Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2009, 04:15 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,659,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
"You know, I really can't get my head around you people. Just like Campbell, you take one small point that you think you can make a case against and ignore everything else. The site gave you numerous examples of why Daniel being written in the 6th century is suspect but you ignore them and just pick up on one item which you think you can dispute.
You called the instrument evidence and proof of something, but when I asked which instrument you are referring to, there was no answer, and still isn't.

Besides, you can't win, because even if Book of Daniel was written when you insist it was written, it still leaves the vast majority of his prophesies fulfilled. Most of his prophecies came to be after 165
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2009, 04:27 PM

33,555 posts, read 37,155,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell34 View Post
Well that is good sanspeur, yet that did not answer my orginal question. Was city of Tyre only to be found on an island, or was it also to be found on the mainland? The encyclopedia Britannica states it was both the mainland and on an island. If it was only on the Island. The prophecy about Tyre found in the Bible would be false. What do you believe?
The prophesy is false as the main part of the city was on the island, and after 13 years of effort ol' Nebby failed to take it. Tyre never was sacked, nor did it cease to exist....Biblical fail.

Regarding Daniel's prophesies...

The Failure of Daniel's Prophecies

Old 12-26-2009, 10:52 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,865,041 times
Quote:
Ok, can you post the scholarly journal that tell us that the city of Tyre from (it's beginnings,) was only to be found on an island?
You could go back and read post#180 to find a list of posts where I have given links to articles saying that the city of Tyre was on the island with a small residential suburb on the mainland. You could go back and read them all again or you can see some more here:

Tyre Facts, information, pictures | Encyclopedia.com articles about Tyre

Do please read the article from this encyclopaedia and note where it says such things as:

"It was built on an island just off the mainland, but the accumulation of sand around a mole built by Alexander the Great to facilitate his siege of the city (333-332 BC) has formed a causeway more than .5 mi (.8 km) wide."....and:

"The city was sacked by Alexander the Great but recovered quickly"

....and:

"The principal ruins of the city today are those of buildings erected by the Crusaders. There are some Greco-Roman remains, but any left by the Phoenicians lie underneath the present town. Tyre is mentioned frequently in the Bible."

So Campbell, we can see from the above that:
1. The city was on the island.
2. Neither Nebby or Alexander destroyed it to the extent that it would never be found again and.....
3. The claim that it would never be re-built is false because it WAS rebuilt and the remains of Tyre lie beneath the present city.

Quote:
Well that is good sanspeur, yet that did not answer my orginal question. Was city of Tyre only to be found on an island, or was it also to be found on the mainland?
Your attempts to squirm around the facts are pathetic. I and others have maintained throughout the discussion that the CITY was on the island with a residential SUBURB on the mainland. The prophecy, as you well know Campbell, refers to the fortress island city of Tyre.

Quote:
The encyclopedia Britannica states it was both the mainland and on an island.
Do you have the whole article from Britannica rather than just one paragraph?

Quote:
If it was only on the Island. The prophecy about Tyre found in the Bible would be false.
The prophecy is false because it refers to the fortress city that had the high walls and towers spoken of in the prophecy. So far, you have produced only one Bible apologist web-site that says there were high walls and towers defending the mainland suburb. History says that when Nebby attacked the mainland suburbs, the residents fled to the protection of the fortified island city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
You called the instrument evidence and proof of something.........,
...and off you go again, lying for Jesus. Please point out where I said the instrument was evidence. I said no such thing....it was stated as such in an article in an article that I did not write........and why do you you concentrate on this and ignore everything else in the article?

Quote:
.........but when I asked which instrument you are referring to, there was no answer, and still isn't.
....you mean like there is no answer from you regarding your "Indisputable scientific evidence".

Quote:
Besides, you can't win, because even if Book of Daniel was written when you insist it was written, it still leaves the vast majority of his prophesies fulfilled. Most of his prophecies came to be after 165.
....and which ones specifically would those be? Please, before you post them....read the link in post #212.

Old 12-26-2009, 11:03 PM

1,837 posts, read 4,150,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Mountain View Post
A Christian that makes sense
I like to see someone thinking for themselves and not blindly following company line..
Thanks SoCalAngel2009
White Mountain
...you mean someone that makes sense to you because he/she justifies your chose to not believe in the Word of God even if it says that the Word is inspired by God. And perhaps he/she makes sense to you because you do not want to chose to obey God.

Or in other words, you are the overseer and director of the church of White Mountain??? Just Curious.

Old 12-26-2009, 11:26 PM

Here you are Campbell. Since you appear to set your sights on Britannica. This is from the online Encyclopaedia Britannica. It is regarding Alexander the Great and his siege of Tyre. You may need to subscribe to it if you want to access it yourself.

Conquest of the Mediterranean coast and Egypt

From Issus Alexander marched south into Syria and Phoenicia, his object being to isolate the Persian fleet from its bases and so to destroy it as an effective fighting force. The Phoenician cities Marathus and Aradus came over quietly, and Parmenio was sent ahead to secure Damascus and its rich booty, including Darius’ war chest. In reply to a letter from Darius offering peace, Alexander replied arrogantly, recapitulating the historic wrongs of Greece and demanding unconditional surrender to himself as lord of Asia. After taking Byblos (modern Jubayl) and Sidon (Arabic Ṣaydā), he met with a check at Tyre, where he was refused entry into the island city. He thereupon prepared to use all methods of siegecraft to take it, but the Tyrians resisted, holding out for seven months. In the meantime (winter 333–332) the Persians had counterattacked by land in Asia Minor—where they were defeated by Antigonus, the satrap of Greater Phrygia—and by sea, recapturing a number of cities and islands.
Alexander the Great (king of Macedonia) :: Conquest of the Mediterranean coast and Egypt -- Britannica Online Encyclopedia

No matter how much you twist, squirm, wriggle and blather...the facts of history are that Tyre was a fortified island city with a small residential suburb on the mainland. Sorry to have to say this mate... but your continued refusal to accept the facts of history are making you look rather foolish.

Last edited by Rafius; 12-26-2009 at 11:37 PM..

Old 12-26-2009, 11:30 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,600,694 times
Isa 30:25 And there shall be upon every high mountain, and upon every high hill, rivers and streams of waters in the day of the great slaughter, when the towers fall.

Last edited by Ellis Bell; 12-26-2009 at 11:31 PM.. Reason: emphasis added

Old 12-26-2009, 11:55 PM

1,317 posts, read 2,056,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by actonbell View Post
Isa 30:25 And there shall be upon every high mountain, and upon every high hill, rivers and streams of waters in the day of the great slaughter, when the towers fall.
Aah a 9-11 prophesy made by a goatherder that never even knew the Americas existed.

PHAIL!

Oh BTW, Nostradamus can be applied here too...
"In the City of God there will be a great thunder, Two brothers torn apart by Chaos, while the fortress endures, the great leader will succumb",
The third big war will begin when the big city is burning" - Nostradamus 1654
I guess it just depends on which woo woo you choose to believe eh?

Old 12-27-2009, 01:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
...and off you go again, lying for Jesus. Please point out where I said the instrument was evidence. I said no such thing....it was stated as such in an article in an article that I did not write........
Lying? See your own words below. You are referring to the unnamed musical instrument and call it 'indisputable'

"The fact that the Book of Daniel contains references to things that just could not have been know IF it had been written in the 6th century is indisputable."

I called my linguistic and scientific evidence indisputable, anf then I added that even if we accepted your dates for the sake of the conversation, it would still leave most of Daniels prophecies fulfilled.

Old 12-27-2009, 02:12 AM

Quote:
Well that is good sanspeur, yet that did not answer my orginal question. Was city of Tyre only to be found on an island, or was it also to be found on the mainland? The encyclopedia Britannica states it was both the mainland and on an island. If it was only on the Island. The prophecy about Tyre found in the Bible would be false. What do you believe?
It was on both places. Babylonians sieged the mainland city for 13 years and finally took it, but the people had moved to the island part of the city, and the Babylonians didn't have ships to take the island. The first part of Ezikiel's prophecy about Tyre was about the mainland. He also mentioned that the rock and timber from the city will be thrown into the ocean, which is exactly what Alexander did, when he build his bridge to the island Tyre. He used the rock and timber from the mainland city to build it and the city was reduced to bare rock, and never again regained its previous form as a significant port city.

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 12-27-2009 at 02:23 AM..

Old 12-27-2009, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Lying? See your own words below. You are referring to the unnamed musical instrument and call it 'indisputable'
Nope! I was referring to all the things mentioned in that link I gave you.

Quote:
I called my linguistic and scientific evidence indisputable, anf then I added that even if we accepted your dates for the sake of the conversation, it would still leave most of Daniels prophecies fulfilled.
See link in post 212.

Last edited by Rafius; 12-27-2009 at 05:20 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality