Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 03:15 PM

4,792 posts, read 5,907,705 times

Advertisements

We are chips off the old block. We are equal in quality, but not quantity, because we are chips. God (or whatever we call the original cause/source,etc) is a creative, changing element. We have a certain amount of control, and we have intellect. We know very well what happens when we screw up. It's up to us to take care of our sandbox.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2009, 11:09 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,956,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
I mean if god, the creator, whatever, put so much time an energy in developing all the various creatures that inhabit the earth, all with their own specialized roles to play in keeping the entire plan moving along, you would think that folks who ascribe to this notion would be most upset about the destruction of bio-diversity, hence in an effort to protect god/the creators master plan (a great song (http://www.jazzsupreme.com/pharoah.sanders/creator.html - broken link) by the way) they would/should be the core of any environmental movement.

What say you?
Didn't want your thread to die so here's my take on GLOBAL WARMING...........First off, not sure why Christians should be the only ones concerned with God's Creation. Everyone and every country should be concerned and doing their part to take care of th Earth. I bring a Christian and the Christians that I call Christians do, do their part in taking care of the Earth.

I have always, been involved in taking care of animals, every since I can remember, I have been finding homes for strays, having animals spayed or neutered and finding them homes. I have donated my time and money to animal causes and issues.

When recycling became something we could do, I have done my part in recycling. I have a cleaning business, I even recycle my clients garbage, even when they throw all of their PLASTIC in the garbage. Just so you and others know, most of my clients are not Christians.

Quote:
There are many Christian organizations that help the earth, they just don't go around to seminars and other countries making millions of dollars like Al Gore and his cronies.

Christian organizations for the Environment .............Christianity and Ecology: Christians Unite to Save the Planet. Earth Day 2005 and Beyond. Evangelical Christians continue to be anxious about a tendency within the environmental movement to "worship Creation instead of the Creator," as well as what they see as a reliance upon the authority of science rather then scripture. Still, the new emphasis within evangelical communities is remarkable.

http://www.surfinthespirit.com/environment/christian-environmentalism.html

But a responsibility goes along with bearing the image of God. In its proper sense, man's rule and dominion over the earth is that of a steward or a caretaker, not a reckless exploiter. Man is not sovereign over the lower orders of creation. Ownership is in the hands of the Lord.

When Christ returns, His earth may well be handed back to Him rusted, corroded, polluted, and ugly. To what degree will you or I be held responsible?

One more but there are MANY others................Green Christian Network.................
“What exactly is a carbon footprint?” The answers I received were all so complex. I needed something in layman’s terms. I needed a simple answer to a very complex question – and I found one.
Put simply, a carbon footprint is the total amount of greenhouse gasses given off by one person, product, business, or event. In general when speaking of greenhouse gases people are referring to the equivalent of how many tons of carbon dioxide you put out.
Wonder if these people know what a CARBON FOOTPRINT is..............Where does this leave us, ranchers who have a permit with rights and responsibilities? Rainbow Gathering lacks one color — green — High Country News We expect the Rainbow group to live up to its reputation for thoroughly cleaning up after itself, filling in its latrines and fire pits, and hauling off trash. Unfortunately, no one can quickly restore the trampled meadows and streams, and the grazing animals, domestic and wild, who must depend on this area for fall feed, will not find the grass restored.
The First Amendment protects the right of all of us to gather, from the Jarbidge Shovel Brigade to the recent parades of immigrants in cities across the country. But what color is this Rainbow? Many hues, none of them green.

I Speak of Dreams: Rainbow Family a Public Nuisance

It is is nuisance to the locals, a burden to taxpayers, and a threat to the environment. Forest Service lands are not appropriate settings for temporary camps of 10,000 to 20,000 people. If they want to gather, do it at a fairground or some other urban setting with infrastructure. You think I'm being silly? If there are 15,000 people there, they are going to produce almost six tons of feces per day. No sewage disposals or portapotties--so it is all buried in slit toilets. Would you want to camp around there?

Yeah these sound like people concerned about our EARTH!!!!

I would rather listen too these people about the EARTH.............
Ice Age is Coming: Winners announced in 'The Sky's Not Falling' video-essay contest

Senate Report: Over 400 Prominent Scientists Disputed Man-Made Global Warming Claim in 2007.http://epw.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?FuseAction=Minority.SenateReportU.S

Quote:
Then these people making millions at your expense and the expense to children of the future in telling us how to live and then live like this.................
  1. John Travolta – Flies his jets and airliners every where he needs to go.
  2. Barbra Streisand – We hear tell she spends over $20,000 a year to keep her lawn looking nice and green..and that’s for one home
  3. Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie – Again with the hypocrisy. We know Brad’s into this whole green New Orleans thing, but do they never fly .
  4. Madonna - The material girl may claim she’s all about climate change and the environment but by employing private jets and spending over $100,000 on bottled water each year we think she’s full of crap.
  5. Katie Holmes & Tom Cruise- Jets around the world for shopping sprees and fashion...........The there's.............Gore isn't quite as GREEN as he leads the world to believe..................Gore isn't quite as green as he's led the world to believe - USATODAY.com

Old 11-06-2009, 11:29 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,091,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
Didn't want your thread to die so here's my take on GLOBAL WARMING...........First off, not sure why Christians should be the only ones concerned with God's Creation.
Once again, the thread isn't directed towards "Christians" just those Christians who ascribe to intelligent design. As for environmentalist who don't practice as they preach, I think that would be a more appropriate discussion for another folder other than the Religion and Philosophy section.

Old 11-06-2009, 11:48 AM

4,348 posts, read 7,361,253 times
I think we all should be rabid environmentalist. The planet is home for all of us and like it or not we all share the responsibility to take care of what we have. Seems some are better at it than others, but I am sure as the tides starts to rise the rest will get on the band wagon too. I wonder how New York will look with gondolas going down Wall Street?

Old 11-06-2009, 09:34 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,956,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
they would/should be the core of any environmental movement.
This is a thread that you just wanted syrupy talk, but NO DEBATE, just looking to trash Christians. You should have taken this to the Christian forum if you were looking for NO DEBATE.

The only environmental movement we have going on right now is the liberals and the ill-informed preaching "GLOBAL WARMING"how do you think the GREEN MOVEMENT got started???

I gave you plenty of evidence of why Christians believe and take care of God's Earth. The last I checked, it is Christians who believe in intellgent design right???

Ah, whatever............this thread was not intended for discussion, it's yours!!!!

Old 11-09-2009, 06:59 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,091,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
This is a thread that you just wanted syrupy talk, but NO DEBATE, just looking to trash Christians. You should have taken this to the Christian forum if you were looking for NO DEBATE.
The object isn't to debate any topic. The idea is to debate THE topic!

The thread wasn't entitled "Shouldn't Christians Be Rabid Environmentalist?"

Why?

Because many are.

The question is specifically, why aren't believers in intelligent design more involved in the forefront of the environmental movement?

Quote:
The last I checked, it is Christians who believe in intellgent design right???
Is it your argument that all Christians ascribe to intelligent design? I find that hard to believe mainly because I know for a fact that all Christians do not. In fact I am not sure that even a majority of Christians believe in intelligent design.

Quote:
Ah, whatever............this thread was not intended for discussion, it's yours!!!!
It was very much intended for discussion, it is just unfortunate that those who defend/promote intelligent design have chosen not to address the question which by the way, really isn't about environmentalism or any particular environmental movement but rather the logical progression of thought that should spring out of an adherence to a belief that every plant and animal that inhabits the earth was placed here for a specific purpose. Because, if we assume that to be the case then we would be able to logically assume that it is man's responsibility to protect all of those life forms from man's malicious deprecations, those outside of man's need to cloth and nourish him or herself (assuming that certain life forms were placed on the planet for that expressed purpose).

Which raises another idea for a thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality