Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 04:55 AM

2,339 posts, read 4,400,101 times

Advertisements

I only used that as an example for someone doing something violent in the name of "Christianity". I am actually not a big supporter of abortion...I'd never agree that is should be illegal though.

Yes my example are from the OT. So what. Your god NEVER changes right? Those killings were inspired by your god! His word=his laws....It was supposed to have been this god that set up the whole legal system in the OT. So I stand by my statement about the Bible devaluing human life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2009, 07:46 AM

7,628 posts, read 10,967,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniMae1 View Post
I only used that as an example for someone doing something violent in the name of "Christianity". I am actually not a big supporter of abortion...I'd never agree that is should be illegal though.

Yes my example are from the OT. So what. Your god NEVER changes right? Those killings were inspired by your god! His word=his laws....It was supposed to have been this god that set up the whole legal system in the OT. So I stand by my statement about the Bible devaluing human life.
Each law was given to protect human life. And if we were to consider each one of those laws as stated in the orginal Text. That understanding, would become obvious.
And your opinion on abortion, is much like the opinion of people who did not support slavery back in the 1800s. Yet they would say back then.
"I am personally against slavery, yet, I feel it is not my right to tell a slave owner how he should treat his slaves". If we had accepted such weak opinions back then, we would still have slavery today. And it is because of such weak opinions on abortion, we still have the death mills killing children today.

Last edited by Campbell34; 11-03-2009 at 07:59 AM..

Old 11-03-2009, 07:49 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,679,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell34 View Post
Maybe someday you will see all those little babies they toss in dumpsters with their little arms and legs sticking out, and their faces smashed in. Then come back and tell me how unreasonable I am. I'm sure the German people felt the same way about Hitlers death camps. When it's not your pound of flesh on the line, we can be so philosophical.
This isn't an abortion thread you nitwit. If you want to rant about women's rights, then do it in another thread. DaniMae's point is that people like you have zero comprehension about what and who atheists really are and how we think and that you and those like you just bleat out any piece of rotten, misleading, accusatory misinformation about us because you do not understand us, and ultimately you fear us.

Old 11-03-2009, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
This isn't an abortion thread you nitwit. If you want to rant about women's rights, then do it in another thread. DaniMae's point is that people like you have zero comprehension about what and who atheists really are and how we think and that you and those like you just bleat out any piece of rotten, misleading, accusatory misinformation about us because you do not understand us, and ultimately you fear us.
The fact is, the Bible speaks of abortion and it's evil. And from that prespective. The Bible does not devalue human life, but protects it. And the Bible makes every effort to reach out to you, because the God that authored the Bible, also values your life. Everything about the Bible, is about giving us an abundant life. Even in recent times, an atheists wrote a paper stating why Africa needed the Christian faith, which of course, is based on the Bible. And this atheists stated that wherever the Gospel was preached in Africa, he himself could see the dramatic change in the lives of Africans who embraced it's teachings. He said other parts of Africa were in darkness, yet, where there was a strong Christian influence, there was a new confidence of hope found in the people. And this was from an atheist. And here again is another example that refutes the belief that the Bible devalues human life. Bible believers for hundreds of years have given their money, and their lives to go to the down and outs, looking for such people at the very ends of the earth. Both hospitals and schools, and projects to numerous to mention built to help such people. And Bible believers have done this, because the Author of the Bible, has commanded us to do so.

Last edited by Campbell34; 11-03-2009 at 11:43 AM..

Old 11-03-2009, 11:29 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,679,063 times
Quote:
The fact is, the Bible speaks of abortion and it's evil. And from that prespective. The Bible does not devalue human life, but protects it. And the Bible makes every effort to reach out to you, because the God that authored the Bible, also values your life.
I repeat: this is not an abortion thread. If you want to discuss that, go start your own topic. This thread is about how your bible has thousands of instances of cruelty, murder, rape, incest, et cetera listed in its pages, and how that is perceived by the rest of us as being contradictory to all your claims of it being the divine word of a holy, gentle, loving god.

Old 11-03-2009, 11:33 PM

Quote:
I repeat: this is not an abortion thread. If you want to discuss that, go start your own topic. This thread is about how your bible has thousands of instances of cruelty, murder, rape, incest, et cetera listed in its pages, and how that is perceived by the rest of us as being contradictory to all your claims of it being the divine word of a holy, gentle, loving god.
And I will repeat, the topic asks the question. Does the Bible devalue human life? I have clearly pointed out the fact, that the Bible defends human life. And I have also stated, that those who point out such Biblical cruelty, usually do this, with little understanding of the bigger picture.
God is a loving God to those who love Him, to those who rebel against Him, He is not. You clearly have a misconception of the Biblical God.

Old 11-03-2009, 11:46 PM

33,524 posts, read 37,121,123 times
Quote:
And I will repeat, the topic asks the question. Does the Bible devalue human life? I have clearly pointed out the fact, that the Bible defends human life. And I have also stated, that those who point out such Biblical cruelty, usually do this, with little understanding of the bigger picture.
God is a loving God to those who love Him, to those who rebel against Him, He is not. You clearly have a misconception of the Biblical God.
You claim to know the bible, then make a statement like that...The bible is one of the goriest bloodiest books on the planet. It places no value at all on human life. How many deaths, rapes and atrocities are in that horrible book? The act of murder is rampant in the Bible. In much of the Bible, especially the Old Testament, there are laws that command that people be killed for absurd reasons such as working on the Sabbath, being gay, cursing your parents, or not being a virgin on your wedding night.

In addition to these crazy and immoral laws, there are plenty of examples of God's irrationality by his direct killing of many people for reasons that defy any rational explanation such as killing children who make fun of bald people. There are also countless examples of mass murders commanded by God, including the murder of women, infants, and children.
Then to top it all is the genocide of every human on the planet except eight....

All I can say is that I'm glad none of it is true, but what I cannot understand is why anyone in their right mind would defend that book, or a god such as the one described in the bible....

Old 11-03-2009, 11:51 PM

63,779 posts, read 40,038,426 times
Quote:
Ahem . . . Uhh . . . Luke 6:32

For if ye love them which love you, what thank have ye? for sinners also love those that love them.

Luke 6:35

But love your enemies, and do good, and lend, not hoping for any return, and your reward shall be great, and you shall be children of the Most High, for He is kind towards the ungrateful and evil. Be merciful therefore, even as your Father is merciful.

WHO has a misconception of God???

Old 11-04-2009, 02:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Ahem . . . Uhh . . . Luke 6:32

For if ye love them which love you, what thank have ye? for sinners also love those that love them.

Luke 6:35

But love your enemies, and do good, and lend, not hoping for any return, and your reward shall be great, and you shall be children of the Most High, for He is kind towards the ungrateful and evil. Be merciful therefore, even as your Father is merciful.

WHO has a misconception of God???
Yes, God did tell us to love our enemies, that is correct. However, God gives us the reason for that.

Romans 12:19 Don't take revenge dear friends. Instead, (LET GOD'S ANGER TAKE CARE OF IT.) After all, Scripture says, "I alone have the right to take revenge. I will pay back, says the Lord."

And how will God pay back?

Revelation 20:15 And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.

I have no misconception of God. And the God of the Bible clearly tells us, that most people will be tossed into the lake of fire, because of their open rebellion against God. The Bible does not devalue human life, humans do.

Last edited by Campbell34; 11-04-2009 at 02:13 AM..

Old 11-04-2009, 04:19 AM

2,958 posts, read 2,559,309 times
Quote:
Atheists could very well be said to place a higher value on life than believers do, simply because we know this is the ONLY life we get. We don't get an afterlife, and thus we have to be the very best we can be with just this one alone.

To me, that makes life so much more precious than any life in which one would get a mulligan.
The mulligan is and has never been any more than wishful thinking. A crew of primitive men who waited 45 years to write of virgin birth, healing by touching, walking on water, resurrection etc. Very unlikely scenario. Give me the things I can see and touch...if only for a few decades. About the right and wrong thing...I'll play it by ear. That's what the Christians end up doing themselves.

Look at Christians in this country. They live a life filled with comfort and convenience, attend church for an hour or two a week, drop off a few coins and feel good about doing it. I don't see any kind of sacrifice from any of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality