of his writings, Mustard Seeds, in which he enunciated his belief that his manic depression was God-given, along the line of, "Who the Lord loves, He disciplines," and that it was intended among other things to teach him again about forgiveness. (Bozell, who died in 1997, was by his own admission one of those men for whom sin had no rights and the sinner even less.)

As a manic depressive myself, I'm not sure what to make of the proposition that the illness might be God-given, but as a believer in God, if not necessarily in formal religion (I'm Jewish, and comfortable therewith, but I'm still ambivalent enough about formal religious practise), I'm not entirely convinced that the illness isn't of His induction, though for what possible reason I've yet to determine. If learning forgiveness is part of it, I'll grant that such learning has been a lifelong struggle that I didn't begin to win until very recent years.

But I simply don't know enough to make a definitive call.
Ironically those who endure depression are among the most creative among us. The paper I read mentioned Van Gough and the time he severed his own ear.

Mike Tyson on the other hand chewed off the ear of Evander Holyfield when he was depressed.

Old 10-18-2009, 01:54 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,933,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvin.George View Post
Ironically those who endure depression are among the most creative among us. The paper I read mentioned Van Gough and the time he severed his own ear.

Mike Tyson on the other hand chewed off the ear of Evander Holyfield when he was depressed.
Well, I don't think you'd have called Mike Tyson especially creative . . . unless beating people up is an art form, that is . . .

Old 10-18-2009, 02:52 PM

2,958 posts, read 2,565,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhistlerMCMLV View Post
Well, I don't think you'd have called Mike Tyson especially creative . . . unless beating people up is an art form, that is . . .
lol

Old 10-18-2009, 04:57 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,591,501 times
Bipolar people sometimes are very creative. Mania can be a very creative state. Much of what one creates during mania might be garbage, but some of it might have real value.

Depression is creative for some people, but I'd say normally it's more a "necessity is the mother of invention" situation. They try to do something creative to lift or work on their depression like how a poor person might be inspired to invent in hopes that will get them out of poverty. It's more a motivator than a source, but there might be exceptions to that.

Old 10-18-2009, 07:06 PM

6,351 posts, read 9,990,709 times
My main problem, now that I think about it is...WHAT THE HECK IS WRONG WITH MENTAL ILLNESS ANYWAY?! I mean, if it doesn't hurt anyone, and people enjoy it, so what? Not too long ago, men and women of science considered being a homosexual to be a mental illness...

As long as people are cool with being nuts, and are not hurting anyone, let them stay nuts. I can't help but think of two T-shirts that said it best:

Quote:
I do not suffer from insanity...no, I enjoy it immensly, thank you very much
And,

Quote:
You're just jealous because the voices don't talk to you

Old 10-18-2009, 08:17 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,591,501 times
Oh much of it was enjoyable. Much of it was wonderful even.

One problem is that, like drugs, it often doesn't stay wonderful for that long. Another problem is you do start hurting yourself even if it's just through inaction. Your hygiene may go to heck (not in my case though as I enjoyed showering when I was loopy), you don't eat right, you hurt people's feelings, and you don't get anything accomplished. It's difficult to make a living when your devoting most of your time to writing bad poetry on little slips of paper, making handwritten pamphlets on the Reptiloid conspiracy, kissing subway tiles, hoarding gum wrappers, discussing political science with your shower curtain, etc. (Many to most of these refer to stories of mental illness that aren't mine)

Old 10-19-2009, 12:42 AM

6,351 posts, read 9,990,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post

One problem is that, like drugs, it often doesn't stay wonderful for that long. Another problem is you do start hurting yourself even if it's just through inaction. Your hygiene may go to heck (not in my case though as I enjoyed showering when I was loopy), you don't eat right, you hurt people's feelings, and you don't get anything accomplished. It's difficult to make a living when your devoting most of your time to writing bad poetry on little slips of paper, making handwritten pamphlets on the Reptiloid conspiracy, kissing subway tiles, hoarding gum wrappers, discussing political science with your shower curtain, etc. (Many to most of these refer to stories of mental illness that aren't mine)

One could make the same exact argument about romantic love. Until it becomes a problem, be it love, religion, or mental illness, in that it hurts the person involved, it is not a problem that needs to be treated.

For the record, and I am not joking, I actually had a counselor in highschool who was concerned that I had no intrest in sports. Granted, some times I feel like I am indeed the only heterosexual man who is not intrested in sports, but I sincerely doubt that that is a sign of mental illness.

Too much of today's mental health industry is dedicating not to making people healthy and/or happy, but is dedicated to making people conform. I have heard allot of people say the same thing: Mental health professionals do not know how to tell an eccentric, harmless weirdo from someone who is truly suffering...did I mention that, a part of may therapy for clinical depression in Junior High was to promise to no longer wear my combat boots? What the heck does wearing knee high black Tanker Boots have to do with depression, I don't know.

Old 10-19-2009, 12:50 AM

33,574 posts, read 37,202,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post

Or sitting at your computer debating with people you don't even know...I'm talking about myself here....I spend way too much time doing just that, and procrastinating with everything else....

Old 10-19-2009, 12:57 AM

33,574 posts, read 37,202,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
Too much of today's mental health industry is dedicating not to making people healthy and/or happy, but is dedicated to making people conform. I have heard allot of people say the same thing: Mental health professionals do not know how to tell an eccentric, harmless weirdo from someone who is truly suffering...did I mention that, a part of may therapy for clinical depression in Junior High was to promise to no longer wear my combat boots? What the heck does wearing knee high black Tanker Boots have to do with depression, I don't know.
I think you have hit the nail squarely on the head here....What a dull world it would be if we were all alike. We need our differences to make life interesting. The most interesting people I have met were all eccentric in one way or another.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality