Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 08:34 AM

2,595 posts, read 4,439,571 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvin.George View Post
Creation Of The Universe Took Six Days...About 6,000 Years Ago.

THEN

Two Naked Teenagers In A Garden With A Snake And An Apple Determined The ETERNAL Fate Of Mankind.

C'MON NOW!!!
Or nothing exploded to give us all that we see. Then after billions of years this matter combined in an intricately complicated way to walk out of the ocean. this thing that walked out of the ocean went through billions upon billions of changes so small that no one has ever observed them happening to give us all of the creatures on earth.

And we are the product of this infinit and random impossibility that no one has ever seen happen nor can prove happened.

C'MON NOW!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2009, 08:35 AM

2,595 posts, read 4,439,571 times
Quote:
Hey! I'm just reviewing facts. That's exactly what it says.
No it isn't!

Old 10-28-2009, 08:42 AM

4,323 posts, read 6,023,692 times
Quote:
Creation Of The Universe Took Six Days...About 6,000 Years Ago.

THEN

Two Naked Teenagers In A Garden With A Snake And An Apple Determined The ETERNAL Fate Of Mankind.

C'MON NOW!!!
If you don't believe in the book or the people who are in the story, why bother with it? I mean, why not just let it go and live your life in such a way that you never have to listen to the stories again?

I don't believe it's literal and I don't believe it's 100% truth, however, I let people alone with it and go my own way and give my opinions about it when a question arises I want to answer. I find you are baiting instead of ignoring and going your own way.

I don't believe the earth was created in 6000 years, more like 10 billion years. I don't believe that it was two teenagers naked in a garden with talking snakes or sinful fruit trees. More like two adults, by our standards, coming here to uplift a rebellion ridden planet and they were given a big task and couldn't do it because of pride. The "snakes" were the Lucifer clan trying to encourage Eve to do something that God's plan didn't include. The tree was not a fruit tree. It was a life sustaining plant that they fed off of each day because they were unique creatures, more spirit formed, and it was the only way they could survive. They Became mortal after they followed a member of Lucifers staff and no longer able to obtain immortality. They did, however, gain that once in the spirit world and are now serving mankind in the upliftment of the planet.

You should really read books other than the bible if you really want to know more of the story. The Urantia book has a pretty good view (nonreligious) of the events from the onset of the universe up to Jesus' resurrection.

Old 10-28-2009, 08:46 AM

9,986 posts, read 18,668,382 times
My thoughts on the Bible is , either it means what it says or it is just a story. I don't think there should be any interpretations, either it is or it isn't. Seems some twist or believe what they want to believe when it comes to the bible either to justify their beliefs or to justify the actions in the bible. God is suppose to be perfect as should the Bible if it is his words. And we know the Bible is not perfect. It is just a collection of stories that had been told centuries before by others.

Old 10-28-2009, 09:17 AM

2,958 posts, read 2,560,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
My thoughts on the Bible is , either it means what it says or it is just a story. I don't think there should be any interpretations, either it is or it isn't. Seems some twist or believe what they want to believe when it comes to the bible either to justify their beliefs or to justify the actions in the bible. God is suppose to be perfect as should the Bible if it is his words. And we know the Bible is not perfect. It is just a collection of stories that had been told centuries before by others.
Guess what it says in the last few verses at the end of Revelations? It says the book is of no private interpretation and states that anyone who adds to or takes away from it is in deep dooky.

Anyone who believes it is in deep dooky already. Nobody can live up to the life which is outlined and described in that foolishness. In Matthew 48 I think it is there is a couple of verses which tells any Christian to be perfect.

'Course they gonna' tell us that all they have to do to be perfect is ask forgiveness for their sins and they're always forgiven...all except blasphemy.

Old 10-28-2009, 10:37 AM

4,085 posts, read 8,786,263 times
Quote:
"Now can you see how theism includes deism? Or do I need to spell that out for you? What kind of schools do they have out there in hillbilly land anyway??"

Now I can half way see how you brainwashed folks tell your tales.

Anybody who believes that the "God of Nature" which is the one referred to in our declaration of independence, and the virgin birth, miracles out the kazoo and resurrected spirit god is in any way part of the same camp is one of those referred to when P. T. Barnum said, "There's A Sucker Born Every Minute!"
Now I can see just how little of an education you do have. I guess I'll have to explain it to you...

"Theism" includes all belief sets which proclaim a belief in a God or gods.

"Deism" is a belief in a God.

Therefore, "Deism" is a subset of "Theism".

Whether the God of Deism is the same as the God of other Theist belief sets or not has no bearing whatsoever on the plain and simple fact that Deism is Theism. Just as a Hindu and a Jew are both Theists, despite the fact that their gods are different from each other, so too are Deists and Christians also both Theists, despite the fact their gods are different from each other.

Furthermore, if you study Deism, you will learn that most Deists do in fact believe that their "God of Nature" is indeed the same "God" that Christians worship, as well as being the same "God" worshiped by Jews, Muslims, Hindus, pagans, etc. Christianity does not reciprocate this exactly, because Christians believe that they know more specifics about God than Deists. Still, Christians agree with Deists on the simple premise that God is real and exists, even if that is where their agreement with Deists stops.

The USA may not be a "Christian Nation"; I, and many Christians, understand and acknowledge this.

However, there is no mistake that the US was founded at least as a THEIST nation, appealing to the Deist understanding of God in order to include all theists, as well as the side effect of being inclusive of atheists.

Furthermore, while not being a Christian nation officially, the US was for most of its history a de facto Christian nation, and the influence of Christianity on the development of the US is unmistakable, for better or worse. Christianity remains the dominant religion in the US and is represented by the majority of Americans. That is why it is not outlandish that people consider the US a "Christian Nation", even though the US is actually NOT officially a Christian nation.

I get the feeling you live someplace where the majority of Christians are ignorant and uneducated because the majority of all people there are igorant and uneducated. It's not that they are Christians that makes them ignnorant or uneducated, it's a result of their living in a society where education is scarce. The atheists there are as ignorant and uneducated as the Christians and those of other beliefs as well.

People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

Old 10-28-2009, 11:00 AM

[quote=BergenCountyJohnny;11381871]Now I can see just how little of an education you do have. I guess I'll have to explain it to you...
quote]

Thanks...................NOT!

I'm looking out across my boat dock into the channel on Watts Bar Lake. I live in a 4br brick rancher on an acre and a half lot and have an excellent pension. I was the project manager in 1985 and worked with all disciplines of engineering and installed Oak Ridge's first supercomputer in the center where I was manager. I've been fishing, playing the piano and staying online for the last fifteen years.

I do OK without your condescending assertions and inuendos about your view of yourself being superior to others. It just ain't so!

THUMP THAT BIBLE THERE!!

Old 10-28-2009, 11:38 AM

4,085 posts, read 8,786,263 times
[quote=Melvin.George;11382227]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
Now I can see just how little of an education you do have. I guess I'll have to explain it to you...
quote]

Thanks...................NOT!

I'm looking out across my boat dock into the channel on Watts Bar Lake. I live in a 4br brick rancher on an acre and a half lot and have an excellent pension. I was the project manager in 1985 and worked with all disciplines of engineering and installed Oak Ridge's first supercomputer in the center where I was manager. I've been fishing, playing the piano and staying online for the last fifteen years.

I do OK without your condescending assertions and inuendos about your view of yourself being superior to others. It just ain't so!

THUMP THAT BIBLE THERE!!
What does living in a 4br brick rancher, looking out across a lake, or working on a supercomputer have to do with your education in philosophy and/or religion? Or history, for that matter?

I'm not superior to others; I'm just educated enough to understand terms like "deist" and "theist". I also know that where I live people are generally educated as opposed to where you live. I'm also astute enough to understand the difference between an ignorant Christian and an educated Christian.

I'm not thumping any Bible. That's another igorant remark from you, based on your myopic view of Christians which is rooted in your living amongst so many uneducated people (Christian and otherwise). I haven't even brought up the Bible, I've strictly been speaking of the terms "deist" and "theist", how you misused them, and how they play into the history of this nation.

But you go on thumping your chest. Just as ignorant Christians will thump their Bibles, so too will ignorant atheists/agnostics thump their chests and boast about superficial nonsense like "I got me a boat! I done gone fishing and been online fer FIFTEEN year! I gots me a fancy ol' ranch house an' I plays da piano! WHOOOO-EEEEEEE I is a educated MANIJER for one o' them thar SUPERCOMPUTERS!!!"

It's pretty sad that your myopia keeps you focused on the same hackneyed attack against Christians with no regard for reason, logic, or truth.

Old 10-28-2009, 11:48 AM

6,351 posts, read 9,977,087 times
Quote:
Primitive mankind did a very poor job of dealing with his new and developing imagination. You on the other hand appear to have mastered yours.
No, I just paid attention in Comparative Religion class.

Quote:
When the clan was totally ignorant of the universe, verification by mathmatics, microbiology, etc. and believed that the earth was flat and the universe revolved around it... they had an excuse for wandering around defecating on the ground, wiping on their hands and spreading all manner of disease and filfth. When they began to get sick and die they imagined that some entity which they were unable to see was punishing them for their SINS.
No, actually, plenty of ancient peoples had mathematics and medicine. The persians at the time of Zoroaster were very sophisticated, not to mention that plenty of religions (Wicca, Cao Dai, Bahai, Sihkism) all began in the modern age.

Quote:
Now the brainwashed intellectuals use their imagination to fill in the blanks.
So Joseph Campbell is a "brainwashed intellectual"?

Quote:
Why can't you prove any of that virgin birth, healing by touching, walking on water and resurrection? Not only that you folks are still trying to convince people there's an invisible judge in the sky who's just waiting for a chance to do a number on us.
Not literal, not literal and, again, not literal. I can and "need to" prove the virgin birth about as much as I can and "need to" prove that tabbies and Pittbulls fell from the sky last night to have a belief that it was, in fact, raining cats and dogs. It's called not being a literalists.

Quote:
I've read the bible...new testament no less than ten times. I have decided that there are three basic types who believe that stuff. The brainwashed, the ignorant, the despondent or all of the above.
"Believe" is a relative word.

Old 10-28-2009, 12:36 PM

[quote=BergenCountyJohnny;11382803]
Quote:

What does living in a 4br brick rancher, looking out across a lake, or working on a supercomputer have to do with your education in philosophy and/or religion? Or history, for that matter?

I'm not superior to others; I'm just educated enough to understand terms like "deist" and "theist". I also know that where I live people are generally educated as opposed to where you live. I'm also astute enough to understand the difference between an ignorant Christian and an educated Christian.

I'm not thumping any Bible. That's another igorant remark from you, based on your myopic view of Christians which is rooted in your living amongst so many uneducated people (Christian and otherwise). I haven't even brought up the Bible, I've strictly been speaking of the terms "deist" and "theist", how you misused them, and how they play into the history of this nation.

But you go on thumping your chest. Just as ignorant Christians will thump their Bibles, so too will ignorant atheists/agnostics thump their chests and boast about superficial nonsense like "I got me a boat! I done gone fishing and been online fer FIFTEEN year! I gots me a fancy ol' ranch house an' I plays da piano! WHOOOO-EEEEEEE I is a educated MANIJER for one o' them thar SUPERCOMPUTERS!!!"

It's pretty sad that your myopia keeps you focused on the same hackneyed attack against Christians with no regard for reason, logic, or truth.

I'm not ignorant about religion. The folks who believe 5000 men, not counting women and children who also ate till all were full...on nothing but two fish and five loaves then twelve baskets of leftovers were gathered are ignorant...real ignorant!

Mark Twain said, "We're All Ignorant, Just About Different Things!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality