Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2009, 03:24 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,865,041 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
I am not at all sure about the New Living translation.
It is the Jehovah's Witness version of the Bible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2009, 09:46 PM

7,628 posts, read 10,973,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
It is the Jehovah's Witness version of the Bible.
No Rafius, the Jehovah's Witness version of the Bible, IS THE NEW WORLD TRANSLATION.

The NEW LIVING TRANSLATION, is a Christian Translation.

Old 11-21-2009, 10:32 PM

Quote:
It's coming down to this.

Is the Ezekiel description applicable to at and 2nd temples or is it symbolic? Yes, it fits.

Does the closed gate never used again fit the sanctuary gate or the outer gate? It fits the Teple gate, both in description (using the translation fitting the hebrew) and in ritual use.

Do we need to adduce any other explanation than Ezekiel descrobing what he knew of the destroyed Temple which plan and procedures were followed in Herod's 2nd temple. no, we don't. Occam's razor means that there is no cause to suggest anything more unless we are searching around for prophecies.

The oter gate, herod's destroyed Solomon's porch and the present blocked golden gate were bothe used as public throroughfares in their time. They can't practiaclly have been ever after closed and at best it becomes a sort of symbolic reference to the later blocking if the gate. As I said, it moves from a lock -down description to really rather symbolic.

Both Gates (WERE USED), and so it should be. Yet only one Gate, was in existance when the Lord passed by, and that was the Herodian Gate. And I will remind you again. That Gate was never destroyed. It was buried. And that Gate, is now the foundation of the newer Porch Gate. And Scripture tells us, when the Prince returns, He will enter the Porch Gate. And it is obvious, it is the Porch Gate that would be sealed up.

Search around for prophecies?
Christ tells us, to seek out the deeper truths found in the Scriptures, and not to ignore what is written within it pages. And those who inbrace untruths, will never see what is real. And that is because they spend their whole life trying to disprove, or ignore, what is obviously true. And maybe, that is the reason you keep saying Herod's destroyed Porch Gate. Herod's Gate still exist, and Herod's Gate was the one the Lord passed by. And Herod's Gate, is now the foundation of the new Porch Gate. And that is the truth.

Pictured below, you can view the still existing arch of the Herodian Gate. You can see it on page 6 of the link below.
The Third TEMPLE Entrance In Alignment With The East Gate (http://www.excel.net/~hoy/eastgate.html - broken link)

Old 11-21-2009, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell34 View Post
No Rafius, the Jehovah's Witness version of the Bible, IS THE NEW WORLD TRANSLATION.

The NEW LIVING TRANSLATION, is a Christian Translation.
Thanks. I stand corrected.

Old 11-22-2009, 10:32 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,738,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell34 View Post
Both Gates (WERE USED), and so it should be. Yet only one Gate, was in existance when the Lord passed by, and that was the Herodian Gate. And I will remind you again. That Gate was never destroyed. It was buried. And that Gate, is now the foundation of the newer Porch Gate. And Scripture tells us, when the Prince returns, He will enter the Porch Gate. And it is obvious, it is the Porch Gate that would be sealed up.

Search around for prophecies?
Christ tells us, to seek out the deeper truths found in the Scriptures, and not to ignore what is written within it pages. And those who inbrace untruths, will never see what is real. And that is because they spend their whole life trying to disprove, or ignore, what is obviously true. And maybe, that is the reason you keep saying Herod's destroyed Porch Gate. Herod's Gate still exist, and Herod's Gate was the one the Lord passed by. And Herod's Gate, is now the foundation of the new Porch Gate. And that is the truth.

Pictured below, you can view the still existing arch of the Herodian Gate. You can see it on page 6 of the link below.
The Third TEMPLE Entrance In Alignment With The East Gate (http://www.excel.net/~hoy/eastgate.html - broken link)
Yes, I saw that the first time we looked at this. I note the suggestion that the supposed gate (it might be a supporting arch for all we know) is the Shusan gate.

With Herod's abominable Greco-Roman refurbishing of the Second Temple and precinct areas there was a series of five Gates (at different levels) that ran in a straight line from the East (Shushan) Gate to the entrance of the Temple! These gates were called as follows; "the Eastern Gate, the gate of Chayl, the gate of the Women's Courtyard, the gate of Nicanor and the gate of the entrance hall. So if the temple was built on flat ground, one would have been able to see through all the gates at once".[Mishneh Torah, Commentary Halachah 5 & 6]

As I said earlier,the present blocked Golden Gate is not and cannot be any gate extant in Ezekiel's time. This, and other east Gate prophecy sites do not seem to be clear about whether Herod built a East outer gate or not. If not the Herodian temple must have incorporated a undestroyed East outer gate. Whch seems impossible, since Babylon would surely destroy all the city wall, of which the east gate was part. However, as I say, this site of your makes it clear the present blocked gate was bult a lot later so the East Gate prophecy is a little remote.

However, it is not the real point which is that, rebult, or buried, it is not the closed east gate. It may be in line with it - of course, all the east gates were, but it is not the Sanctuary gate.

"the Eastern Gate, the gate of Chayl, the gate of the Women's Courtyard, the gate of Nicanor and the gate of the entrance hall.
Underlining mine. That is (I think) the Porch gate, the outer gate of the sanctuary and the one by which god (in Ezekiel) entered his 'House' and which was closed. As I say, the golden gate wasn't closed to anyone until the Ummayads blocked it up.

I have asked a couple of Rabbis about whether they would agree with this idea that the gate has to remain bricked up until the messiah comes. That unconfirmed commando story about blowing a hole in the Golden gate in order to catch some bods - it sounds very odd to me. I'll get back to you.

However, posting just more links to sites like this does not address the point I'm making. I'm finding trouble in locating a site which does.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 11-22-2009 at 10:47 AM..

Old 11-22-2009, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Thanks. I stand corrected.
According to Wiki this is a version that has been discussed by scholars and should be, despite being presented in colloquial english, accurate as regards the original.

However, it is alarming that it, of all the versions, it seems to rewrite the reference to the outer gate facing east to change it to the east gate of the outer wall, which may fit Christian prophecy but does not look like it fits the Bible text.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 11-22-2009 at 10:50 AM..

Old 11-22-2009, 11:53 AM

Makes you wonder what else they've changed so that it fits their nonsense.

Old 11-22-2009, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Makes you wonder what else they've changed so that it fits their nonsense.
It did make me wonder. I vaguely thought of checking the translation against Strong's concordances but that's a huge job. Maybe I'll look at a few OT quotes that notoriously get altered in the NT and see whether they've been correctly translated or not.

The Rabbis don't seem to have been falling over themselves to respond to my query. Nor can I trace that story about Jewish commandos refusing to knock a hole in the Golden gate because of messianic prophecy. I may be left with just agreeing to disagree with Campbell here.

Old 11-22-2009, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Yes, I saw that the first time we looked at this. I note the suggestion that the supposed gate (it might be a supporting arch for all we know) is the Shusan gate.

With Herod's abominable Greco-Roman refurbishing of the Second Temple and precinct areas there was a series of five Gates (at different levels) that ran in a straight line from the East (Shushan) Gate to the entrance of the Temple! These gates were called as follows; "the Eastern Gate, the gate of Chayl, the gate of the Women's Courtyard, the gate of Nicanor and the gate of the entrance hall. So if the temple was built on flat ground, one would have been able to see through all the gates at once".[Mishneh Torah, Commentary Halachah 5 & 6]

As I said earlier,the present blocked Golden Gate is not and cannot be any gate extant in Ezekiel's time. This, and other east Gate prophecy sites do not seem to be clear about whether Herod built a East outer gate or not. If not the Herodian temple must have incorporated a undestroyed East outer gate. Whch seems impossible, since Babylon would surely destroy all the city wall, of which the east gate was part. However, as I say, this site of your makes it clear the present blocked gate was bult a lot later so the East Gate prophecy is a little remote.

However, it is not the real point which is that, rebult, or buried, it is not the closed east gate. It may be in line with it - of course, all the east gates were, but it is not the Sanctuary gate.

"the Eastern Gate, the gate of Chayl, the gate of the Women's Courtyard, the gate of Nicanor and the gate of the entrance hall.
Underlining mine. That is (I think) the Porch gate, the outer gate of the sanctuary and the one by which god (in Ezekiel) entered his 'House' and which was closed. As I say, the golden gate wasn't closed to anyone until the Ummayads blocked it up.

I have asked a couple of Rabbis about whether they would agree with this idea that the gate has to remain bricked up until the messiah comes. That unconfirmed commando story about blowing a hole in the Golden gate in order to catch some bods - it sounds very odd to me. I'll get back to you.

However, posting just more links to sites like this does not address the point I'm making. I'm finding trouble in locating a site which does.
The Gate Ezekiel saw did not have to exist in His time. He only saw this Gate in a vision. And that Gate did not have to be closed in Ezekiels time either. And Scripture tells us, it was located by the outer wall of the Temple area. I might added here, who actually built the Gate is of little importance, because the Gate in question is not determined by who made it. The prophecy tells us, the Gate will remain shut, (BECAUSE THE GOD OF ISRAEL ENTERED HERE). So your question should be. Who was considered to be the historical God of Israel? And at what point in history did He enter such a Gate? Also, the prophecy clearly tells us, that the Prince to come would enter by (THE PORCH OF THAT GATE). Another words, it's obvious, we are speaking about two Gates here. And in order for the second Gate to be considered the Porch Gate, it would have to remain physically attached to the first Gate. And for this prophecy to be fulfilled, these two Gates, would have to remain this way until the end of time.

Last edited by Campbell34; 11-22-2009 at 11:23 PM..

Old 11-22-2009, 11:01 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,449,435 times
KJV matthew 10:36
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality