Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2009, 11:58 AM

7,628 posts, read 10,973,476 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
The city of Tyre is on the island. It has always been on the island. What was on the mainland was a residential suburb. That suburb didn't have any walls, gates or tower to break down. That is why the residents made a run for the island city, which did have the walls, gates and towers described.

Read the prophecy again. The island city had all the structures (gates, towers, walls) that Nebby was supposed to destroy. The residential suburb had none of those thing.

The "many nations" has been explained to you enough times.

...because Nebuchadnezzar is the king named in the prophecy. There are no others named. If it was meant to be other kings, what is the point of mentioning only Nebby? Why not just leave it at "many nations"?

That wasn't what the prophecy said he would do. The prophecy said that he would "direct the shock of his battering rams against your walls(no defensive walls in the residential suburb of Tyre) and break down your towers with his axes. (no towers in the residential suburb of Tyre) His horses shall be so many that their dust shall cover you. At the noise of cavalry, wheels, and chariots your very walls shall shake, (no walls) when he enters your gates like those entering a breached city (no gates). With the hoofs of his horses he shall trample all your streets. He shall put your people to the sword, and your strong pillars shall fall to the ground."

The city of Tyre is on the Island? It has always been on an Island?

Britannica Online Encyclopedia
The city of Tyre is built on an island (AND ON THE NEIGHBOURING MAINLAND).

Wikipedia Tyre, the largest and most important city-state of Phoenicia, was located (BOTH ON THE MEDITERRANEAN COAST AS WELL AS A NEARBY ISLAND.)

The island city had all the structures (gates, towers, walls) that Nebby was suppose to destroy? The residental suburb had none of these things?

Tyre consisted of two distinct parts, a rock fortress on the mainland called "Old Tyer" and a city, that was built on a small rock island. The coastal line of suburbs (WERE STRONGLY FORTIFIED BY MASSIVE WALLS AND TOWERS.)

http://sites.google.com/site/blakegiunta/tyreprophecy

When the facts are known, your entire arguement falls apart. Also you forgot to mention that when Nebuchadnezzar's army took mainland Tyre, they also captured the royal family, and thier king and deported them to Babylon. From this time on, Tyre began it's decline.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2009, 09:11 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,865,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell34 View Post
Wikipedia Tyre, the largest and most important city-state of Phoenicia, was located (BOTH ON THE MEDITERRANEAN COAST AS WELL AS A NEARBY ISLAND.)
Except that's not actually what Wiki says is it Campbell? What Wiki actually says is this:

"The location of the city of Tyre is not in doubt, for it exists to this day on the same spot and is known as Sur... The character of the city has changed, however. In ancient times it was situated on an island, but from the time of Alexander the Great... the city has been linked to the mainland by a dyke."

"Tyre originally consisted of two distinct urban centers, Tyre itself, which was on an island just off shore, and an associated settlement on the adjacent mainland. Alexander the Great connected the island to the mainland coast by constructing a causeway during his siege of the city.

The original island city had two harbors, one on the south side and the other on the north side of the island. It was these two harbors that enabled Tyre to gain the maritime prominence that it did; the harbor on the north side of the island was, in fact, one of the best harbors on the eastern end of the Mediterranean. The harbor on the south side has silted over, but the harbor on the north side (see Tyre harbor photo to the right) is still in use.

In ancient times, the island city of Tyre was heavily fortified (with defensive walls 150 feet high,[8]) and the mainland settlement, originally called Ushu (later, Palaetyrus, by the Greeks) was actually more like a line of suburbs than any one city and was used primarily as a source of water and timber for the main island city."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tyre,_Lebanon

Quote:
Tyre consisted of two distinct parts, a rock fortress on the mainland called "Old Tyer" and a city, that was built on a small rock island. The coastal line of suburbs (WERE STRONGLY FORTIFIED BY MASSIVE WALLS AND TOWERS.)

tyreprophecy (blakegiunta)
I'm not interested in Bible apologist sites that exist solely to 'Lie for Jesus'.

Quote:
When the facts are known, your entire arguement falls apart.
Rather Campbell, when the facts are know we see that both you (in deliberately misquoting what Wiki says about Tyre) and your linked apologist site have no compunction at all about lying for Jesus.

Last edited by Rafius; 12-20-2009 at 09:35 AM..

Old 12-20-2009, 09:34 AM

"Tyre: This phoenician city survived a 13-year siege by Nebuchadnezzar but fell before the military ingenuity of Alexander the Great who literally bridged the gap between the fortified island city and its mainland sector. By building a causeway, Alexander was able to forward his siege machines and bring the city to its knees."
Profile of Lebanon: History

"Phoenician Tyre was Queen of the Seas, an island city of unprecedented splendor."
Tyre, Lebanon

Old 12-20-2009, 03:49 PM

Quote:
"Tyre: This phoenician city survived a 13-year siege by Nebuchadnezzar but fell before the military ingenuity of Alexander the Great who literally bridged the gap between the fortified island city and its mainland sector. By building a causeway, Alexander was able to forward his siege machines and bring the city to its knees."

"Phoenician Tyre was Queen of the Seas, an island city of unprecedented splendor."
Tyre, Lebanon
See also:

Tyre (Sour).
About 83km south of Beirut, Tyre is the fourth largest city in Lebanon. It was an island in ages past, celebrated for it's beauty.
Tyre (Sour) City, Lebanon

Old 12-20-2009, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Except that's not actually what Wiki says is it Campbell? What Wiki actually says is this:

"The location of the city of Tyre is not in doubt, for it exists to this day on the same spot and is known as Sur... The character of the city has changed, however. In ancient times it was situated on an island, but from the time of Alexander the Great... the city has been linked to the mainland by a dyke."

"Tyre originally consisted of two distinct urban centers, Tyre itself, which was on an island just off shore, and an associated settlement on the adjacent mainland. Alexander the Great connected the island to the mainland coast by constructing a causeway during his siege of the city.

The original island city had two harbors, one on the south side and the other on the north side of the island. It was these two harbors that enabled Tyre to gain the maritime prominence that it did; the harbor on the north side of the island was, in fact, one of the best harbors on the eastern end of the Mediterranean. The harbor on the south side has silted over, but the harbor on the north side (see Tyre harbor photo to the right) is still in use.

In ancient times, the island city of Tyre was heavily fortified (with defensive walls 150 feet high,[8]) and the mainland settlement, originally called Ushu (later, Palaetyrus, by the Greeks) was actually more like a line of suburbs than any one city and was used primarily as a source of water and timber for the main island city."
Tyre, Lebanon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'm not interested in Bible apologist sites that exist solely to 'Lie for Jesus'.

Rather Campbell, when the facts are know we see that both you (in deliberately misquoting what Wiki says about Tyre) and your linked apologist site have no compunction at all about lying for Jesus.

Well I guess you have to ask yourself, which link do you believe is considered more scholarly? Wikipedia, or Britannica?
Because Britannica states. The city of Tyre was built on an island (AND) on the neighbouring mainland.

As the link below will reveal to you. Wikipedia's contributors and editors are under the age of 25. Many are teenagers. And teenagers can't tell hype from fact. I would suggest you consider a more scholarly encyclopedia, before you imbrace what you believe are facts found in Wikipedia. And maybe your not intrested in apologist sites, but I think to get to the truth on Tyre, you need to be looking at an encyclopedia that was not written by a teenager.

The Six Sins of the Wikipedia

AND YOU WERE WRONG AGAIN WHEN YOU SUGGESTED I WAS LYING FOR JESUS.

Found on the link below, from (WIKIPEDIA) you will find this statement under location. Page 1.

Tyre, the largest and most important city-state of Phoenicia, (WAS LOCATED BOTH ON THE MEDITERRANEAN COAST AS WELL AS A NEARBY ISLAND). I guess when you read Wikipedia, it's content maybe different, depending on which kid wrote the article.LOL

Their link does not work, yet if you look up the Siege of Tyre found in Wikipedia, in their free encyclopedia. You will find the wording on page 1. and under the title Location at the very bottom of the page.

I typed into yahoo search. "Siege of Tyre Wikipedia" And the article came up at the top of the page.

Last edited by Campbell34; 12-20-2009 at 04:11 PM..

Old 12-20-2009, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Well I guess you have to ask yourself, which link do you believe is considered more scholarly? Wikipedia, or Britannica?
Because Britannica states. The city of Tyre was built on an island (AND) on the neighbouring mainland.
(my highlights) More lying for Jesus Campbell? What Britannica actually says is:

"Tyre, built on an island and on the neighbouring mainland,........"
Tyre (town and historical site, Lebanon) -- Britannica Online Encyclopedia

There is, in fact, no mention of the word "WAS" at all. You deliberately misquoted your source to support your claim. Shame on you! It is quite obvious that Britannica is referring to Tyre as is today, not as it was.

Quote:
I would suggest you consider a more scholarly encyclopedia, before you imbrace what you believe are facts found in Wikipedia. And maybe your not intrested in apologist sites, but I think to get to the truth on Tyre, you need to be looking at an encyclopedia that was not written by a teenager.
So speaks the man that, a few posts ago referenced Wiki to support his claim. You really are a piece of work man!

I have also given you:
http://www.lebanonembassy.net/travel...tion/attra.htm
http://www.atlastours.net/lebanon/tyre.html
http://tyros.leb.net/tyre/

All the above links say that the city of Tyre was on the island. Please note that one of the links is from the Embassy of Lebanon. They might be pretty clued up on Tyre don't you think?

Quote:
AND YOU WERE WRONG AGAIN WHEN YOU SUGGESTED I WAS LYING FOR JESUS.
The readers of this thread will make their own minds up about that. I have caught you red-handed, misquoting what is actually said in sites you are using to support your claim. That's 'lying' in my book.

Quote:
Found on the link below, from (WIKIPEDIA) you will find this statement under location. Page 1.

Tyre, the largest and most important city-state of Phoenicia, (WAS LOCATED BOTH ON THE MEDITERRANEAN COAST AS WELL AS A NEARBY ISLAND). I guess when you read Wikipedia, it's content maybe different, depending on which kid wrote the article.LOL
So which is it man. Wikipedia is a reliable source or it isn't? You claim it's not reliable yet you quote (and misquote) from it to support your claim.

Quote:
Their link does not work, yet if you look up the Siege of Tyre found in Wikipedia, in their free encyclopedia. You will find the wording on page 1. and under the title Location at the very bottom of the page.
...and it also says:

"The Macedonian army was unable to capture the city through conventional means because it was on an island and had walls right up to the sea."

...and:

"Alexander began with an engineering feat that shows the true extent of his brilliance; as he could not attack the city from the sea, he built a kilometer-long causeway stretching out to the island on a natural land bridge no more than two meters deep." (This would indicate to most people that the "city" he was attacking was on an island.)

Last edited by Rafius; 12-20-2009 at 05:01 PM..

Old 12-22-2009, 10:24 PM

Quote:
(my highlights) More lying for Jesus Campbell? What Britannica actually says is:

"Tyre, built on an island and on the neighbouring mainland,........"
Tyre (town and historical site, Lebanon) -- Britannica Online Encyclopedia

There is, in fact, no mention of the word "WAS" at all. You deliberately misquoted your source to support your claim. Shame on you! It is quite obvious that Britannica is referring to Tyre as is today, not as it was.

So speaks the man that, a few posts ago referenced Wiki to support his claim. You really are a piece of work man!

I have also given you:
Tyre, Lebanon
Tyre (Sour) City, Lebanon

All the above links say that the city of Tyre was on the island. Please note that one of the links is from the Embassy of Lebanon. They might be pretty clued up on Tyre don't you think?

The readers of this thread will make their own minds up about that. I have caught you red-handed, misquoting what is actually said in sites you are using to support your claim. That's 'lying' in my book.

So which is it man. Wikipedia is a reliable source or it isn't? You claim it's not reliable yet you quote (and misquote) from it to support your claim.

...and it also says:

"The Macedonian army was unable to capture the city through conventional means because it was on an island and had walls right up to the sea."

...and:

"Alexander began with an engineering feat that shows the true extent of his brilliance; as he could not attack the city from the sea, he built a kilometer-long causeway stretching out to the island on a natural land bridge no more than two meters deep." (This would indicate to most people that the "city" he was attacking was on an island.)

I used Wikipedia, because it agreed with Britannica. It appears you looked long enought in wikipedia for something that would disagree with Britannica. No doubt, that was written by one of Wikipedia's teenage authors. And as I have already pointed out to you, Wikipedia also tells you that Tyre was built on the mainland as well. Yet it should be obvious that Wikipedia has contradictory information.

And no, I did not deliberately insert the word (WAS,) as if I were trying to mislead you. And it you look at what Britannica actually states.
"Tyre, built on a Island (AND ON) the neighbouring mainland.) DO YOU JUST IGNORE THAY KIND OF INFORMATION?

Oh please, now you are substituting the scholarly work of Britannica, for Atlas Tours, Travel Lebanon, and someone named Joseph Eli? LOL Oh yes, when true scholarship does not agree with your worldview, use Atlas Tours. LOL.

And of course Nebuchadnezzar did not take all of Tyre, because the Bible tells you it would be (MANY NATIONS) that would accomplish this. And not just Nebuchadnezzar. And Tyre was not just built on an island, it was built on the mainland as well.

So who are you going to believe? (BRITANNICA), or (ATLAS TOURS)?

Old 12-23-2009, 09:18 AM

Quote:
And no, I did not deliberately insert the word (WAS,) as if I were trying to mislead you.
You inserted it when it wasn't there.

Quote:
And it you look at what Britannica actually states.
"Tyre, built on a Island (AND ON) the neighbouring mainland.) DO YOU JUST IGNORE THAY KIND OF INFORMATION?
That is correct. It doesn't not say "WAS" built.

Quote:
Oh please, now you are substituting the scholarly work of Britannica, for Atlas Tours, Travel Lebanon, and someone named Joseph Eli? LOL
So you consider Britannica a "scholarly work". That's good because so do I. Unfortunately, you can't get the full article without subscribing to Britannica with a credit card. No matter! As we both agree that an encyclopaedia is a scholarly work, let us look at what this scholarly encyclopaedia says:

TYRE

The most famous city of Phoenicia . It is now represented by the petty town of Sur built round the harbour at the north end of a peninsula, which till the time of Alexander's siege was an island, without water or vegetation . The mole which he constructed has been widened by deposits of sand, so that the ancient island is now connected with the mainland by a tongue of land a quarter of a mile broad . The greatest length of the former island, from north to south, is about m. and its area about 142 acres . The researches of Renan have refuted the once popular idea that a great part of the original island has disappeared by natural convulsions, though he believes that the remains of a submerged wall at the south end indicate that about 15 additional acres were once reclaimed and have been again lost .

On this narrow site Tyre was built; its 25,000 inhabitants were crowded into many-storeyed houses loftier than those of Rome; and yet place was found not only for the great temple of Melqarth with its courts, but for docks and warehouses, and for the purple factories, which in Roman times made the town an unpleasant place of residence. In the Roman period the population occupied a strip of the opposite mainland, including Palaetyrus. Pliny gives to the whole city, continental and insular, a compass of 19 Roman miles; but this account must be received with caution . In Strabo's time the island was still the city, and Palaetyrus on the mainland was distant 30 stadia; modern research, however, indicates an extensive line of suburbs rather than one mainland city that can be identified with Palaetyrus.

TYRE (Phoen. and Hebr.... - Online Information article about TYRE (Phoen. and Hebr....

Quote:
And of course Nebuchadnezzar did not take all of Tyre, because the Bible tells you it would be (MANY NATIONS) that would accomplish this.
Already covered.

Quote:
And Tyre was not just built on an island, it was built on the mainland as well.
Like it or not fella, the CITY of TYRE was on the island....on the mainland there was nothing more than a line of suburbs....as the above encyclopaedia points out.

Old 12-23-2009, 09:32 AM

Oh and Campbell, just for good measure, here is what W. R. F. BROWNING said about Tyre in his "A Dictionary of the Bible"

"Tyre An important city on an island off the Phoenician coast, often associated with Sidon."
Tyre - Biblical definition of Tyre | Encyclopedia.com: Dictionary of the Bible

Give it up mate! You're on a hiding to nothing.

Old 12-23-2009, 09:56 AM

9 posts, read 19,950 times
The Bible was re-written throughout the ages and does not contain the real message of salvation, which was lost as men created churches and rose to power in their own self-appointed domains.[/quote]

I see someone that understands greed in humans and what has happened.
The real message has been so twisted and watered down it is near impossible to see.
Seriously a crying shame.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality