Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2009, 03:03 PM

1,736 posts, read 2,106,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
It won't matter, his type will never accept fact, or even TRY to understand what evolution really is or means. It's always "god did it" for them.
I have stated that I do not believe in the Bible creator God.

Pay attention.

Regards
DL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2009, 03:06 PM

[quote=Kaye02;11351166]What change to his environment? He does not live in space and time. quote]

How can you possibly know this?

Regards
DL

Old 10-26-2009, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggy Anne View Post
Spirit energy is perfect. Material energy/matter is imperfect because it changes. I believe that the transforming energy was created and evolves. This magnificent omniverse is filled with things that we can't comprehend because we are currently limited, but when we open our minds, and contemplate the possibilities, we realise that there are other things "out there." No one can tell us what we MUST believe. Had we mentioned the giant sabre toothed tiger on earth, most likely we'd have been ridiculed. But then, the skeletons were found, and no more laughing. We are connected by space. Being human isn't the only game in town in the long run. My comprehension of god is limited, but I don't have to limit myself to religious views of god.
How do you know that spirit energy does not change?

Regards
DL

Old 10-26-2009, 03:42 PM

985 posts, read 2,602,052 times
[quote=Greatest I am;11354628]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaye02 View Post
What change to his environment? He does not live in space and time. quote]

How can you possibly know this?

Regards
DL
If we're going to assume god needs an environment, he must have been somewhere before he created space and time. Why would he move from where he was originally to our universe? Just out of curiosity, why would you think god is perfect if you don't believe in the Christian biblical god? Or were you just speculating?

lol I think we're just going to go around in circles, like every other religious debate. At least it's entertaining.

Old 10-27-2009, 02:26 PM

[quote=Kaye02;11355093]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatest I am View Post

If we're going to assume god needs an environment, he must have been somewhere before he created space and time. Why would he move from where he was originally to our universe? Just out of curiosity, why would you think god is perfect if you don't believe in the Christian biblical god? Or were you just speculating?

lol I think we're just going to go around in circles, like every other religious debate. At least it's entertaining.
We will go round and round if you make statements and then do not back them up when questioned.

The God I know is a cosmic consciousness.

I say that God/nature/evolution are perfect.
For perfect, I use the American version.

In the American language, as opposed to the English language, perfect does not necessarily mean excellent or complete beyond practical or theoretical improvement; entirely without any flaws, defects, or shortcomings or unqualified; absolute. In American, there can be degrees of perfection.

The Preamble to the United States Constitution wrote:
We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union ...

Jesse Jackson, Jr. wrote a book, A More Perfect Union: Advancing New American Rights.
"A More Perfect Union" is the name of a speech delivered by the Senator for Illinois, Barack Obama () on March 18, 2008 in the course of the contest for the 2008 Democratic Party presidential nomination.
Scott Mutter, an American photographer, has a gallery called, A More Perfect World.
Cynthia Nolan, at the annual meeting of the International Studies Association, San Diego, California, USA on Mar 22, 2006 presented a paper entitled "More Perfect Oversight: Intelligence Oversight and Reform".

This allows for evolving perfection.

Regards
DL

Old 10-27-2009, 02:30 PM

6,034 posts, read 10,689,303 times
Quote:
I have stated that I do not believe in the Bible creator God.

Pay attention.

Regards
DL
I'm not the one who needs to pay attention, and I didn't say you believed in the Christian god. You and those like you, no matter what type of god they believe in, need to actually learn what evolution is before making statements of fact about it.

Old 10-27-2009, 03:12 PM

985 posts, read 2,602,052 times
[quote=Greatest I am;11369626]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaye02 View Post

We will go round and round if you make statements and then do not back them up when questioned.

The God I know is a cosmic consciousness.

I say that God/nature/evolution are perfect.

In the American language, as opposed to the English language, perfect does not necessarily mean excellent or complete beyond practical or theoretical improvement; entirely without any flaws, defects, or shortcomings or unqualified; absolute. In American, there can be degrees of perfection.

The Preamble to the United States Constitution wrote:
We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union ...

Jesse Jackson, Jr. wrote a book, A More Perfect Union: Advancing New American Rights.
"A More Perfect Union" is the name of a speech delivered by the Senator for Illinois, Barack Obama () on March 18, 2008 in the course of the contest for the 2008 Democratic Party presidential nomination.
Scott Mutter, an American photographer, has a gallery called, A More Perfect World.
Cynthia Nolan, at the annual meeting of the International Studies Association, San Diego, California, USA on Mar 22, 2006 presented a paper entitled "More Perfect Oversight: Intelligence Oversight and Reform".

This allows for evolving perfection.

Regards
DL
Ugh, you asked why I thought God didn't live in the universe. I answered that, I said I didn't think he would be because if we are assuming he needs an "environment" then he must have lived in some "environment" before space and time. My point was that he wouldn't need to change his "environment" or "location" after he created the universe.

You don't back up anything you say either, You're assuming he does live in this universe and that he had an "environment" before he created this universe. There's no proof god even exists, we're both just speculating, you know.
When we talk about perfect (in varying degrees) in American language it usually means it lacks obvious flaws, like a perfect diamond. It may have flaws but you can't see it with the naked eye. Same goes with the Preamble to the United States Constitution, there were flaws but not ones they could identify at the time, hence the phrase "more perfect." However, when we talk about nature and evolution there are obvious flaws we can observe.

All you are doing is playing with semantics.

Last edited by Kaye02; 10-27-2009 at 04:16 PM..

Old 10-27-2009, 06:02 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,753,311 times
Quote:
Have you never seen a newborn, even one with flaws?
It is as perfect as nature and evolution can produce.
Nature always does the best it can with whatever DNA is at hand. Optimizing is perfection over time.

Regards
DL
Have you ever seen a newborn with Spina bifida? What about a newborn with anencephaly? About as far from perfect as possible. But then...
Quote:

...that is an awfully strange use of the word "perfect". If you don't consider "perfect" to mean "without flaws", then I'm not sure how there could be any use in saying "I say that God/nature/evolution are perfect". What's the point of this thread if what you really mean is, "God and nature do pretty well, for the most part, but are not without flaws" ?

Old 10-27-2009, 06:28 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,547,620 times
Doesn't your gawd profess long and loud that all 'his' followers are flawed an defective, born with sin and lots of other nonsense, and that 'he' alone is perfect and without reproach?

If this complex were exhibited by a person, would they not be considered unstable or mentally ill?

Old 10-28-2009, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
I'm not the one who needs to pay attention, and I didn't say you believed in the Christian god. You and those like you, no matter what type of god they believe in, need to actually learn what evolution is before making statements of fact about it.

Taking into account only those working in the relevant fields of earth and life sciences, there are about 480,000 scientists, but only about 700 believe in "creation-science" or consider it a valid theory (Robinson 1995). This means that less than 0.15 percent of relevant scientists believe in creationism. And that is just in the United States, which has more creationists than any other industrialized country. In other countries, the number of relevant scientists who accept creationism drops to less than one tenth of 1 percent[/i]". http://www.talkorigins.org/indexcc/CA/CA111.html

Regards
DL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality