Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2009, 05:18 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,867,056 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
It was on both places. Babylonians sieged the mainland city for 13 years and finally took it,......
Wrong again! Nebuchadnezzar took the mainland suburb without problems and then besieged the island city for 13 years. He failed to enter the city and left after a negotiated settlement with the inhabitants who agreed to swear allegiance. If you want more evidence that Nebby didn't take Tyre please consult your Bible where it will tell you that Nebuchadnezzar was promised Egypt as recompense for "getting nothing from Tyre". BTW, that 'Egypt' prophecy failed too.

Quote:
The first part of Ezikiel's prophecy about Tyre was about the mainland. He also mentioned that the rock and timber from the city will be thrown into the ocean, which is exactly what Alexander did, when he build his bridge to the island Tyre. He used the rock and timber from the mainland city to build it and the city was reduced to bare rock, and never again regained its previous form as a significant port city.
I see that you have conveniently omitted the part about it never being re-built and the part that says "though you be looked for, you will never be found."

The city exists today in the same place as it has always been. It is not scrapped to bare rock nor has it ever been. It is the second most populated city in Lebanon. .So much for your prophecy.

Last edited by Rafius; 12-27-2009 at 05:36 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2009, 05:53 AM

7,628 posts, read 10,974,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
The prophesy is false as the main part of the city was on the island, and after 13 years of effort ol' Nebby failed to take it. Tyre never was sacked, nor did it cease to exist....Biblical fail.

Regarding Daniel's prophesies...

The Failure of Daniel's Prophecies
So then, do you agree that the mainland was part of the city of Tyre?

(YES) or (NO)?

Old 12-27-2009, 07:10 AM

9,616 posts, read 12,923,337 times
Default Do NOT Try This At Home! For Professionals Only!

From sanspeur's enlightening link above, in cause you missed or feared it...

"Daniel's "predictions" of events up to the desecration of the Temple in 167 BC and the beginning of the Maccabean revolt substantially came true.

Yet its predictions of a new invasion of Egypt by Antiochus and the Resurrection of the Dead soon thereafter totally failed. The author correctly "predicted" the rise of Alexander the Great, and the history of the Seleucid and Ptolemaic kings, but he fared far worse in his predictions that God would supernaturally slay Antiochus Epiphanes, raise the dead, and inaugurate the messianic age in 163 BC.

The most likely explanation of this strange pattern is that these prophecies were first composed just before the time they started to fail by an author who had no genuine talent for predicting the future."

Evidence of actual prophesies coming true? Not so much. Anyone can get a few likely things right if they are clever observers of history and man's typical warlike, arrogant and greedy behavior, but to pick out a date and an unlikely event as "coming soon"? So far it ain't happened, folks!

But here goes: I predict ongoing and escalating strife in the Middle East, propagated by "The Dark Lords of another Religion!"

There. I also predict it will happen "in the first 2 decades of the new millenium", but only "after other men or women of power have tried to calm the troubled waters!" (which means any time in the next 12 years, BTW).

Where do I pick up my prize?

Old 12-27-2009, 07:17 AM

1,317 posts, read 2,056,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
Where do I pick up my prize?
Here's a noddy badge for U (you may need to research some brit culture to appreciate this

Old 12-27-2009, 07:50 AM

7,628 posts, read 10,974,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Wrong again! Nebuchadnezzar took the mainland suburb without problems and then besieged the island city for 13 years. He failed to enter the city and left after a negotiated settlement with the inhabitants who agreed to swear allegiance. If you want more evidence that Nebby didn't take Tyre please consult your Bible where it will tell you that Nebuchadnezzar was promised Egypt as recompense for "getting nothing from Tyre". BTW, that 'Egypt' prophecy failed too.

I see that you have conveniently omitted the part about it never being re-built and the part that says "though you be looked for, you will never be found."

The city exists today in the same place as it has always been. It is not scrapped to bare rock nor has it ever been. It is the second most populated city in Lebanon. .So much for your prophecy.

The city you see today, is not built on the site of ancient Tyre. In 1170 A.D. a Jewish traveller named Benjamin of Tudela wrote in his diary of his travels. And when he came to the city of Tyre he stated. "A man can ascend the walls of (NEW TYRE) and see (ANCIENT TYRE, WHICH THE SEA HAS NOW COVERED) laying at a stone's throw from the new city. And should one care to (GO FORTH BY BOAT), one can see the castles, market-places, streets, and palaces in the bed of the sea."

It took Nebuchadnezzar 13 years to secure mainland Tyre. And that mainland Tyre, which was called (a rocky fortress), is now underwater. So no, the city you see today, is not built on the same place as always. Also, the prophecy never stated that Nebuchadnezzar himself would attack the island city. And in fact it was the other nations that did that. And that is why the Bible stated, that (many nations) would go up against Tyre.

Old 12-27-2009, 08:49 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,867,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell34 View Post
The city you see today, is not built on the site of ancient Tyre. In 1170 A.D. a Jewish traveller named Benjamin of Tudela wrote in his diary of his travels. And when he came to the city of Tyre he stated. "A man can ascend the walls of (NEW TYRE) and see (ANCIENT TYRE, WHICH THE SEA HAS NOW COVERED) laying at a stone's throw from the new city. And should one care to (GO FORTH BY BOAT), one can see the castles, market-places, streets, and palaces in the bed of the sea."
Brilliant!! He dismisses links such as Atlas travel, various encyclopaedias, Lebanon Tourism, The Embassy of Lebanon etc ....and then quotes the words of "a Jewish traveller". Priceless!! Go read all the links again mate. Ancient Tyre lies BENEATH the modern city.

Quote:
It took Nebuchadnezzar 13 years to secure mainland Tyre.
WRONG! He laid siege to the island city for 13 years and failed to enter it.

"At this time, the main part of Tyre was an island city about a mile off the coast of what is now Lebanon. There were smaller villages on the mainland, but the city itself was an offshore seaport. Because of its location, it could be easily defended and could be re-supplied from the sea."

"We know from other historical records, including the Jewish historian Josephus Flavius, that Nebuchadnezzar did, indeed, take and destroy the mainland part of the city, and then lay siege to the island city of Tyre. However, the Babylonian army was a land based army with no ships, which made it very difficult to lay siege effectively to an island fortress that had an armada of ships at its disposal. Nebuchadnezzar spent 13 years in the siege of Tyre and was never able to take the city. He finally abandoned the attempt sometime in 573/572 and put his resources into the invasion of Egypt, having already destroyed the Israelite stronghold in Jerusalem."

.....and:

"29:17 In the twenty-seventh year, in the first month, on the first day of the month, the word of the LORD came to me: 29:18 "Son of man, Nebuchadrezzar king of Babylon made his army labor hard against Tyre; every head was made bald and every shoulder was rubbed bare; yet neither he nor his army got anything from Tyre to pay for the labor that he had performed against it. 29:19 Therefore thus says the Lord GOD: Behold, I will give the land of Egypt to Nebuchadrezzar king of Babylon; and he shall carry off its wealth and despoil it and plunder it; and it shall be the wages for his army. 29:20 I have given him the land of Egypt as his recompense for which he labored, because they worked for me, says the Lord GOD.

"Here, Ezekiel rather frankly acknowledges Nebuchadnezzar’s failure to take Tyre even though he labored hard trying to do so (13 years!). So Ezekiel, seemingly without any embarrassment at the failure of his original prophecy, simply changed it after the fact to fit the historical situation as it had actually unfolded."

Ezekiel and the Oracles against Tyre (http://www.crivoice.org/ezekieltyre.html - broken link)

You should pay attention to the Christian website above Campbell which looks at the Tyre prophecy. You should pay particular attention to the sentence that says:

"The problem is that very little of this actually came to pass! In fact, it badly missed how history actually unfolded."

The undisputed facts of history tell us that Nebby destroyed the mainland residential suburbs of Tyre then laid siege to the city proper on the island. He laid siege to it for 13 years and failed to break it.You can post your apologetic drivel until the cows come home Campbell but nothing, NOTHING you present will change what actually happened....sorry about that!

BTW old chap. From your beloved Encyclopaedia Britannica:

"For much of the 8th and 7th centuries bc the town was subject to Assyria, and in 585–573 it successfully withstood a prolonged siege by the Babylonian king Nebuchadrezzar II."

AND:

"Excavations have uncovered remains of the Greco-Roman, Crusader, Arab, and Byzantine civilizations, but most of the remains of the Phoenician period lie beneath the present town."
http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/611914/Tyre

So you see Campbell old boy. Nebby did NOT take the island city after a 13 year siege and ancient Tyre lies BENEATH the modern city.

I assume, now that the site you have been desperately citing and clinging to (Encyclopaedia Britannica) destroys your claim....it will now be dismissed as unworthy?

Last edited by Rafius; 12-27-2009 at 09:21 AM..

Old 12-27-2009, 10:56 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,668,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post

Tyre was attacked by many nations: fulfilled
Tyre was destroyed: fulfilled
Tyres population was slain: fulfilled
Tyre would never again be a powerful nation; fulfilled
Tyre building materials were thrown into the sea: fulfilled

Probability of all of them happening : 1 in 75 million.

The new Tyre was built on ruins of Greek, Crusader, Arab and Byzantine buildings, but not necessarily on the original site. There are other ancient cities in that area which are underwater, so it is possible ancient Tyre is also underwater. Not that it matters, because the word "never be found" means it will never be revived again as it was before, which is true since foreign powers took over and built their own structures on its place and the ancient city was gone forever. Alexander Great put an end to Phoenician Empire and they never recovered or rebuilt anything again. So, even that part of the prophecy was fulfilled.

Isn't it amazing how accurate the prophecy was?

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 12-27-2009 at 11:36 AM..

Old 12-27-2009, 11:13 AM

15,754 posts, read 7,602,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme58 View Post
Aah a 9-11 prophesy made by a goatherder that never even knew the Americas existed.

PHAIL!

Oh BTW, Nostradamus can be applied here too...
"In the City of God there will be a great thunder, Two brothers torn apart by Chaos, while the fortress endures, the great leader will succumb",
The third big war will begin when the big city is burning" - Nostradamus 1654
I guess it just depends on which woo woo you choose to believe eh?
Excuse me, I answered the OP's question. Which was, Bible prophecy from the Bible that has been fulfilled today. It asked to quote it from the Bible and I did. Isa 30:25

Now what is your problem? Was it to simply put? Maybe there should be more complex scriptures for people to interpret. Then that way they can argue; get over heated and jump up and down.

Ask yourself one question though---how did the goat herder know of the word, tower? Further more a slaughter in a tower? The word slaughter, yes, but what did they have towers in those fields back then?

And just in case you want the full version from some one more verse than I.... L. Ray Smith - IN THE DAY OF THE GREAT SLAUGHTER

There you go---jump up and down now and get red in the face. Nostradamus--oh please try to keep it real.

Last edited by Ellis Bell; 12-27-2009 at 11:17 AM.. Reason: Isa 30:25

Old 12-27-2009, 11:16 AM

1,317 posts, read 2,056,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by actonbell View Post
Excuse me, I answered the OP's question. Which was, Bible prophecy from the Bible that has been fulfilled today. It asked to quote it from the Bible and I did.

Now what is your problem? Was it to simply put? Maybe there should be more complex scriptures for people to interpret. Then that way they can argue; get over heated and jump up and down.

Ask yourself one question though---how did the goat herder know of the word, tower? Further more a slaughter in a tower? The word slaughter, yes, but what did they have towers in those fields back then?

And just in case you want the full version from some one more verse than I.... L. Ray Smith - IN THE DAY OF THE GREAT SLAUGHTER

There you go---jump up and down now and get red in the face. Nostradamus--oh please try to keep it real.
Oh teh great L Ray Smith, my bad

Got some spare tinfoil hats on special if you're interested....

Old 12-27-2009, 11:28 AM

15,754 posts, read 7,602,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme58 View Post
Oh teh great L Ray Smith, my bad

Got some spare tinfoil hats on special if you're interested....
Yes it is ominous isn't it. Don't know that it creates paranoia though, but keep working it...could be scary enough. Too scary to read or consider.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality